Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Skoolie roof raise - how we cut and lift.

Here's the newest in our series, showing how we cut the sidewalls and ribs...then how we perform the roof lift.

A caveat: We're novices at this video documentation stuff and I'm trying not to gloss over anything, since many here are new...and we were all new at one time. It seems, to me, that many of the videos out there take basic tool skills or past experience for granted...so I'm trying to err on the side of showing all. So, some of what I cover might be overly basic. Someone already mentioned that I was being too beginner-level, in one of our rivet removal videos. While I don't agree, I am receptive to the feedback and so...I want to warn you...this video might be overly long and basic. But if you're looking for a detailed explanation of how we raised a bus roof, I hope this is of some help to you.

https://youtu.be/uKNlJpC8QRg

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Another great video.

OT a bit sorry, but the threaded rod lifting mechanism looks great, very stout.

I want to create a pop-top for a trailer with 6-800lb lifting capacity over a 2' range and would really appreciate suggestions

I don't mind running around like you suggested using a drill, maybe 1-2" lift each time?

But obviously a rig to do two at a time or even all four at once would be better.

Besides strength / reliability / safety, low cost is a top priority, a few hundred is doable but not thousands.

Was thinking a pulley system with a central winch pulling wire rope?

Or air compressor driven? hydraulics?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
"I could feel it in... my nuts!" I loved that little gem.

I read the comment on your other riveting video (pun intended) and was surprised by it. I think it's clear that you aren't making videos to teach professional fabricators how to do their jobs better. You're making videos for all of us numbskulls who want to chop up a bus but have never used an angle grinder before. And us numbskulls appreciate it

Are you using one of those diamond cutoff wheels? Do you find it's worth the extra cost?
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Thanks John. And OT is always fine with me...I learn lots from those. For something like you're proposing, I might consider electric linear actuators...or I'd be looking at stepper motors driving ball screws, with an Arduino controller maybe? Or use sliding track (like heavy drawer slides) and pneumatic cylinders? We considered all of those when we did a drop-down bed, but that was a bit different (since we could lift from above) so we ended up going with a rotating pipe system, around which seatbelt webbing wound. Whatever you do, please show us!

And many thanks, Tejon, for the support and for understanding why we started doing these. Yup, in that grinder I'm using one of the $29 diamond cutting wheels. I do find them to be worth it for cutting the ribs, for a few reasons. They do last longer and they cut a pretty narrow kerf...and, most importantly for these situations, they don't change diameter so I can make the same depth of cut as long as the wheel works. I wouldn't say they actually last 100X as long, like the packages say, but they certainly last long enough to make the price difference worthwhile. Just be careful on thin material, like the skins, since the blade slots can catch unless you do a "climb cut" with it.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:13 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and try out a 4.5" one - they're more in the $15-$20 range. That's much more affordable than the new 6" grinder or plasma cutter that I really want to buy after watching your video!
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
Very helpful videos, for instance knocking the rivet pins out before cutting the rivets. I appreciate your time showing us what you've learned. Looking forward to more!
THANK YOU!
John
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote