Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hmm.....

I put all of my windows in the sides of the bus.

60 mph wind and rain hit the side of my bus the same way it hits my house the same as it would my house. I don't see the issue there.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Windows on starboard are in. Will be sealing them this weekend. Kitchen window on the port side is ready to be put in. I'll do that this weekend as well.

I left an original window in the back, port side, for the bathroom, and another in the middle, also port side, that will be behind the sofa. Can always change later, but I think they work well there.

The new windows will get laminated. Both panes. I could even screw in a sheet of lexan on the inside as an additional safety barrier.

I will use quality laminate. I've seen the good laminate tested with house windows and they withstand all sorts of violent impacts including hammers etc.

I've been trying to figure out the passenger window and noticed that if I add about 3" to the opening I built (vertically) one of the original longer bus windows will fit perfectly. So, I think I'm gonna go with that. It opens partially for air, and fits right in. And... the glass is tempered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0899.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	39272

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	39273
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post

I've been trying to figure out the passenger window and noticed that if I add about 3" to the opening I built (vertically) one of the original longer bus windows will fit perfectly. So, I think I'm gonna go with that. It opens partially for air, and fits right in. And... the glass is tempered.

You could even turn it on its side and add a little more visibility down low. Mine slides as well or better than the driver's side.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #24
Bus Nut

That's a good idea! Interesting setup!
Old 12-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #25
Almost There

Year: soon
Coachwork: Bluebird or Thomas
Chassis: Probably International
Engine: Narrowing it down
Rated Cap: 65-ish
Hello Joe,

It's been 4 years. Did you get all your windows in and driven with them? Have they popped out or shattered? LOL I certainly hope not!!

I'm looking to buy a bus now and I was planning on using residential impact windows for my bus. I like the idea of the firm rubber gasket around all sides.

If anyone has any input, comments, concerns or advice on using residential hurricane impact windows, please speak now or forever hold your peace. LOL

Thanks
Grinn and Bare it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinn and Bare it View Post
Hello Joe,

It's been 4 years. Did you get all your windows in and driven with them? Have they popped out or shattered? LOL I certainly hope not!!

I'm looking to buy a bus now and I was planning on using residential impact windows for my bus. I like the idea of the firm rubber gasket around all sides.

If anyone has any input, comments, concerns or advice on using residential hurricane impact windows, please speak now or forever hold your peace. LOL

Thanks

I've only had the bus less than a year and put the windows in a month or two ago. Still have not driven the bus with the windows on.

Winter hit and I have to finish insulating the inside, so I covered the bus in plastic sheet to help hold in heat.
I also need to replace the alternator and clutch fan, as well as install an engine block heater. Apparently my bus, being from the valley, didn't come with one. Being at about 7,000 feet in the pine country, the cold weather has rendered my engine inoperable.

As soon as I install the hurricane sheets on the windows and drive it, I'll put up a post. I'll also put up a video as well. There's about six up so far on my youtube channel "Commander Zarkon".
Old 12-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I installed aluminum framed "shed" windows in my bus over 5 years and over 10,000 miles ago. They are tempered double thick dual glazed sliders with screens and "E" coat. Despite the high thermal conductivity of aluminum (rather than plastic) condensation hasn't been a problem. They have not leaked a drop even in a rain storm so intense that all traffic finally came to a halt.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #28
Bus Geek

I stumbled upon an article about tempered Vs Laminated glass.

https://info.glass.com/laminated-vs-tempered-glass/
Old 01-05-2020, 10:27 PM   #29
Bus Nut

That's great stuff to know, and good to see others who have used residential windows with success!
We went out of town fro Christmas and the bus was set aside=, but I'm getting back on it asap!

It's currently covered in plastic sheet so I can heat the inside better and work at installing the insulation (about 1/3 done). I will post pics and video as soon as I can.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:21 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Hey Jack,

I have been looking for tempered glass residential windows to compare with RV windows and not finding much. Do you have any recommendations or info on where you got yours?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #31

I’m dying for an update! It’s been a very long time now. Hopefully it worked out for you!
mryan009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan009 View Post
I’m dying for an update! It’s been a very long time now. Hopefully it worked out for you!

Haven't driven it that much and selling the bus. Windows have been fine though.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:06 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Yes!
We use residential windows in our residence.
2003, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
To determine residential window placement, we fabricated cardboard facsimiles of our potential residential furniture and cabinets.
After shifting these to establish residential traffic, access, and flow, we cut for our windows.
We mounted 36x12 (a foot tall by three feet wide) dual-pane sliders designed for a stand-still house.
We set these at our eye-level while standing inside our residence, about eight-feet above pavement.
After residing in our ExpeditionVehicle residence full-time for nearly two decades, we are convinced small is better.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote