Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2023, 10:48 PM   #1

Roof raise fibreglass shuttle

Hello,

Newbie here. Have searched a little through past threads, but it seems many were abandoned without much discussion. Dead ends. Curious if there's a thread here to do with someone actually going through with a raise on a fibreglass bus.

Details on my end:

2001 e450 shuttle. Fibreglass shell/skin. Hat channel in the interior (aside from the rear end, where it's mainly 1.5" steel tubing). Sounds like the hats are less common on newer glass builds. Looking at the process for raising a typical metal-skin bus, it seems feasible on mine. Is this ill-advised?

Assuming a guy went ahead with the raise, there are also some questions on how to finish the newly created void! Are there options here?

1. stick to fibreglass. Make a mess. But have a finished product that has some semblance of consistency. I've done some resin work in the past, but this would be a different animal.

2. go with sheet metal. Is this conceivable? Can one rivet sheet metal over fibreglass (or under it)? Would some sort of transition be required? Assuming provisions are made for a metal framework on the interior that will happily accept said rivets. Is this a kooky idea? Sheet metal seems easier to work with (still time consuming...but less messy)

I'm also pondering removing a couple of the rear windows and skinning over, or adding smaller windows. So there's the same kind of question with re-skinning as with the raise. Not as critical. I have skookum double-pane, factory tint windows...so it's not top priority really.

Anyway. Hoping someone has done this...and maybe documented it! Ha. Seems like a tough nut to crack. Will attempt to add a few photos.

photos of wall members...and roof/ceiling members. The orientation came out wonky...they should be turned 90 degrees clockwise.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8065.png   IMG_8069.jpg   IMG_8070.jpg  

annihilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
My shuttle has plenty of height so I had no need for a roof raise.

Now that it's built out, the only place I need full height is right down the walkway, what was between the rows of seats. Have you considered a roof 'pop' instead of a raise?

In the olden days this was accomplished by adding a Volksie or Ford Econoline top half onto the roof.

That might be a bit extreme for you, but I'm certain there are ways to raise just the center of the roof that would open the possibility for more light, ventilation, etc.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
My shuttle has plenty of height so I had no need for a roof raise.

Now that it's built out, the only place I need full height is right down the walkway, what was between the rows of seats. Have you considered a roof 'pop' instead of a raise?

In the olden days this was accomplished by adding a Volksie or Ford Econoline top half onto the roof.

That might be a bit extreme for you, but I'm certain there are ways to raise just the center of the roof that would open the possibility for more light, ventilation, etc.
Hey!

What's your finished height at inside? Mine will be close. I'm not tall (5'10")...but if I do an inch of insulation in the floor and 2.5-3.0" in the ceiling...I'll be really close to that 5'10". I'd really like to squeeze some additional insulation in for the long term considerations.

Realistically, that centre 'corridor' is the only place you'd really need it, like you say. Although, I'm thinking a bit of extra height at the back might be nice as well. Feels like a ''pop top'' would be almost the same amount of work in the end...and it opens some new potential leak points (although, this can obviously happen anywhere over time).

Will give that some thought.

Someone suggested filling the gaps with aluminium. I like that idea a lot more than glassing the whole thing. Imagine a guy would need some sort of membrane between the aluminum and the steel hat channels. And something to deal with aluminium rivets into the hats as well. I dunno. Really just trying to come up with a viable plan before giving myself the green light in my head.

Did your bus have hat channel as well? Apparently that isn't so common with newer models. I'd like to see the more modern method for comparison.

I think it would be worth it in the end. At this stage, the extra time and money doesn't seem like a massive burden.

Thanks for your thoughts.
annihilate is offline   Reply With Quote