Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #1

Registering Bus as Motorhome in GA

So I just got through this process:

I pulled the seats out of the bus, and repainted it. Took before and after pictures with me.

I filled out the title MV-1 form, go the officer to come do the VIN inspection (which was not filed since we did a "model change").

The lady at the tag office had me fill out a "Model Change" form and she called the state office while I was there and she filed the paper work for me.

I have tags on the bus, the registration says HC (HomeCoach) which means it's legally an RV now and I'm good to go! God is good

I did have to pay taxes first, then get insurance, then I could get my tag, a little two step there.

rclong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Good to know. I'm in GA too, where did you purchase yours? And what are the details on your bus?

I'm looking around for a decent bus.
bakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
YAHOO RC and congratulations. I love it when things go smoothly at any DMV office considering the horror stories I have read here.

We're in Gainesville where are you located?
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
White county isn't as up on the regulations, I would love to find out which DMV was so I could visit them instead.

Was that the MV-1 form or the MV-100 form? I can't find a MV-1 form online.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #5

I wanted to ask about insurance and then I noticed the thread was started June of last year.
Headache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:57 AM   #6
Skoolie

Threads go on and on and on.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #7

I'm located in Demorest, I drive for habersham county for now. I am still looking for a bus if anyone has suggestions for where to look.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Ya'll have a gang here

What are your colors? National schoolbus chrome yellow

I wish more folks around me had buses
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
Ya'll have a gang here

What are your colors? National schoolbus chrome yellow

I wish more folks around me had buses
This.

There are a few around me coming out of the wood work.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
But Bansil they do... they just use them for storage and chicken coops. I know I seen a few in back yards in Elizabethton piled full of junk!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerz View Post
I'm located in Demorest, I drive for habersham county for now. I am still looking for a bus if anyone has suggestions for where to look.
Have you looked at Wade's in Alto? Is he still buying/selling school buses?
Old 03-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Nat,
I noticed that!

Lorna, Thats not good to hear....because I want to get chickens...Lisa doesnt want them....I dont want them to move into La Tortuga!!!

She is like "you know free range doesn't mean you just let them do what they want!"

ugh...yeah....

"No"..."they are like little babies...until you kill them and eat them....they need more care than hamsters"....I failed hamster 101 after 3rd case of wet tail.....sad days

So what were we talking about?

Ah chicken cooopppss.....buses!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
Nat,
I noticed that!

Lorna, Thats not good to hear....because I want to get chickens...Lisa doesnt want them....I dont want them to move into La Tortuga!!!

She is like "you know free range doesn't mean you just let them do what they want!"

ugh...yeah....

"No"..."they are like little babies...until you kill them and eat them....they need more care than hamsters"....I failed hamster 101 after 3rd case of wet tail.....sad days

So what were we talking about?

Ah chicken cooopppss.....buses!
More care than hamsters?!?!
We have 16 chickens for egg production...14 hens and 2 Roo's to watch over them. We're getting about a dozen eggs a day right now...lol miscalculated that one, but we do enjoy eating eggs. Anyhow they are not much time or care at all... we set up the coop in our barnlette (it's about the size of a horse stall) and a couple of protected runs for them outside. I go and get eggs and top off water and food in AM check mid day (we have an egg eater that will get them if I don't) and then close the doors in the evening after they have put themselves to bed. We clean the coops about once a week, it takes about half hour. We now supply her workplace with eggs every few days. She who must be obeyed and my 17 YO daughter love going out to spend time with them when they have time. They are cool critters, smarter than you think too. Raising meaties is even easier as I understand it, but more heartbreak than the girls want. Something about "raising and loving an animal to kill and eat" that they are not sure they can manage...
Anyhow chickens are a good thing, and quite entertaining. Did I mention they are great insect control?
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
Bus Geek

yes on insect control!!!

we shall see how this goes...of course I will do a thread if it happens...drove by TSC yesterday i said 'look they have chicks"

she rolled her eyes...she has done the chicks,rabbits,pigs, cows and tobacco thing...so we'll see

I have done the hamsters, iguanas, ferrets and of course cats and dogs....

chickens....Im just thinking.....beer can on the grill and rotisserie stuffed with herbs lololol
Old 03-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Of course you can always run into Johnson City, stop at Sam's and buy a case of whole chickens to do that with. OR drive the bus to Sam's Club, park in their parking lot, spend the night and have their $5 cooked rotisserie chicken for supper. To cook or not to cook?

ME? I would rather stop at Primo's and have some garlic knots and the Spicy Bowtie Chicken. I can park at Wal-Mart and walk across the street. I do miss that restaurant.

On edit... Just thinking about it makes me wonder if Das Mel & I shouldn't swing a little north for a bit of food in October. I LOVE the Spicy Bowtie Chicken.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
Bus Geek

let us know.....we could eat some vittles this fall, gotta get ready for next winter
Old 03-23-2015, 05:00 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerz View Post

How long have you worked for the county? Wade has a few good buses if you can catch Walter. He drives for Banks so you know how the schedules goes.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
You need to schedule your visits to Wades around school holidays and most usually anytime after 3:00 in the afternoon. We got our bus from him and he has been very helpful. I'm not sure what or how things are going over there right now. His brother got into a motorcycle accident awhile back and I think they had to close the place down for a month or two once school started back.

We never really scheduled our visits over there, just usually showed up late afternoon and have caught him there everytime.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
How long have you worked for the county? Wade has a few good buses if you can catch Walter. He drives for Banks so you know how the schedules goes.
Not long, about 5 months. I did stop by there once but I guess whoever was running the shop that day didn't like the way I dressed, talked or could just tell I wasn't a distant relative of his... Gave me the "your not from around here" vibe. Sad thing is I am a native Georgian, but grew up in the city so I have no accent, so I have been told. My father in law said one brother at wades was helpful and the other was not... Guess it wasn't Walter I met
Old 03-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #20
Skoolie

Yeah, Johnny is the other brother, Walter runs the place. Johnny isn't very helpful, when he is there.

Have you met a drivers assistant for the special needs bus, named Tavenier. Some times he has long hair, sometimes short, some times a beard, other times not, but always dirty blonde?