Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #1

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Removing old floor in drivers area

Hello all,
We have all of the old floor out of our 96 thomas international 3800 up to the driver's seat.. my question is, there is the seat (obviously) and a panel full of buttons to the left of the seat that both seem to be connected to the floor. Do most people remove these to remove the flooring? Do they then just leave them hanging and reattach them to the new floor? I am sure it is gross and weathered and old like the rest of the bus and definitely needs to be replaced but am having a hard time visualizing it and dont want to mess with any of the mechanical workings of the bus at this moment :/ thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
20200629_120538.jpg  

getting_skooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
To remove the floor, you have to remove the seat and all of the console pieces. The top (slanted) part of the console on the left of the driver is attached to the wall as well as the lower part. However, once you remove the screws that hold the top and bottom parts and the screws that hold the bottom part to the floor, you can remove the bottom part entirely.

Note that before you can remove the bottom of the console you will have to remove the hoses for the heater/defrost that is housed there ... and perhaps the heater core and blower motor. It iis an involved process, but not difficult.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
There have been a bunch of us dealing with the floor around the driver's seat of late. Here's where I started in on mine:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/r...tml#post380163

As Native says, you remove the facing pieces of the heaters and the seat and then you can get all of the plywood flooring up. To do a really thorough job you'd probably want to also take out the heaters and then reinstall them after dealing with the rust etc., but that was way to monstrous a task for me to contemplate.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
You can also look at Banman's Murder Bus build and in particular, I posted pictures of the floor removal I performed on our bus.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/t...tml#post384120
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
On my carpenter I pulled the heater box and the switch panel stayed on the wall so I could rebuild the driver floor
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #6

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Thank you for the helpful suggestions and pics! Tomorrow we will try to remove the seat and the lower part of that console ����
getting_skooled is offline   Reply With Quote