Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
Almost There
 
Skipoffools's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 78
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
Sticker removal

I recently discovered a great tool for removing "school bus" stickers. A guy at the local auto paint store sold me an eraser disc for removing pinstripes and decals. Was slightly skeptical about it and got home put it on my cordless drill and MAN does that things work just as I was told, it erases the stickers just like a pencil eraser. Use the edge of the wheel and it comes off (without harming the paint!) with in a few passes leaving behind what looks like pencil eraser dust. I've tried sanders and chemicals but nothing beats this eraser wheel. Here's a link I found of the same product. I think 3M and a few others make them too.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-400E-Pi...2TY?th=1&psc=1

I'm sure a few of you all know of these but I figured to pass on the info to others who are in the same boat as I, prepping for paint.
Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:24 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon/Philippines
Posts: 1,660
that is one method of removal for small stickers. doesnt work so great on equipment like the huge bobcat sticker on the back of the mini excavators, nor the huge lettering on the gradall.

Use your 4000 lb hot water pressure washer. That is what I use for all decals.
__________________
Jesus Christ... Conversion in progress.
chev49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,220
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipoffools View Post
I recently discovered a great tool for removing "school bus" stickers. A guy at the local auto paint store sold me an eraser disc for removing pinstripes and decals. Was slightly skeptical about it and got home put it on my cordless drill and MAN does that things work just as I was told, it erases the stickers just like a pencil eraser. Use the edge of the wheel and it comes off (without harming the paint!) with in a few passes leaving behind what looks like pencil eraser dust. I've tried sanders and chemicals but nothing beats this eraser wheel. Here's a link I found of the same product. I think 3M and a few others make them too.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-400E-Pi...2TY?th=1&psc=1

I'm sure a few of you all know of these but I figured to pass on the info to others who are in the same boat as I, prepping for paint.
Only way to remove some of the decals. The reflective strips on my bus wouldn't come off for anything. Till I tried one of these.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Almost There
 
Skipoffools's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 78
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
that is one method of removal for small stickers. doesnt work so great on equipment like the huge bobcat sticker on the back of the mini excavators, nor the huge lettering on the gradall.

Use your 4000 lb hot water pressure washer. That is what I use for all decals.
Good to know! Maybe when I can afford a piece of heavy equipment I'll pick up a 4000 lb hot water pressure washer. But for now the eraser wheel meets my needs.
Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 21
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: NaviStar DT466e 7.6
Rated Cap: 29,000
Good 'ol heat gun always works for me.
XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:11 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon/Philippines
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipoffools View Post
Good to know! Maybe when I can afford a piece of heavy equipment I'll pick up a 4000 lb hot water pressure washer. But for now the eraser wheel meets my needs.
Is ok... if you want to make $300 for an hour or two of work, get one. I have often made 1K a day...and the pressure washers only cost around 4K... Just saying.
__________________
Jesus Christ... Conversion in progress.
chev49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
golfersmurf57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 386
I need something that will remove the adhesive that's left after the lettering is peeled. Tried acetone, carb cleaner , pressure washing and would rather not repaint any ideas? These have been on for quite a while. Its not a bus its an astro van with company name and number from the seller. I paid for it don't want to advertise for free.


Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,220
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
I need something that will remove the adhesive that's left after the lettering is peeled. Tried acetone, carb cleaner , pressure washing and would rather not repaint any ideas? These have been on for quite a while. Its not a bus its an astro van with company name and number from the seller. I paid for it don't want to advertise for free.


Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
One of these on a drill will do it real nice-
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipoffools View Post
I recently discovered a great tool for removing "school bus" stickers. A guy at the local auto paint store sold me an eraser disc for removing pinstripes and decals. Was slightly skeptical about it and got home put it on my cordless drill and MAN does that things work just as I was told, it erases the stickers just like a pencil eraser. Use the edge of the wheel and it comes off (without harming the paint!) with in a few passes leaving behind what looks like pencil eraser dust. I've tried sanders and chemicals but nothing beats this eraser wheel. Here's a link I found of the same product. I think 3M and a few others make them too.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-400E-Pi...2TY?th=1&psc=1

I'm sure a few of you all know of these but I figured to pass on the info to others who are in the same boat as I, prepping for paint.
I just wanted to post here to thank you for this tip. I ended up needing one for each set of stickers (front and back) because our bus was from Arizona, so the stickers were baked on for 18 years, but this was the only thing that worked and it looks so much better now.
verotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Pendleton Indiana
Posts: 281
Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Never used one of thoses wheels but heard nothing but good things. A steam jenny will remove everything make sure to use PPE and be careful with it.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 17
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Minotour
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3l Diesel
HUGE thank you for posting this. Best ten bucks I've spent in a long time.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #12
Almost There
 
Chongolio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: HI, CA, OR, PU (Parts Unknown)
Posts: 81
Coachwork: Ward Vanguard
Chassis: GMC Vandura 3500
Engine: 350 Chevy V8
I got to use one of of those wheels on some of my stickers. Goo Be Gone and a razor also worked for me where keeping my balance was needed.

A high rpm drill made a world of difference on the eraser wheels performance
Chongolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 17
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Minotour
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3l Diesel
For posterity, we went almost the whole way through one eraser disc removing the labeling from our short bus, and that was with us hand-peeling the "FIRST STUDENT" lettering off the sides (those peeled off pretty easily).


We've not done the internal lettering yet, but that will likely peel off too.


YMMV.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 3
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
yellow flashing nightmare

So, I have the magic eraser wheel and while it works great on the lettering and other small decals on the outside of the bus, the yellow flashing tape is giving me a hell of alot of trouble.... The wheel will eventually take it off, but it seriously burns the rubber off..At this rate I will need five wheels to get through all of the tape.... do I leave the tape and eventually paint over it like a "pinstripe" or....... burn the wheel up? What do y'all think? Much thanks.
Jacob&Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob&Spencer View Post
So, I have the magic eraser wheel and while it works great on the lettering and other small decals on the outside of the bus, the yellow flashing tape is giving me a hell of alot of trouble.... The wheel will eventually take it off, but it seriously burns the rubber off..At this rate I will need five wheels to get through all of the tape.... do I leave the tape and eventually paint over it like a "pinstripe" or....... burn the wheel up? What do y'all think? Much thanks.
Heatgun and scraper.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #16
Bus Nut
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 964
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob&Spencer View Post
So, I have the magic eraser wheel and while it works great on the lettering and other small decals on the outside of the bus, the yellow flashing tape is giving me a hell of alot of trouble.... The wheel will eventually take it off, but it seriously burns the rubber off..At this rate I will need five wheels to get through all of the tape.... do I leave the tape and eventually paint over it like a "pinstripe" or....... burn the wheel up? What do y'all think? Much thanks.
I *think* the eraser wheels are designed mostly just to remove adhesive, not the tape itself. Remove all the tape with a heat gun/putty knife, then hit the remaining adhesive with the wheel.

EDIT: I don't type as fast as Twigg.

EDIT: But faster than Charlie.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,220
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob&Spencer View Post
So, I have the magic eraser wheel and while it works great on the lettering and other small decals on the outside of the bus, the yellow flashing tape is giving me a hell of alot of trouble.... The wheel will eventually take it off, but it seriously burns the rubber off..At this rate I will need five wheels to get through all of the tape.... do I leave the tape and eventually paint over it like a "pinstripe" or....... burn the wheel up? What do y'all think? Much thanks.
Use a heat gun (powerful hair dryer) and a sharp scraper for the reflective tape. Use the rubber wheel for whats left.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #18
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
I used the rubber wheel for it all. We tried scraping the letters off first. They were the big SCHOOL BUS letters that are reflective and like 8" tall, and it was a giant square sticker, it wasnt just letters, they were black letters on yellow reflective. Our bus spent 17 years in the arizona sun, the letters were pretty much part of the paint, and trying to get them off with a scraper was useless. I burned through one wheel on the front letters and one on the back. I used my really big drill, 10 amp. Lots of smoke and rubber, but it got it done. It isn't easy, but its the only thing that worked.
verotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #19
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,220
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by verotik View Post
I used the rubber wheel for it all. We tried scraping the letters off first. They were the big SCHOOL BUS letters that are reflective and like 8" tall, and it was a giant square sticker, it wasnt just letters, they were black letters on yellow reflective. Our bus spent 17 years in the arizona sun, the letters were pretty much part of the paint, and trying to get them off with a scraper was useless. I burned through one wheel on the front letters and one on the back. I used my really big drill, 10 amp. Lots of smoke and rubber, but it got it done. It isn't easy, but its the only thing that worked.
Yes! A lot depends on how baked on the decals and tape are.
On one side of my Colorado bus I had to use the wheel for the entire drivers side.
Last 2 buses I've de-stickered went easy with the heat gun and I only had to use the rubber wheel to clean up afterward.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:07 AM   #20
Bus Nut
 
bus-bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.
Posts: 828
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
You know, I found a solvent that worked great for me: xeylene! One of those solvents that might kill. But I wonder if my memory serves me well. Maybe it was the xeyline, benzine, gasoline, hydrazine or volitale bramines, but one of those solvents removed the goo. Can't remember so well anymore for some reason.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×