Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Rhino Lining?

About to fly back to the USA for another week of work on the bus. (Would not recommend trying to convert a US based bus whilst living in the UK - but I digress).

I'm at the stage where I need to tackle that divisive issue about floor treatment and holes. My friend has suggested getting the floor covered with Rhino lining like a pickup truck bed.

In theory it could work, and has some advantages. It seals and covers the floor to prevent rust / it's thick enough to plug the holes without needing to fill each hole individually / it's flexible enough not to break when the bus is being driven.

Besides the cost, is there any reason Rhino lining is a bad idea?

ThisBusPlusUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
I don’t think it would be thick enough to cover the seat bolt holes with no backing. But I could be wrong.
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

Year: 1973
Coachwork: International?
Chassis: Carpenter?
Engine: Deisel International?
Rated Cap: 40ft with 4ft Extension
thats going to be the final floor covering? like no insulation ect? It would work I imagine. I used a spray on bed liner for my back "mud room/garage" area and it covered well not great insulation but its not "inside" so I wasnt too worried about that. I don't know about that specific brand but the liner I used needed many many coats to cover the small holes and still hasn't filled the larger ones but I plan to keep applying it till it does cause a thick coat of that stuff looks cool imo, I have a 4ft back cap with a full open door like a toy hauler, i plan on doing the roof and walls in the same liner over time but needed the floor done after i did my ospho/primer to ensure i wouldnt mess it up bringing things in and out. I already know it needs more coats tho, i threw an empty paint can out the back and it bounced off the liner and left a scratch to the metal again
Mirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to bcflyboy
There is several products out there and I've used simple roll on 2 part systems from NAPA. For small holes you can lay in .016 Aluminium pieces in the initial coat to make it stick and give it a second/third coat by brush to seal. They ain't coming out. Not the cheapest way to seal, but better than most paints or primers. Prep work, i.e. wire brush, sanding, etching, final wipe are key!
Old 08-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Rhino liner is flammable. I only started to research other options. A quick search found this nonflammable bed liner:

EZ LINER NON FLAMMABLE, NON TOXIC BED LINING

Raptor liner might also be alright but I haven't completely researched all.

Line-X seems to be alright according to this thread:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ers-fires.html

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote