Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

(Spray) Paint Job. Pre/Post prep.

Hey guys. I've done a lot of lookign around on the internet for finding information on the best possibly way to paint a bus. I've definatly found some good tips, but I still have some questions I was hoping could all be answered in one place.

Our bus is being converted into a mobile art platform. It will be a huge sound stange on wheels, and at the same time, a mobile piece of art. So we really want to make sure that the exterior paint job is done properly. As it stands, it is a regular school bus right from the school board. Our artist will be using high quality spray paint to paint the bus. First off, I want to make sure that the surface is prepared properly. Some places I read talk about just sanding the surface with 150 grit sand paper, then cleaning with acetone. Other places mention primer. Should we plan to apply primer to the entire bus after it is sanded before painting it? Also, the school bus is mostly metal, with parts that are fiberglass as well (the hood). Would you prepare the fiberglass areas the same as the metal ones? (Sanding, priming, sealing, etc?)

Once the bus is properly primed and painted, what do you suggest to coat the bus in to ensure that it is sealed and protected from natures harshest elements? I am brand new to the bus conversion process, and even more new to vehicle painting so I really do appreciate all your help and tips. Like I said, we want the best possibly paint job done, without having to worry about this massive piece of art peeling, or diminishing due to the fact that the final paint job wasn't protected properly. Thank you all!

Baran
-BassBus

bassbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford B-series AmTran
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L
Rated Cap: 65
Re: (Spray) Paint Job. Pre/Post prep.

Bump. I'm wondering the same thing.
headin2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Mostly it depends on how expensive a paint job you want. I would suggest you either get something like, "How to paint your street rod" or how to paint a car book, or you can look online as well. It is no different for a bus, just takes more paint. Normally for something like a bus you will have some rust areas that need completely cleaned or sandblasted, some peeling, and the like. a cheapie paint job would just sand over the areas and maybe the whole thing a bit or even scotcbrite the good areas and shoot the thing with equipment enamel, which white usually costs me around $25.00 a gallon at the automotive paint store. You will find most employees helpful in those stores if you just tell them what you are doing. If you are doing a normal paint job on a bus, you should start off around 100 grit or so, (depending on the repairs needed) and use the DA and final wet sand around 400. If i were doing it and not using a urethane product, i would use basecoat/clearcoat finish. You could easily spend up to $1000. for paint and clear coat and hardners depending on the color, product line and clear coat thickness. Reds are getting expensive a gallon, but if you use something like Trinity paint co. which has a website and i think also sells stuff on eBay, its way cheaper, and we have painted several cars with their products.
If you are going to paint a mural or someting on it, you will need to do very good prep work, and use lots of clear coat, as people will be examing it closely... hope this helps
Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

I just painted my bus with an Industrial Acrylic Enamel paint, applied with an airless sprayer. It turned out beautiful, really. The paint costs about twice what Rustoleum does, but it's water cleanup, so no paint thinner to purchase or to dispose of.

It took a gallon and a half to paint (I had previously painted the roof white). 3 days to prep, 1/2 hour to paint.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

This is what my airless applied Acrylic Enamel paint job looks like. Machinerey Green.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Me thinks it's a Wagner. It's the kind that you put a 5 gal. bucket of paint under.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I painted our old Apache popup with a Wagner hand held electric airless sprayer (one of the cheapie ones) and it gave a decent paint job (Rustoleum Enamel - Hunter Green). It made for a slightly textured finish but I sprayed it on the "low" setting. I don't think I thinned the paint at all.

large pic of the Apache is here I have been having trouble viewing the site. So you might not be able to get the pics to load.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

The problem of using oil based paint with an airless with the gun on a hose is, IMHO, the amount of solvent one would need to clean the thing. I had 50' of hose, which is nice, in that you don't have to move the pump as you paint; but more hose=more solvent. I probaby used 20 gal. plus of water for equipment cleanup. I'm sure I'd use a whole lot less thinner for cleanup.

My knowledge for use of the airless sprayer is limited to how to prime, pull the trigger, and paint. If I really knew how to spray paint, my bus' paint job would of been perfect. Such that it is, this project gets a solid B.

Don't know how durable the acrylic paint will be, but after all, it is industrial equipment paint. It should at least help me hide it in the blackberries for a few years.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

anyone have tips for painting fiberglass?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

On new FRP, I used a plastic primer that comes in a spray can, purchased from the local big box store. Regular topcoat. Has worked well (for all of 3 weeks so far).
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

i wouldnt use my airless... if i didnt have an air compressor, i would use my bus air...and my portable spray gun/water filter, etc stand that i made.

as far as paint matching.. all one has to do nowdays is take a small panel or bit to the industrial paint type wholeseller and it will be matched very well..

paint prices at the those stores have gone way up for acrilic enamel.. we buy more and more paint from the paint for cars/trinity guys who ship it. My local automotive paint store now wants 51.00 a gallon for white ... and 2 yrs ago the price was 26...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

adm should delete the mayonaisedegorgous guy,,,
Old 03-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #13

a mobile art platform? that's incredible! I also have no idea how to help you on this but I hope you post the pics when your bus is done.
ethelterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Chevy Eldorado
Chassis: Fiberglass Shuttle Bus
Engine: C5500 Kodiak Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
On new FRP, I used a plastic primer that comes in a spray can, purchased from the local big box store. Regular topcoat. Has worked well (for all of 3 weeks so far).
would you say this primer coat and a regular auto spray paint in a can would be sufficient for a fiberglass shuttle bus? i've also contemplated a partial wrap, don't know enough about the durability though
Jessiekij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
i wouldnt use my airless... if i didnt have an air compressor, i would use my bus air...and my portable spray gun/water filter, etc stand that i made.

as far as paint matching.. all one has to do nowdays is take a small panel or bit to the industrial paint type wholeseller and it will be matched very well..

paint prices at the those stores have gone way up for acrilic enamel.. we buy more and more paint from the paint for cars/trinity guys who ship it. My local automotive paint store now wants 51.00 a gallon for white ... and 2 yrs ago the price was 26...
over spray from an airless is likely less than 1/3 of conventional spray, even less with an HVLP
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote