Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
I also went the signature solar route. Lifepower4 batteries about 5Kwh each (4 or those for about 20 kwH) with the eg4 6500ex all-in-one inverter charger with mppt solar inputs.

To me - after waaaay too many hours of researching - it was a best balance of user-friendly, capability, efficiency, warranty, and price.

https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:13 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
sounds like I need a really nice charge controiller / BMS where I can set the target SOC when being charged.. and stay in that 20-80% unless I know ill be running extended in which id top em off..
I solved this problem by stopping charge at 54.4V (LFP, 16S, so 3.4V per cell). At 80% SoC in the charge cycle, voltage on LFP starts to climb rapidly / "hockey stick" up to 3.65V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
but since im rather inexperienced I need to find something somewhat idiot proof..
Bulk/absorb/float at 3.4V per cell, done.

(imo)
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
I also went the signature solar route. Lifepower4 batteries about 5Kwh each (4 or those for about 20 kwH) with the eg4 6500ex all-in-one inverter charger with mppt solar inputs.

To me - after waaaay too many hours of researching - it was a best balance of user-friendly, capability, efficiency, warranty, and price.
We too did tons of research and had settled on the Victron multiplus at 24 volts using EG4 batteries. Then Signature came out with the EG6.5 certified all in one that would be 100% compatible with the EG4's we had already purchased.
Since the inverter includes TWO MPPT charge controllers (another $650 with Victron), 120 amp charger (50 amps more than the Victron), and relocatable LCD screen (requiring TWO boxes and about $700 more to do with the Victon).
With the EG4 inverter saving hundreds of dollars, simplifying installation, being totally compatible.......
It was a NO BRAINER
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote