Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Skoolie

On-board vacuum systems

I've been seeing posts on cleaning/keeping clean skoolies and other rigs, and many seem to be getting away from carpeting due to cleaning issues.

One thing I am planning on installing on my rig is a built-in vacuum rig.
I'm NOT going to use the expensive (and sometimes bulky) vac motor units, I'm going to rig (with an adapter) a shopvac that I got from Grainger. The vac will plug into an outlet in the basement hanger, and that outlet will be controlled from a wall switch in a convenient location.
That way I can remove the vac to clean my toad, etc.

The vac will be stashed/installed in the 'basement', in a compartment that has ventilation but is protected from road crap. It doesn't need to be insulated.
The vac tubes themselves will be the ones sold in home centers for central vac systems, essentially the tubing, ells, tees and covers, etc. The same chase(s) that hold propane/electrical stuff can hold the vac tubing.

The wand and hose can be stashed in a closet or cabinet. Hmmm, maybe I can slip the hose through a hole in the floor for storage, it can pile up next to the vac, and the attachments can be slipped in a drawer that covers the vac hose hole.......

I'd appreciate comments and suggestions in this thread.

I'm acquiring the materials and ideas first, THEN looking for the skoolie of my dreams, seems something with a DT466 and a stick is the way to go. That way I have the materials/etc. on hand, and when I buy the bus I can bust out the conversion in a couple weeks (I do contracting work, and know what I'm doing with cabinetry, etc.)

Old 03-29-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds like a good idea. My Grandpa had an old Open Road motorhome that had a central vac. I think it was around a '76 or '78 model year. That's about all I can tell you about it since I was about 7 or 8 at the time he had it.

Perhaps somebody makes a small central vac system for RV's? Might be worth researching more.
My Bus Blog (hasn't been updated in a LONG time)
AK-Brando is offline   Reply With Quote