Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas
Removing Black Box and Radio/PA/Incandescent Light Box

Hi All

I've searched all over the internet/skoolie forums and cant find any info on these two items. I'm demo'ing my 2005 Thomas flat nose bus and am totally baffled. Hoping to cut these out in the next few days...

1. Black Box Recorder.
I've torn this thing apart and can't figure out how it's attached to the wall of the bus. It also has a long cord of wires. Is it ok to cut and cap them?

2. Radio/PA/Incandescent box.
Wow this thing is huge. That's why I'm removing it... but I am afraid to cut and cap this massive rainbow of wires. Is there any reason why I should keep this thing? Is it ok to cut and cap them?

Would love any advice!
Thanks!

natapotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
i think your black box will slide up out of it’s bracket, which is screwed to the bulkhead.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Also, if you aren’t going to remove all the flashers and other items school bus light related, but want the wires to be tidier than just a cut termination...

Just behind the black box with the yellow bus on top looks like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3238.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	32365
should be able to unplug everything.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
Also, if you aren’t going to remove all the flashers and other items school bus light related, but want the wires to be tidier than just a cut termination...

Attachment 32365
Thank you!! I have been having a hard time even naming what this giant unit even is...

What if I just want to get rid of the whole stereo unit all together? Should I just cut/unclip the wires behind the front wall panel and tuck them in?

Do you know if this will affect any of the functionality of the lights? I'm trying to figure out if I even need the light monitor... but I'm thinking that's a yes if I want to know if my blinkers are on or not.

I could always keep the giant black box and work around it if necessary. It does have a PA intercom that is pretty sweet.

What do you think?
natapotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Did you bus have a camera system installed on it at some point? That's what the first box you posted looks like (especially with the red/yellow RCA ports on it.) Looks like it's held to the bus with a key lock even. (Its supposed to be tamper-proof.) I'd think you should be able to remove it entirely (though it might be built to be difficult to remove in the first place.)

Just me, but I think the indicator box that shows whats flashing is kinda neat, and I'd keep it. If you can just unplug it and leave the wiring, I'd do that. It sounds like it would be more work to cut and cap it then just unplugging it.

The stereo I'd remove. That seems like an odd place for it. That you should be able to cut and cap, since I'm pretty sure it's NOT in any way wired in to any of the other bus systems.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
I think that box was the first thing I ripped out. Your gonna want to go over all your wiring before its all over removing and unwanted wires. My bus has a bus bar in the side door under my driving window. All the lights and major components feed to it. I ripped out all the bus switches and installed my own to only what i needed.

Make sure you find a wiring diagram to your bus before you do this.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2146.jpg  
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post

Attachment 32365
If you want to remove the light monitor you will need to connect the appropriate wires together to retain brake lights, turn signals etc.

I spent an hour or two on mine riddling out the connections.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deleting, demo, radio, removing