Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2021, 05:55 PM   #21

Year: 2007
Coachwork: C2 Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 7
I bought Ford F-150 seat with seat bell attachment to the seat . Cost 50 Canadian $ .

rycatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:33 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
This is my Audi A4 seat mounted above the wheel. At the time I had not seen Oscars wheel well cut down idea. But this way I got some shoe storage next to te steps

Click image for larger version

Name:	C51D0EAC-7D2F-44AE-A49C-85DE68821621.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	56390

An integrated seat belt would have been great but I got such a deal on this seat.
Note that I had to weld a bar across a window to attach the seat belt to my wife’s liking. Yes it is a bit behind the drivers seat but the position and height is great just perfect for looking out of that first window.

A guy recently mounted his passenger seat directly behind the steps. He made a removable cedar platform to go over the steps so the passengers feet didn’t dangle.

My drivers seat is fron a Chevy Avalanche. The seats don’t match but they’re both black leather and both comfy.

Peace y’all
Attached Thumbnails
5712EDF7-F413-43DD-983E-EDA102C1EE16.jpg  
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Wheelwell cut down with a cage over to mount swivel air ride for passenger, plus seat belt. Dinette behind driver with seat belts as well.Attachment 56213
How much of the wheel tub did you remove?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Here is how I set up our passenger seat. It is able to swivel around to use the table.
Awesome !!
Crookedgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:42 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
How much of the wheel tub did you remove?
Hello Marc
I cut down straight from the chair rail and removed 4.5" then welded in flat plate. There is still 7.5" clearance to the tire. This allowed for line of sight for the passenger to be low enough to not be obstructed by the front upper cap. The bump stop on the front axle has 2.5" travel so even allowing for articulation there should be no chance of contact unless I'm flying off a cliff and then I guess there's bigger issues to worry about! The seat and belt are from a 2018 Kenworth and the cage I welded is installed with 11 grade eight bolts all spaced to bolt through the bus floor structure members. After installing it I had it inspected by CVSE which is our commercial vehicle enforcement here in BC. they questioned my design of the cage and location and when I said the location above the axle was far enough from the front end and being directly over the axle it offered the most passenger protection from front and side impact and the idea of the cage was to protect the passenger from front tire blow out damage they were happy to sign off on it.
A lot of screwing around to make it all fit but very happy with the result. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	56393
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Wheelwell cut down with a cage over to mount swivel air ride for passenger, plus seat belt. Dinette behind driver with seat belts as well.Attachment 56213

We plan a similar set up but further forward. There will be a hinged panel that drops down over the stairwell. when up the panel will be just barely off the front of the pax seat and lock in place. It will have a hand rail for entry and exit. Underway it will drop down to provide a solid floor in front of the pax.
It will swivel for use as "living room" seat when entertaining.
Also planning a steel tube cage to be securely bolted through structure under the floor.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
We plan a similar set up but further forward. There will be a hinged panel that drops down over the stairwell. when up the panel will be just barely off the front of the pax seat and lock in place. It will have a hand rail for entry and exit. Underway it will drop down to provide a solid floor in front of the pax.
It will swivel for use as "living room" seat when entertaining.
Also planning a steel tube cage to be securely bolted through structure under the floor.
Sounds like you've got a great plan Ham.
We've only had a few extended road trips but so far the co pilot is very happy with the seat comfort and visability wise. I like your idea of the fold up stair filler, I've been trying to design a filler panel also. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	59900
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:03 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Well I haven't started fitting things.....still in demo..... but the idea is an aluminum or iron angle attached to the forward side of the stair well with the panel dropping down onto that angle for support at the front. Full width piano hinge at the rear edge, and some sort of "assist" for lifting it to the stowed position.

I want the seat to lock and be usable as a seat belted position when rearward facing and the drop panel up ...... there will be a time that we need to get in an out a lot while also moving the bus and having to deal with the panel every time would be a pain.

I also want it to be able to swivel with the panel up "just in case".

I suspect we will have to have a double hinged panel though in order to avoid a huge hole (or having the panel block the entry) to the right of the driver at the top of the stairs.

So many things to plan....we'll be so glad to get the demo done, get the floor treated, and lay down some tape lines on the floor and cardboard walls in areas we're concerned about.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote