Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 10:02 PM   #1

Rusty Bus Floor!

Hello!
I am currently in the flooring process of my bus. Everything has been gutted out at this point, we even started sanding the floor and spraying it.

Here is the process that we took sometime ago.
Gutted the bus, sanded the floor/rust, Painted corroseal on the newly sanded parts, then whatever didn't turn black we sanded again, did another layer of corroseal and then spray painted what was converted to prevent more rust.

Here's where we messed up...Leaving the windows down and the roof emergency door open, and it rained...oops!

So here's my question. To save time because I am heavily approaching my deadline...should I just sandblast the floor? I just watched a video of someone sandblasted with aluminum oxide and a sandblaster that he got from harbor freight. It worked pretty well...I'm just not sure that it's going to thoroughly do the job. I just want the rust GONE!

Most of the large wholes by the wheel well was so rusted that it ate through it. Those large wholes have already been wielded. Now there are only the small wholes where the bolts were for the seats. I've seen where someone put caulk and pennies on top. I don't want to have to weld those small areas. I don't think its worth it at that point. Any suggestions? I'm really looking for a step by step tutorial!

Also I am learning all of this mainly on my own. I learn fast and can do thorough research once pointed in the right direction. So please be patient with me! Thanks!

Aunshanay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:43 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
I prefer the angle grinder with a very course sanding disc and some real good Personal Protective Equipment. High quality dust mask or respirator required. Eye protection and forced ventilation (fans pushing air in or out) would be a very good idea. It's very dusty work, but I can make the floor of a bus shiny in under a day. I've done it to two full sized buses now.

I've not really bothered with trying to make the floor water tight, if the bus leaks a lot through the roof then it'll just trap the water. Looking at the rust patterns of the buses I've got, and the floors after driving in the rain, water intrusion from road spray is not a significant problem at all. I've put gorilla tape down, painted over it, and left it like that.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:00 PM   #3

I've definitely done this with the angle grinder in some parts. Once you grind the floor how do you finish or seal? I don't think I sealed it correctly. Maybe too thin of paint? Did the water repel or just sit on the finished floor once you sealed it. Someone said that their water would just bead up and he would just wipe it down

Good idea on the gorilla glue. Definitely making a quick fix happen with these holes!
Aunshanay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
floor sanding

You asked about sand blasting. I started with a grinder and a braided wire wheel on it. The abrasive blaster works drastically better and significantly faster. I am using coal slag as my abrasive. I wear a respirator but it is surprisingly dust free at least compared to what I expected. forget sanding. Just my 2 cents.
KoehlerFarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, diy conversion, rust, rusty floor, seal