Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Small wood stove with cook surface

Anyone out there got some good info on a small wood stove with a decent cook surface for a caste iron pan. My partner and I sprayfoamed the whole bus, insulated floor and we both run hot so feel a tiny stove would suffice. Only thing is I can’t imagine burning wood and not cooking on it. Love the little minis but not enough surface to cook. Any ideas?

MedicineBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineBus View Post
Anyone out there got some good info on a small wood stove with a decent cook surface for a caste iron pan. My partner and I sprayfoamed the whole bus, insulated floor and we both run hot so feel a tiny stove would suffice. Only thing is I can’t imagine burning wood and not cooking on it. Love the little minis but not enough surface to cook. Any ideas?
You might be able to go with a small stove, like a Cubic Grizzly or something, and add a nice thick steel plate to the top to expand the cooking surface. I imagine it could be clamped on, as there's a bit of a lip. We've got the Grizzly and can fit a 10" cast iron skillet on one corner and maybe a percolator or something on the other corner, but that's about it. I've only cooked soups on it really, and only a couple times. We put the coffee pot on there to keep it warm when we have a fire going.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Growing up tending to a wood stove i learned quickly you can load a big wood stove and damp it down so it will last. That being said, small stoves need a lot of attention. You may want to look at tent stoves like this one from lowes
~Pat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

If you want real small, look at the Fatsco Tiny Tot or Pet
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
If you want real small, look at the Fatsco Tiny Tot or Pet
That is officially the most rudimentary product website I have seen in the last 25 years. I want one, though. The Pet almost looks like you could hold it in your lap.

I had this idea for making my side exit door removable, and building a sort of shell that would clamp onto the opening and contain maybe a wood stove and a diesel air heater. The Pet would be light enough to actually make this feasible.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
That is officially the most rudimentary product website I have seen in the last 25 years.

Yeah I think its the only product website I've ever seen that use what looks to be a Xerox of a xerox of a xerox of a black and white picture of their stove as their main product photo

I suppose when it comes to cast iron wood stoves, a low tech website is oddly comforting and feels to be in the spirit of the product..
Old 09-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Have you used one of the fatso tot stoves. Looks amazing. Curious as to burn time with it
MedicineBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
LOL, I had to just go look at the website! You guys are funny! (Yet I agree on all comments made!)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineBus View Post
Have you used one of the fatso tot stoves. Looks amazing. Curious as to burn time with it

I haven't used one, I seem to recall they are thought highly of by those who have.. I think they were gained popularity in ice fishing, not sure what the burn time is, I imagine somewhat short.