Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisfole View Post
Ok, interesting. The bus I'm looking at is a double decker transit bus, it's a diesel pusher. The floor is really low because it's a low bridge model (so it's Street legal in all states)... There's really no space underneath. Boondocking is important to us... As is AC. Not sure if the bus will work with those constraints without some serious creativity.
WHat's the headroom on that thing? Usually you get two levels suitable for hobbits.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:37 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Leyland
Chassis: Leyland
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 17500, probably kg
It's pretty short, like all the folks in our family. I think about 6.5' per floor The real draw here is the added square footage that allows separate sleeping spaces for our kids who definitely can't be sharing rooms just yet.
Crisfole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:50 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
how much actual driving do you plan to do in this behemoth?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:55 AM   #24
Skoolie

A decent amount. Still smaller than the RVs we were looking at. Tons of 13.5' RVs, but the ones we were looking at we're 37' or longer...I won't buy without test drive, though.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
It's pretty short, like all the folks in our family. I think about 6.5' per floor The real draw here is the added square footage that allows separate sleeping spaces for our kids who definitely can't be sharing rooms just yet.
At a total height of 13'6", I doubt you have ceiling heigths of 6'6". That would leave only 6" for roof thickness, 2 floor thicknesses and the ground clearance.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
At a total height of 13'6", I doubt you have ceiling heigths of 6'6". That would leave only 6" for roof thickness, 2 floor thicknesses and the ground clearance.

I've thought the same thing, and most of these buses have at least 6" ground clearance. More like 5 1/2' per floor I'd guess.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #27
Skoolie

You're probably right. I don't think they're even heights either.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
You'll wish you hadn't, unless you get a super quiet genny.
Short of solidly ducting the exhaust to vent out, I see CO poisoning in your future.
Is there no way to build a shelf over the back bumper, tasked to securely give the genny a home..?
This my plan for my Honda EU 3000 tht will be monted where the stairwell for the entry door currently is. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-G...erator-Exhaust
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
[QUOTE=Rivetboy;340761]This my plan for my Honda EU 3000 tht will be monted where the stairwell for the entry door currently is.
Camco Black 44461 Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust System
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
This my plan for my Honda EU 3000 tht will be monted where the stairwell for the entry door currently is. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-G...erator-Exhaust
If you have more than the one egress I can see that as a good solution. Me, I've got the jack-knife in the front, and e-door in the back, so not an option for me!
Old 07-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Thomas B2B
Chassis: 281TS
Engine: MBE 926 7.2L 211HP
Rated Cap: 29,000 LBS
If the interior height is good for you and your family, go for it man!! I will just add that as you travel the country off the beaten trail, just be mindful of the entrances to some gas stations and some of those country roads. That has been our biggest challenge while traveling, beating up and bending up the bottom of our car while on the tow dolly!
Tarheel Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Yeah, I knew I had to put all the weight downstairs! How would that vent? CO poisoning is no fun....
Just run an exhaust pipe up to roof level. Easy!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:12 PM   #33
Skoolie

OK, update based on photo from seller:

**EDIT: Here's the link...apparently my photo uploads don't work (yet?)**

https://ibb.co/ZRrkVC9

From the look of it there's a bunch more under-bus space than I thought. The floor _is_ low, but the steps up raise the floor some yet to be discovered amount. Still waiting on a video walkthrough which will hopefully include a peek at the undercarriage and a better idea of the internal height.

This may be a 100% irrelevant thread...
Old 07-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #34
Skoolie

Any motorhome built before basement models came into existence (late 80's early 90's) had most the mechanical stuff above the floor level. My old '77 Holiday Rambler on an E350 chassis, had the water tank in the kitchen cabinets, furnace and water heater under the couch, and the generator enclosure (top half anyway) under a dinette seat. Waste holding tanks were under the floor, but were only like 6" tall. It wasn't quite as low as a low floor bus though. As you said, with some creativity, I think it can happen.

You might specifically look at the 70's GMC motorhome, floor was quite low. Lots of information online about them to see how stuff was packaged.
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #35
Skoolie

Awesome to know! I presume your rambler's Genny enclosure was against a wall and vented directly outside?
Old 08-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
When I had an idealistic notion to convert a Bristol Lodekka into a sort-of mobile bachelor pad back in the idealistic 1970s when bachelor pads were a big thing, I quickly realized that all the heavy stuff had to go inside in the ground floor (first floor in Yank-speak), then all the upper floor would be a groovy open-plan bedsit. This means that all the tanks, propane, generator, kitchen, loo and shower have to be inside. Putting a generator inside a soundproof enclosure will work well as long as it can cool itself; this pretty much eliminates cheapo air-cooled generators and instead requires one to use a water-cooled RV generator with a remote radiator.

There are plenty of folk in England and elsewhere who've converted double-deckers - YouTube has some videos showing what's possible. There's even a BCM member in N.Carolina who's converting a Daimler Fleetline.

John
I was going to suggest the same thing. Build a utility room on the first and/or second floor that is fully enclosed and sealed from the interior. Have it vented to the outside if needed and route all intake and exhausts for appliances to the outside. Line it with sound dampening material to minimize generator noise. Creative fabrication!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
OK, update based on photo from seller:

**EDIT: Here's the link...apparently my photo uploads don't work (yet?)**

https://ibb.co/ZRrkVC9

From the look of it there's a bunch more under-bus space than I thought. The floor _is_ low, but the steps up raise the floor some yet to be discovered amount. Still waiting on a video walkthrough which will hopefully include a peek at the undercarriage and a better idea of the internal height.

This may be a 100% irrelevant thread...
Looks like it would make a cool rv!!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
This is a tough nut to crack!. Where to put a generator?. I figure that what cargo trailers are for. But without one my vote would be for above rear bumper with a custom hitch made to be able to tow the car.
Sorry, off topic, but have you started a thread about the gearing in a transit bus? Does it have a highway gear?
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote