Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #1

recommendations for tablet-based camera and monitoring setup

Hey folks,
Im looking at mounting a tablet in my dash and using a bluetooth backup camera and have it connect to audio system for tunes. I imagine there are other cool apps for things like monitoring engine performance (i have a 7.3 powerstroke), battery charge, tank levels, etc. I would love to get other peoples perspective on what has worked. FYI I would much prefer android tablet solutions vs ipad solutions.
Thanks!

colorado_hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I have the Bluefire data adapter. It basically reads the information from your ECM and bluetooth connects to the app.

I too have a 7.3 (2000) and honestly, I'm a bit disappointed in the amount of data that the Bluefire provides, at least out of the box. I haven't dove into all it can do, but my preliminary research using the app shows it's got a lot more information for newer vehicles. This makes sense, because the ECMs have more information to provide.

You might want to check out what all your ECM provides and match that up to what parameters the Bluefire is set to read.

If you have a TCM for your tranny, and it coordinates with the ECM, you might get some of that info too. I have no TCM, so I'm not sure about that.

If you have a RE bus, hopefully you have a rear and front data port. I plug mine into my front data port and the signal has to travel an amazing 1' to my phone.

Per the bluetooth cameras, I haven't researched them yet.

What is the transmission range on those?

Can the apps deal with multiple cameras? I'm thinking front dashcam, side mirrors use.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:01 PM   #3

ive been looking all day, it seems like there is not a good bluetooth app. Bluetooth doesnt work well with video. Either its a wireless thing to your tablet which honestly seems kind of problematic or it is a dedicated solution with its own screen. I even researched getting a wired camera and just using the android tablet for a display and there are not good options there.
I think the easiest solution would involve two screens, one for the tablet with OBD monitoring, electrical system monitoring, and tunes and another screen dedicated to the backup camera.
Curious to here from some been-there-done-that folks though
colorado_hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I believe Cadillackid has done some coding work to tap more into his ECM. He has a 7.3, but with a 2004 ECM...not sure if that provides more parameters for the Bluefire. I believe he has a glass panel setup. You might check his profile and albums to see if there are any pictures.

Yeah, I didn't think about the limits of bluetooth. Not sure why wireless wouldn't work? Is there a specific reason?