Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #1

Removing air conditioning

Hi long time reader but first time posting. We're in the middle of our bus demo and want to take the two overhead air conditioning units out of the bus. I was just wondering what steps we should be planning on taking to safely do this. If there are pieces that will need to be disconnected from the engine what those would be. Any information would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Pumpkin,

Well, it would be helpful if you can take pictures so we can see exactly what you have. Not all A/C units are set up the same. In addition, your location may be able to give us ideas about local A/C people that may be able to help you more directly. Sorry about sounding so vague, but it's the best I can do for right now....

My two cents......

M
Old 08-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Yea, what M1031A1 said. You need a technician that is at least moderately experienced in mobile AC units to remove the refrigerant - please don't dump that stuff into the atmosphere if you can help it!

Once that is done you can start looking at removing the actual AC evaporator and condenser coils as well as the pump and associated belts, hoses, and wires.

However, any more specific help will require pics.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
When you make your plan to remove them I would suggest that you keep an eye towards keeping the dash air.

RV roof air and window air conditioners can do a great job when you are parked, they are far from ideal when you are running down the road.

Good luck!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it will only have Dash air if its a van cutaway.. or a very rare newer freightliner chassis or IC bus..

I had to add dash air to my first bluebird.. and then my carpenter.. my current bluebird has rear air but no dash air (for now)..

as for taking it out.. DONT let the freon out...
DO keep the parts nice..unscrew, dont cut.. there *ARE* skoolie owners who would like to have that A/C.. give it away instead of scrapping it..

MOST times the compressors drive off of their own belts so removing them usually wont affect the drive belt (or belts) for your other accessories...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses everyone. Here are photos of the units and the engine. From what we can tell there is no air conditioning running through the front heater only the pieces that are up above where the seats used to be, and the little additional strip I photographed over the driver

Old 08-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Pumpkin,

Well, it would be helpful if you can take pictures so we can see exactly what you have. Not all A/C units are set up the same. In addition, your location may be able to give us ideas about local A/C people that may be able to help you more directly. Sorry about sounding so vague, but it's the best I can do for right now....

My two cents......

M
I uploaded photos of all of the components. Meant to do this with my original post but my brain was fried from a full weekend of demo. Thanks for your response and feedback [emoji3]

Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Yea, what M1031A1 said. You need a technician that is at least moderately experienced in mobile AC units to remove the refrigerant - please don't dump that stuff into the atmosphere if you can help it!

Once that is done you can start looking at removing the actual AC evaporator and condenser coils as well as the pump and associated belts, hoses, and wires.

However, any more specific help will require pics.
Yeah, dont dump it... lol... pretty much ALL ac units will leak out over time.. and there is obviously billions of them. This is a fact. What little one allows to be released ahead of time wont make any difference.... except that it will cause climate change...waiting for that.

2. is a good idea to keep the system instead of trashing it if one wants to have front ac when driving.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:12 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
Yeah, dont dump it... lol... pretty much ALL ac units will leak out over time.. and there is obviously billions of them. This is a fact. What little one allows to be released ahead of time wont make any difference.... except that it will cause climate change...waiting for that.

2. is a good idea to keep the system instead of trashing it if one wants to have front ac when driving.
As come on Markey Al Gore still needs a job! But don't dump it someone else might need those few drops of recycled refrigerant. Like me!

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If anyone's getting rid of any air conditioning parts I need the plastic housing for my rear unit. Mines cracking apart pretty bad.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Sorry mine are each side

Old 12-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
As come on Markey Al Gore still needs a job! But don't dump it someone else might need those few drops of recycled refrigerant. Like me!

unless you can verify refrigerant is pure I typically dont re-use what I tank out of an unknown system. esp if its an old R-22 system. never know what someone pumped into it...

-Christopher
Old 12-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Doubtful it'd have any in it. Most times there's little to recover. Most older systems have been converted already. I've never heard of a 22 system that wasn't refrigeration being engine powered. I bet it would cool good though. Those old 22 freezers get downright chilly.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
Doubtful it'd have any in it. Most times there's little to recover. Most older systems have been converted already. I've never heard of a 22 system that wasn't refrigeration being engine powered. I bet it would cool good though. Those old 22 freezers get downright chilly.

ive seen several forum members with busses from the late 80s early 90s that were 22 and not 12. the coach busses with V-style piston compressors almost always ran R-22.

that 86 Blue-bird chevy i had previous had factory air and a GMC A-6 (yep the old frigidaire style) compressor and R-12. but that was a short bus.

believe it or not the old GMC A-6 compressor known for its wicked cold air in the old caddies.. has enough capacity to cool a 3/4 sized bus!

-Christopher
Old 07-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
Hi long time reader but first time posting. We're in the middle of our bus demo and want to take the two overhead air conditioning units out of the bus. I was just wondering what steps we should be planning on taking to safely do this. If there are pieces that will need to be disconnected from the engine what those would be. Any information would be appreciated

we are currently about to tackle this project with similar units, any advice? how did yours go?
caleylemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Anyone in FL looking to ditch their AC, let me know. I'm looking for spare AC parts.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote