Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #21
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Sorry for the drifting of the thread. Maybe someone will come along with the answers you need.
Not many of us have ever had to deal with what you're trying to do, sorry.
Best I can suggest is start making a lot of inquiries. Maybe you can get it all worked out and post something to help others who may end up needing the same advice you're seeking.
Best of luck!

Dont be sorry, I enjoy what ppl have to say and their experience as much as they do! often not getting and strait answer, let to other also imported things one never would imagine !

meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
LoL

I like dutch breakfast
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
LoL

I like dutch breakfast
no kidding , bootje aardbeien en a beer, dutch have one of the worse kitchen I have ever tasted, they got saved from the ppl of their colonies living in Holland because they have gooooood food , Indonesia and Caribbean
meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meabus View Post
hahaha that's fun, I never considered VLA as food but its lekker , but I guess everything eatable is considered as food, that said I never did consider a McDonalds as restaurant either..lol and easy on your stomach if one does not eat toooooooo much..

But I started this thread to find out about "registering a Bus as a none American Citizen" we got from getting kidnapped, to spending for a perhaps 1000 dollar Trip to 20K and 11K shipping, (which I dont think this is nearly accurate) either, but easy to find out which I will, to being an arrogant American , to Holland and now even VLA..lol

Still I dont have the answer about Registration

I gave you your answer and you just ignore it. You could have easily called and DMV and they would have told you. The 11k was quoted to me about 4 yrs ago to import a 6x6 into Costa Rica. Your driving into Nic from CR is nothing in comparison of what you might run into, i know because i have been to Magua Nic. For you to think you will just slip past MS13 is just wishful thinking. Good luck.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...osta_Rica.html

4. Re: Is it insane to drive to Costa Rica?
Jan 01, 2012, 9:36 PM
There are a few people who've done it successfully but I am not aware of anyone doing it with kids. At any rate, I had a conversation with a guy a while ago who had been driving his VW Van down from California.

Questioned whether he had had any problems while on the road, he simply answered: "Lots!"

I asked "Robberies? Violence?" and he answered "I was kid-napped in Mexico - twice." He said just about everything had been stolen from him - several times over. Spare tires? Gone. Tent? Gone. Cash? Gone. Tires on the van? Gone. Personal belongings? Gone.

In other words, while there are certainly people who do so without too many problems, others - apparently - encounter lots of them. Be prepared for trouble - and not just in Mexico. There's plenty of trouble to be had in El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala, too.

I've taken quite a few trips throughout Guatemala - several had guards with machine guns as accompaniment, depending on where the trip went...

Some people have told me about problems in Nicaragua, too - but I've never encountered a dicey situation there. In general, I always feel safe traveling in Nicaragua. Costa Rica has the fewest problems.

Do not travel at night - unless you are trying to get away from some serious trouble. Hotels are easy to find, as are gas stations.

I might add that I would never, ever try to do this with my kids. I also would not do this with my wife. I also would abstain as anyone over 30 - by then you should have more sense.

Such a trip, currently, is not recommendable. That's really all there is.

Edited: 9:39 pm, January 01, 2012

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #25
Bus Nut

:whist ling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
This is absolutely not true, as long as you don't act like an asshole and don't treat people like trash you'll be fine pretty much anywhere in the world. Xenophobic American Idiocy never ceases to amaze me... "DON'T GO THERE! THOSE PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT AND WILL KILL YOU BECAUSE THEY'RE DIFFERENT!!!!!! HURR DURP A DURP WHARGARBBL!!!" Give me a break...
Have you done the trip? I very well know abouut being a us citizen in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. I doubt you heard about a gang robbing a tourist bus in the NE area of Costa Rica. Yes you better have a buch of cash or quick acess. Just google about the dangers of driving from the USA to Costa Rica.
I know a guy that went along on a bus drive to Belieze. While in Mexico he got into an argument with some locals and he backed them down. Late that night and way down the road about 10 pm at a motel a buch showed up looking for revenge against the guy i know. Were it not for the clerk calling them up and warning them not to answer there door saved him. This guy is loade with muscles a former boxer, very street wise and he said never again.

Should you go then look at it to "Expect the worst but hope for the best.

The idea of bringing down along side the road in like El Salvador, Guat, Belize and Mexico and still being there over night.
I have no idea of how to be safe in that situation. So i won't do it.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I'm not a US citizen, but I had no problem purchasing, registering or insuring my bus. Why do you think you may have problems doing this? The only issue I can think of is that you'll need a US address for the DMV and insurance - do you have friends there who can be your temporary domicile?

Some years ago my sister and her then-boyfriend drove an old Mercedes bus from Canada to Costa Rica where it broke down irrepairably. Her boyfriend left, but she stayed in Costa Rica for four years and loved it there. I don't recollect her saying anything about problems driving through Mexico or Central America, but it was a while ago and lots has changed since then. I just got back last week from three weeks in Mexico (but not with my bus!), and I had absolutely no problems there at all. Everyone I encountered was unfailingly courteous and helpful. If you're worried about driving there, keep to the Cuotas (toll roads), but they're expensive if you're driving long distances. Obviously the non-toll roads are more fun, but more potentially dangerous. If you have to drive at night, only use the Cuotas. It's now about 18 pesos to the dollar, much better than a few years ago when it was only 11 or 12, so your money goes further than before. Just don't look or act like a gringo!

I lived in Rotterdam for four years when my father was the British consul there, and I have plenty of good memories of life in NL then and subsequently. When I later worked offshore in the North Sea I would fly into Schiphol and then take a KLM helicopter out to the rig that was 150 km NNW of Den Helder. I still miss uitsmijters. Good times!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I'm not a US citizen, but I had no problem purchasing, registering or insuring my bus. Why do you think you may have problems doing this? The only issue I can think of is that you'll need a US address for the DMV and insurance - do you have friends there who can be your temporary domicile?

Some years ago my sister and her then-boyfriend drove an old Mercedes bus from Canada to Costa Rica where it broke down irrepairably. Her boyfriend left, but she stayed in Costa Rica for four years and loved it there. I don't recollect her saying anything about problems driving through Mexico or Central America, but it was a while ago and lots has changed since then. I just got back last week from three weeks in Mexico (but not with my bus!), and I had absolutely no problems there at all. Everyone I encountered was unfailingly courteous and helpful. If you're worried about driving there, keep to the Cuotas (toll roads), but they're expensive if you're driving long distances. Obviously the non-toll roads are more fun, but more potentially dangerous. If you have to drive at night, only use the Cuotas. It's now about 18 pesos to the dollar, much better than a few years ago when it was only 11 or 12, so your money goes further than before. Just don't look or act like a gringo!

I lived in Rotterdam for four years when my father was the British consul there, and I have plenty of good memories of life in NL then and subsequently. When I later worked offshore in the North Sea I would fly into Schiphol and then take a KLM helicopter out to the rig that was 150 km NNW of Den Helder. I still miss uitsmijters. Good times!

John
I stayed a week or two in Rotterdam. I love that city.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
The only issue I can think of is that you'll need a US address for the DMV and insurance - do you have friends there who can be your temporary domicile?

John
This.............
As far as I know, every state requires you to "show" residency in the state.
Might be as simple as showing some utility bills to them with a street address
to you.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Have you done the trip?
While I've not been quite that far south, I've spent alot of time in Mexican "Cartel Land" on a motorcycle. I've also done some time in north Africa. Worse thing I ran into was shitty black market gas. Seriously some of that stuff is more sand than fuel. I still firmly believe if you treat people with respect and don't act like a snob you'll be fine...

Also back on topic, there are several states that do non-resident registrations for motor vehicles... I think Vermont is one of the more poplar states to use, but here is the link to South Dakotas paperwork I found.
http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/Non..._residence.pdf
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
This.............
As far as I know, every state requires you to "show" residency in the state.
Might be as simple as showing some utility bills to them with a street address
to you.

Not so when I got a 30 day temp tag for my bus from texas.. I typed the VIN into the computer and paid $25 it spit out a 30 day tag.... im a resident of ohio.. all done online for thsat state... never had to set foot in a DMV.. picked up my tag at the hotel front desk printer blue taped it to the window and drove away

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Not to be difficult, but do they still use those international licenses? They're supposed to be useful in all (probably NATO) countries.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Heres a list of all countries that accept the IDL
I believe if you are driving a bus you'll need class D or DE if you have a trailer.

Albania
Guatemala
Peru
Algeria
Guyana
Philippines
Argentina
Haiti
Poland
Australia
Honduras
Portugal
Austria
Hong Kong
Romania
Bahamas
Hungary
Russian Federation
Bangladesh
Iceland
Rwanda
Barbados
India
St. Lucia
Belgium
Ireland
St. Vincent and Gren.
Belize
Israel
Samoa
Benin
Italy
San Marino
Botswana
Ivory coast
Senegal

Brazil
Jamaica

Seychelles
Bulgaria
Japan

Sierra Leone
Cambodia

Jordan
Singapore
Canada
Korea
Slovak Rep.
Central African Rep.
Kyrgyzstan
Republic
South Africa
Chile
Laos
Spain
Colombia
Lebanon
Sri Lanka
Congo, Rep. of
Lesotho
Surinam
Congo, Dem. Rep.
Luxembourg
Swaziland
Costa Rica
Macao
Sweden
Ivory Coast
Madagascar
Switzerland
Cuba
Malawi
Syria
Cyprus

Malaysia

Taiwan

Czech Republic
Mali
Tanzania
Denmark
Malta
Thailand
Dominican Republic
Mauritius
Togo
Ecuador
Mexico
Trinidad and Tobago
Egypt
Monaco
Tunisia
El Salvador
Morocco
Turkey
Fiji
Namibia
Uganda
Finland
Netherlands
United Kingdom
France
New Zealand
Gambia
Nicaragua
Uruguay
Germany
Niger
Vatican City
Georgia (Rep. of)
Norway
Venezuela
Ghana
Panama
Vietnam
Greece
Papua New Guinea
Zambia
Grenada
Paraguay
Zimbabwe

also former USSR republics that have accepted them
Armenia
Kazakstan
Tajikistan
Azerbaijan
Latvia
Turkmenistan
Belarus
Lithuania
Ukraine
Estonia
Moldova
Uzbekistan or Uzbekki bekki stan stan if you're nasty...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #33
Bus Geek

It was about a three hour test back in the day. The main point was simply recognizing other countries road signs. Road signs are becoming more standardized now, but Europe sill has some strange ones.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
The O.P asked about registration of a bus, not a license to drive.
And a temp. permit, 30 day or 14 day etc. is not a registration either.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
he may noit need a US registration permanently if he is just going to drive it to CR and lives there so I suggested a 30 day tag..

whys everyone so touchy uin this thread? Ligthen up peeps!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #36

Hi all,

I am a European citizen living in Mexico and I am planing to bring a converted skoolie here. After the research, I still have some question. It will be great if you have the answers.

- I am considering taking a Mexican international federal licence, tipe C for cargo trucks of more than 3.500 kg. (any non mexican with this licence here?) Once I buy the bus in USA, would I be able to drive the still not converted skoolie? Is it still considered a public transport?

- Once it is parked somewhere in usa, I would remove the chair and put some furnitures. Do I need to paint it? Do I need to change the status of the bus to a RV?

- If I want to drive out from USA in less than a week, what paperwork do I need to do beside the Insurance? I just need to be covered for a few miles and a few days.

- The plan is to enter Mexico as a temporal import RV, but today I was told that in order to temporally import and drive a RV with plates from the USA you have to be a USA resident. ?¿?¿? Is it really like this? If is was that way no european coudl drive a US shoolie in Mexico.

4- Once the bus is in Mexico, as a RV with a temporal import, and with the right driving licence. I guess that would be it.

I would appreciate anny comment if you had any experience.

Thanks!
Peras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
he may noit need a US registration permanently if he is just going to drive it to CR and lives there so I suggested a 30 day tag..

-Christopher
this thread "went south" fast
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
Unfortunately, you would likely get stuck at the Mexican border. A buddy of mine tried to take his new (to him) RV to Mexico with temporary tags and wound up, after spending a full day at the border, turning around and returning home.

You may find some useful information here: Registration for Non-Residents - AAA Digest of Motor Laws
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Possibly because nobody really thinks the subject matter went off key. An international license is certainly involved in this OPs venture. Christopher's temp tags were also on subject concerning passing through customs into Mexico while still exhibiting temporary tags in the OPs name. It seemed to all relate, sorta. Maybe it's one of those deals where you had to be there?

I think that sounds like one outrageous trip. At the same time everyone knows how valuable buses are in Mexico, which they have import taxes for. I'm not surprised if they won't let a bus through with temp tags, especially if it still had the seats in it.
The next question is would Mexico let a couple from a third country bring a bus into Mexico? I know nothing but hearsay about Mexico's customs but I'd guess they would say no again. Apparently there are special forms involved in bringing a bus like these into Mexico. Apparently you can cheat them once, then they won't let you enter any more.
So, sounds like a cool trip. I probably would be afraid to take my family through those countries when the children were young. I've read the stories of people getting ripped off down there, repeatedly, and worse. I'd like to try it, but not alone.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Possibly because nobody really thinks the subject matter went off key. An international license is certainly involved in this OPs venture. Christopher's temp tags were also on subject concerning passing through customs into Mexico while still exhibiting temporary tags in the OPs name. It seemed to all relate, sorta. Maybe it's one of those deals where you had to be there?

I think that sounds like one outrageous trip. At the same time everyone knows how valuable buses are in Mexico, which they have import taxes for. I'm not surprised if they won't let a bus through with temp tags, especially if it still had the seats in it.
The next question is would Mexico let a couple from a third country bring a bus into Mexico? I know nothing but hearsay about Mexico's customs but I'd guess they would say no again. Apparently there are special forms involved in bringing a bus like these into Mexico. Apparently you can cheat them once, then they won't let you enter any more.
So, sounds like a cool trip. I probably would be afraid to take my family through those countries when the children were young. I've read the stories of people getting ripped off down there, repeatedly, and worse. I'd like to try it, but not alone.
No advantage to "cheating" as far as Mexico goes. You must get a TIP (temporary import permit) when you enter the country. Then you turn it in when you leave the country. Where you get into trouble is if you get the TIP and don't turn it in when you cross the border leaving.

If you fail to turn it in they assume that the vehicle is still in the country and you have imported it illegally. You loose your deposit and may be denied future applications for TIP.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote