Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
ROFL
Thanx so much! Just nasally aspirated coffee!!!

Old 07-24-2019, 08:10 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I am looking for that less-ghetto-looking solution, as well.
But in the meanwhile, I guess it's done well enough to keep all of the local honest tweaks on their side of the bulkheads...
Puck locks look better, I guess, but my doors don't have any place one could be fully attached without some modifications.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
If you're talking about the circular-bodied ones with little hasp left showing, it's my understanding they're the best of a bad lot.
The configuration is limiting, tho.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
The pad lock is just used to keep the intruder busy for a few minutes while the wife and I fight over who gets to shoot the thief.
LOL, but remember you don't know they are a thief, your reply better be more in line with you shot an intruder, not just shot a thief.

In front of a judge or jury, intruder is going to sound better for you than just shooting a thief.
I'm all about castle doctrine/protecting what really matters.

Someone trying that with me has more to worry about than just gun play, I love taking microwaves apart and making toys with the innards, such toys can cause serious burns just as fast as one can sling lead..... A person trying to break into the wrong place just may get way more than they ever thought. Especially a metal bus, blame if the ground isn't there it's a big live conductor if energized LOL.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
LOL, but remember you don't know they are a thief, your reply better be more in line with you shot an intruder, not just shot a thief.

In front of a judge or jury, intruder is going to sound better for you than just shooting a thief.
I'm all about castle doctrine/protecting what really matters.

Someone trying that with me has more to worry about than just gun play, I love taking microwaves apart and making toys with the innards, such toys can cause serious burns just as fast as one can sling lead..... A person trying to break into the wrong place just may get way more than they ever thought. Especially a metal bus, blame if the ground isn't there it's a big live conductor if energized LOL.
I had a friend named Monty years ago who wired his ignition key to his alternator and left the key in the ignition (and the doors unlocked) in the hopes of zapping a would-be thief (he had a hidden switch so he wouldn't fry himself when driving). One day another friend of ours who didn't know about this noticed the key in Monty's ignition and decided to take the car for an unauthorized joyride. For a day Monty thought his car had been stolen, but he was more disappointed in the obvious failure of his security system.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I had a friend named Monty years ago who wired his ignition key to his alternator and left the key in the ignition (and the doors unlocked) in the hopes of zapping a would-be thief (he had a hidden switch so he wouldn't fry himself when driving). One day another friend of ours who didn't know about this noticed the key in Monty's ignition and decided to take the car for an unauthorized joyride. For a day Monty thought his car had been stolen, but he was more disappointed in the obvious failure of his security system.
"wired his ignition key to his alternator and left the key in the ignition" Good thing he even had 2 keys, surprised he didn't wire his only "ignition key" to the spark plugs on a diesel. That would have really been more inline with that thinking 12vdc is going to "secure" his ride LOL.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:46 PM   #27

Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 Cat Diesel 210hp
How to secure my doors

I have a 2003 Thomas bus with air doors. They are full glass from top to bottom. There is nothing in the center that I could attach to. I am trying to figure out how to secure my doors. I have considered putting metal screen in the lower half (inside and out), and using deadbolts on the bottom run into the door step, but I am not sure if that would work or not. I do want to replace my doors with something else at some point, but I am not there yet. Anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
Bus Doors.jpg