Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 35
Send a message via AIM to buswizard
Prepping interior for paint....suggestions?

Hello all!

I just finished removing all of the seats I plan to take out of my shortie. Woo that was a job - I can only imagine how long it would take a person to remove the seats from a full-sizer! I want to work on painting the interior of the bus now. I want to paint the metal side walls and the back of the bus (beneath the rear windows). I'm not sure what to do in the way of priming (or what kind of paint to use). I know I'll need to clean the area to be painted well. Any suggestions? Clean with a wire brush? I want to use a paint color similar to that of the ceiling (as shown in the picture).

Here are some pics.
Thanks for the help!

-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02745.jpg  

buswizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Almost There

Re: Prepping interior for paint....suggestions?

Hi there, I washed my walls and ceiling with oxyclean, sanded lightly, wiped with alcohol and sprayed with Krylon, nice colors, but not too impressed with stickability Alcohol also dissolved the glue residues....Leslie
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Almost There

Hey Smitty, where were your glasses? I said I sanded lightly.... isn't that the same as scuffing?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Almost There

Having too much fun on your building project me thinks..... Leslie
Old 05-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 35
Send a message via AIM to buswizard

Thanks guys for your help!

I followed your advice and made sure to prep the area before diving into the project. I took a small sample of peeling paint to Home Depot and they were able to match it perfectly! Total cost for the job was $42.00 and I have a 1/2 gallon of paint left over I have no doubt it will come in handy as I make my way around different areas of the bus. The color matched so perfectly I didn't even need to pain the ceiling, front or area by the "Emergency Door" decal.

I didn't worry about protecting the floor as I plan to lay hardwood over it once it's prepped.

Check it out!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02777.jpg  
buswizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #6

Year: 1983
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: all american
Engine: 3208 cat
Rated Cap: 48

To prep for painting metal I would first clean the area very well with soap and hot water . Next use 320 wet dry sandpaper and scuff sand the area be sure to get all areas to be painted. This will help with adhesion of the paint. The next step is to wash the area with a silicone wash to remove all wax and oils. Finally use a good grade of enamel paint Ihave had good luck with rustoleum from aco or home-depot. for real good result you can use a procedure called roll and tipping. to do this properly you should go to a marine hardware store and get aroller made from mohair with a very short knap. almost no fuzz in the finish. also pick up a decent brush made for oil paints . start roolling your paint from one side of your project to the other .do not start in the middle. after you roll a foot or so take your dry brush and just tip the fresh paint from top to bottom overlapping the strokes always keep a wet edge as you move along your project. you will see the stipple from the roller flow out with the bruth stroke leavinng you with a pretty decent finish. This is the best way short of spraying that I know of Good luck
furnitureguy is offline   Reply With Quote