Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2023, 10:46 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Simple plumbing question

Hi all
Does the city water/tank fill inlet go above or below the floor level? I've searched everywhere including Youtube. I can see advantages and drawbacks to each method. I'm going to plumb for city water but I doubt I'll ever use it, just to fill and vent the fresh water tank.
Thanks

Richard

Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:32 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Sounds like you already have a gravity fill for the tank.

It doesn’t matter where you put the fill inlet, except to say that it’s preferable to have it at the rear of the drivers side.

Depending on how the the tank is plumbed you could end up with a siphon condition if you mount it low
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post

Depending on how the the tank is plumbed you could end up with a siphon condition if you mount it low
Yes I have an RV inlet contraption with city water and tank fill/vent. If I mount it above floor level I'll just have to add a vent to the hole in the floor. I have all kinds of hole saws. That would have a more direct input for city water as well.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

IDK anything about your rig, but even though I set up mine to be primarily untethered, I’ve used the city hookup a lot. One great thing is better water pressure
Old 11-03-2023, 12:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

If you have one of those combination inlets with the little gravity door, I’d mount it up high. On all the RVs my family had, they’ve always been up around 4 to 4 1/2 feet. Why? I don’t know. Maybe you don’t want it to be “ urinal height”.

One thing to keep in mind when you’re making the decision is to envision how the plumbing is going to work out on the inside.

I was going to have a gravity door, but I didn’t have room between the top of tank and bottom of window. So I put two of those city connections on the outside. When you’re in the desert with no hose bibs to be found and those water machines everywhere, you’ll be glad for a gravity door
Old 11-03-2023, 12:36 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

I totally agree about cuty water and bought a couple of regulators just for that scenario but... I plan on boondicking more than anything else. At least I'll have the option.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:07 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
The combination gizmos with gravity fill and city water usually also have a fitting for a vent line from the upper part of the tank.

Most important thing is that gravity fill MUST be higher than the top of the tank.

Like Danjo said, campground sites are set up for rigs with all the hookups on the port side near the rear.

Good luck,
Marty
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:08 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Use a check valve and a quarter-turn on/off valve at each city water connection, then it doesn't matter if the city inlet is lower than the tank. The gravity fill needs to be above the tank, but not by much; make a watertight seal between the hose and the gravity fill, then it will fill the tank regardless. I have 1/2" air vents for each of my water tanks, 1-1/4" gravity fills and 3/4" city fills, and I use stainless marine deck fills (no flimsy plastic RV junk!) for my gravity fills: so far, so good.

One other design consideration that's so often overlooked by RV manufacturers is cross-contamination. Why do most RVs, including some very expensive ones, have their black and grey tanks' dump valves next to their fresh water fill? That's just asking for trouble. Keep the clean and dirty functions well separated, otherwise it's just a matter of time until there are fecal coliform bacteria where you don't want them.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote