Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #21
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it.
If there is a need, and someone wants to pay for a service, so be it.
Good luck with it
Good ol' American Capitalism at work. This type of school might be good for giving someone an overview of skills needed, and perhaps things the student hadn't ever considered. Years ago, a lot more folks had the skills to do almost ALL of this stuff. Back in 1931, a 17 year old boy built this car ... and put over 100,000 miles on it: ... but now ... not so much. Also, some folks just cannot learn form reading ... maybe this school can help them get started.

This said, NOBODY can know EVERYTHING. You don't know what you don't know ... ya' know? I've been in the mechanical trades all my life but have found a number of vids and books VERY helpful. I'm forever grateful to the authors of RV Electrical Safety and RV Electrical Systems.

I wish I could find similar books that teach 3 system (Potable Water, Waste water and Propane/Natural Gas) plumbing and pipe fitting for RV's.

I also think almost everybody could benefit from a REAL book written by someone with real creds about insulating heat/cold/sound in the RV.

Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I also think almost everybody could benefit from a REAL book written by someone with real creds about insulating heat/cold/sound in the RV.
Generally I'd agree. Yet even with the info easily available here we still see many people converting buses and adding no insulation at all. The ones who recognize the need tend to find everything they need to know.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I know I'm going to do a play by play paint job and document it really well on here.
Spent the last couple days watching paint go onto buses and I think folks need a decent guide on how to actually paint a bus and make it look ok,
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Personally, I think someone should write a book on how to BUY a skoolie.
How about it ECCB?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Generally I'd agree. Yet even with the info easily available here we still see many people converting buses and adding no insulation at all.
Sorry, I'd have to disagree. GOOD information on insulation is NOT easily found here, nor are many of the sources clutter up posts all that knowledgeable.

Insulation is a topic that is HUGE ... and it is spread all over this forum. You can find insulation treads on ALL of the individual forum topics on this website. With many "experts" arguing over it.

Insulation is a subject that could do with it's own Skoolie Tech forum on this website.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I know I'm going to do a play by play paint job and document it really well on here.
Please start with showing folks how do do an acceptable, uniform paint job using rattle cans. Begin with prep and applying primer.

I watched a youtube vid from a very popular rv travel-type series last night. The young lady was trying to paint a door using rattle cans.

Her job was so poor I wanted to cry.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Seems a lot of "How To" vids on YouTube should be labeled "How NOT To".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Care to show us a link? Well said tango, there is a lot of videos out there that should come with a warning label of some kind.

I won't go to far off track, but you have to give the average person credit for trying, but there is a line in the sand. Now a days everyone gets a trophy and is called a winner for basically just showing up. Anyone that speaks the truth is a troll or mean an (insert cuss word here) etc. It helps to hear it sucks that looks like crap and you go back and learn how to do it right! (Said I won't go to far off track!)

Someone once told me common sense is anything but common. And it's amazing how true it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I watched a youtube vid from a very popular rv travel-type series last night. The young lady was trying to paint a door using rattle cans.Her job was so poor I wanted to cry.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Personally, I think someone should write a book on how to BUY a skoolie.
How about it ECCB?
Maybe I'll just start selling them instead.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Care to show us a link? Well said tango, there is a lot of videos out there that should come with a warning label of some kind.

I won't go to far off track, but you have to give the average person credit for trying, but there is a line in the sand. Now a days everyone gets a trophy and is called a winner for basically just showing up. Anyone that speaks the truth is a troll or mean an (insert cuss word here) etc. It helps to hear it sucks that looks like crap and you go back and learn how to do it right! (Said I won't go to far off track!)

Someone once told me common sense is anything but common. And it's amazing how true it is.
Couldn't agree more.
Had to tell someone recently that their paint job looked like kids from a special school were turned loose with paint brushes.
They were/are going to paint more buses and all I could do was cringe.

I don't go easy on the Participation Trophy Generation.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Well, I'll pay someone to find me a 2k 4 window shorty that requires minimal mechanical work.
Let me know if you find that unicorn for that price.
LOL, I'll pay you

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Probably a dead thread, but has anyone ever used the bus converting bible? Im not rich, but im handy and have lots of time on my hands..all i really need is something to reference when needed..
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote