Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #1

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Rated Cap: 72
Shower in your skoolie... feedback

This is a first for me. I am trying to figure out how to do a decent shower in my bus.

I am looking a cutting a 3' x 3' hole in the Galvenized steel floor, just in front of the back wheel well on the drivers side. (I looked underneath, and nothing would obstruct this hole) I then would build an Angle iron frame that is 3' x 3', and 10" deep. Then 1/2" plywood, on top of that would be a vapor barrier, then a cement board backer, and then tile in the basin area.

The things I am concerned about assuming that this is the route that I went:
1. The shower basin drain would possibly be lower than the grey water tank, and the water probably wouldn't drain properly into that tank.

2. I have never done any tilling ever.

The reason that I am doing a shower basin, is so that I can step down into the shower, and stand up straight in it so the shower head can hit me in the back of the head, and not in the middle of my shoulder blades.

The other reason is it's going to be awesome to have a custom shower, and not just an RV tub.

any thoughts??

Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Shower in your skoolie... feedback

If/when I build another, I will do what your thinking. I'm 6'1"/250lb. and will have to stoop down to take a shower. (I did not raise my roof) The thought of lowering into the floor was an after thought. My solution for draining would have been a smaller pump to drain off the shower water into the gray water tank.
As it is, my set up is more of a spit bath situation, than a full blown shower. But I have plumbed for an outside shower with a 5 gal. solar bag and tapped in for inside water.
There are a couple people here that have dropped the floor. search around. Tiling is not that hard. Just be sure to get your pan sealed in good. Might also be able to find a pre-made pan that would fit.

Good luck
Old 11-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

I rather liked Andy-B-Bus-9's idea, and intend to incorporate something to that effect:
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk.../Andy-B-Bus-9/
Old 03-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
Skoolie

I advise against tiling, unless you are certain you can get the tile to adhere despite road vibrations.

A FRP or other plastic shower stall would do well. Some are made so they can be modified for size (cut down).
I saw a guy buy a shower pan, and use the FRP panels and joint-ells and -tees from Home Depot and made up his own shower.

Even if the shower pan is in the bus, I recommend insulating under it with sheet foam and foam-in-a-can. Nothing like icy feet when showering....and the insulation helps absorb a modicum of road noise while it helps support the shower pan....not MUCH, but something.