Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoogie View Post
We have kept ours due to the fact we also use this bus for moving speakers for our DJ/Sound company. However remember if yours works it's worth anywhere from $4000 to $10000 to the right buyer. I would be very careful taking it out of the bus & would dismantle it & keep all the pieces.
$4-$10K, show me anyone interested at that price. I can get these all day long for anywhere from FREE to $100-$200. They weren't even that expensive when new. I new one today is $5K.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
I had one in my Bluebird also. We used the same method as Don and Mary just unbolted it and pushed it out the door. It landed feet up and ok and we gave it away intact. (On the grass)
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: ???
Chassis: chevy express
Engine: v 3500 chevy
Rated Cap: 15
I haven't taken it out just yet ... many buses with wheel chair lifts have their seats attached to L-tracks so they can be moved to accommodate the wheel chairs. these tracks are a pain to remove. I'm hoping to finish them up today and then start to attack the lift. if anyone is interested in the lift let me know. I'm in the twin cities.
mnexpress2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitay@gmail.com View Post
Hey the wheel chair life should be removed af one piece. If you still got it. Id be interested!

see last post above
Old 03-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #25
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: N/A
Chassis: Chevy C30
Engine: 7.4L gas
Rated Cap: 14,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnexpress2 View Post
I haven't taken it out just yet ... many buses with wheel chair lifts have their seats attached to L-tracks so they can be moved to accommodate the wheel chairs. these tracks are a pain to remove. I'm hoping to finish them up today and then start to attack the lift. if anyone is interested in the lift let me know. I'm in the twin cities.
We have the same tracks. Any tips on getting them out?
ladybird_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #26
Skoolie

keeping lift or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfrank14 View Post
I dont have a bus yet, still lurking and learning.
Why wouldn't you want to keep the lift?
My thinking is, same as a truck lift gate, you can load and unload heavy things .
I kept the lift with my two shuttle busses in both eventually sold them. What I did and this really is nice is I made a playatech easy stage, which is slotted plywood, each module is 4x8 and I have three of them making a platform 8x12'
This gives me a nice platform. So inside behind the drivers seat I have a bulkhead with an inwall propane fireplace and another bulkhead that makes for a bedroom in the back, the space between the bulkheads are the living area and in warm weather being able to step outside the wheel chair lift doors onto the platform gives it a real spacious feeling.
Bluespoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #27
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespoet View Post
I kept the lift with my two shuttle busses in both eventually sold them. What I did and this really is nice is I made a playatech easy stage, which is slotted plywood, each module is 4x8 and I have three of them making a platform 8x12'
This gives me a nice platform. So inside behind the drivers seat I have a bulkhead with an inwall propane fireplace and another bulkhead that makes for a bedroom in the back, the space between the bulkheads are the living area and in warm weather being able to step outside the wheel chair lift doors onto the platform gives it a real spacious feeling.
Do you have pictures? I'd love to see them!
We'd like to turn the door itself into a deck, by hingeing it at the bottom and installing some sort of weight-bearing winch system, but I don't know if that's feasible just now.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #28
Skoolie

keeping lift or not

I am an old guy, just dont know how to post the pics I have.\
If I were to convert door to a deck, I would make a steel frame, either a box frame for the inside or weld it to the bus frame. This could be that you remove the wheel chair lift doors, weld square frame on the inside allowing for the width of the doors. Then create a door with the wheel chair lift doors as a fascia or any surface that you like, lowering the doors can be done with a boat trailer winch or you can get an electric winch at harbor freight. The challenge would be how do you support the draw bridge once it is lowered?
Another support idea would be to weld some square stock underneath the frame of the bus and have a platform slide from underneath to form a deck.

I would be inclined to hinge something to the door area connecting to the vehicle frame, in this way, you dont have to build a cage inside and lower by hand, going back to the square stock idea, you could have smaller square stock inside larger square stock so the larger is welded transverse on the frame for the smaller sq stock to slide out. That may be enough to support a hinged deck or you may have to use some kind of telescoping supports or even rv trailer jacks (my preference) I am a retired steel fabricator. or go to playatech, order easy stage plans and build a slotted plywood deck, that comes apart for travel and sets up in just a couple of min which is what I did.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #29
Skoolie

or keep the wheel chair lift, just add on to it when it is open, so you modify the lift.
So assuming you open the lift you have a 3'x4' platform, figure out a way to have some leaves attach when it is open and store the leaves inside when closed or remove the lips and hinge some plywood and support it.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #30
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespoet View Post
I am an old guy, just dont know how to post the pics I have.
Wow! Thank you for all of that! I'm a younger person, so perhaps I can reciprocate by helping you be able to post pics. It's pretty simple.
When you're writing a comment or post, there's a tool bar at the top of the white box you type in.
Click on the little paperclip (My first image below has a red arrow pointing to it). When you do that, another window will pop up (the second image below) and you click where it says 'choose file'.
If the pictures are on the computer you're using, find them from the box that will pop up (they might be in a location called 'photos' or 'pictures', or maybe 'downloads' on your computer - it will depend how they were saved when they were downloaded from the internet or uploaded from a camera), click once on one image and then its filename will appear next to the 'choose file' box. (see third image here. Yours won't say 'screenshot'. Don't worry about that)
If you want to attach more than one photo, go to the next 'choose file' button on the list and repeat. (forth image)
When you've chosen all the pictures you want to attach, click on the 'upload' button. You will see that your images are appear as a list in the middle of the pop up (fifth image)

Then when you finish writing your post and click 'submit reply, your images will be at the bottom of your post. Ta-da! Images attached.

I hope that helps!
I'm a visual learner, so it's much easier for me to understand complex ideas like engineering designs if I can see pictures of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 10.53.59.png   Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 10.54.13.png   Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 11.07.17.png   Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 11.08.53.png   Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 11.01.58.png  

Old 03-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
anyone with a garage in their bus these install as easy as they come out, small motorcycle? scooter? great lift!
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey's pipe dream View Post
anyone with a garage in their bus these install as easy as they come out, small motorcycle? scooter? great lift!
Some have moved them to the back door as a lift for the garage, the problem with that is you no longer have regular use of that door as the lift is always in the way. If it's in the rt rr corner it's more feasible for the garage.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #33
Skoolie

I have a recent iphone, so it is getting the iphone to send the pics somewhere I can post.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybird_bus View Post
We have the same tracks. Any tips on getting them out?

yes, finally, yesterday i found a process that works, works quickly and keeps me out of the cold. I have another thread that's called "seat tracks!!!" ... there i'll put a more detailed explanation. but in short ... bi-metal hole saw around the button head cap screw. this cuts the soft aluminum metal. remove track. remove ply-wood around bhcs. angle grind the heads off of the bhcs. punch headless bhcs through the bottom. check out the other thread in about a day or two and i should have pics and more description.
r
Old 03-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
it wouldnt be to hard to mount it on a swing out of the way base either maybe hand tighten a couple of bolts in the middle of the mount and have a pin on the opposite side as the pivot? maybe it would just be too much of a pain in real life i took mine out of the skoolie i live in because its a front handicap but if i had a rear door one and a bike id have to figure out how to utilize it id think but you never know i might get sick of f@@king with it and run it over and shoot it too
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnexpress2 View Post
yes, finally, yesterday i found a process that works, works quickly and keeps me out of the cold. I have another thread that's called "seat tracks!!!" ... there i'll put a more detailed explanation. but in short ... bi-metal hole saw around the button head cap screw. this cuts the soft aluminum metal. remove track. remove ply-wood around bhcs. angle grind the heads off of the bhcs. punch headless bhcs through the bottom. check out the other thread in about a day or two and i should have pics and more description.
r
now there is a practical idea that makes sense
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:42 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: startrans
Chassis: e450
Engine: 7.2 turbo diesel
Frame removal

I have a e450 shuttle. Lift removed. Now I need to remove the frame. I have taken bolts out. It seems to want to pop out. Am I missing something? Or should I get my tractor and chain out? Brute force method
Attached Thumbnails
904AB470-6632-4DAB-BC84-B74857E21985.jpg  
besterfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: startrans
Chassis: e450
Engine: 7.2 turbo diesel
making progress

crow bar and shims.
Attached Thumbnails
6DBAED54-4C87-4929-8531-C317939FC358.jpg   9BAD4914-B28C-4232-AA80-5BCB149D4C57.jpg   A4201B7F-7509-475D-A196-02B7322812ED.jpg  
besterfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #39
Almost There

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 8 handicapped
lift on wheels

I took my lift out and mounted it on wheels. I've used it to lift machinery weighing 400Lb++ Runs from battery cables. First time I've posted and first time I've tried to create a link to a Google Photos image. Here goes.
jackdebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey's pipe dream View Post
I have done exactly this. I carry two motorcycles. One in the bus and one on the back.

I modified the lift slightly and use it to load and deploy a full sized 2002 Vstar 650 Classic. This is stored in the back of the bus in the "garage" and is in there right now.

I also carry a KE100 on top of my tow hitch rack we built into the hitch.

I've been using the lift to load the bike now over a year. It is very handy to have two choices of "shuttle craft" if you need to make a run for pints.

I would point out to folks to PLEASE PLEASE think of our veterans, and also the disabled in general for which these lifts were intended. They can easily be repurposed into home lifts for people who have houses with lower porches or decks to access the home.

If you have no luck selling it please DO REACH OUT to your community legion, VFW, or organization that helps people in need and they may even come help you remove it.

with a battery, a small trickle charger, and a motorcycle cover to keep the elements off you could change a life with your donation of the lift vs scrapping it for measly dollars.

I know someone used one to gain access to his large back deck in this fashion.

Merry Christmas
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel chair lift