Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Subfloor setups

So we have an elastomeric roof coat on our floor now and want to run out idea past some more people before committing. We are planning on taking 1/2" foam and gluing it to 4x8 1/4" plywood. We want to lay it down plywood side up with 1/4" gaps where the board butts the bus and 1/8" gaps between plywood. My only concern is that without having the plywood scrwed down to anything to may buckle irregularly. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brundige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's true, there can be some curl in the plywood if it's not held down by something. Most people have cabinets or other items that effectively hold down the floor and prevent warping.

That's generally called a floating floor and is pretty common in buses. I put screws in the corners and sides of the floor I did to make sure it wouldn't move or warp.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Cool, I called the paint company that makes the elastomeric roof coating that we were planning on applying on the floor and they said absolutely not because of gasses that it releases. Does anyone know if there is a safe Interior paint that has the same properties as the elastomeric roof coating?

What did you screw into ? The metal floor? Is there a special kind of screw ?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Bus Geek

People have been using a number of methods to treat the rust on the steel floor. Ospho to kill the rust, then other treatments including Rustoleum. I've never heard anyone mention the solvents on these normal rust treatments. I can understand how an exterior sealant could have harmful solvents in it in comparison to other treatments, but I don't know much about that.

Yes, I just drilled pilot holes and put a wood to metal screw in each corner of the plywood sheets as cut to make the edges match. Don't make them to tight if you're including rigid insulation in your floor.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
1/4" plywood isn't going to give you much support to keep from denting the insulation underneath. I used 1" insulation and 3/4" tongue and groove Drymax OSB. I offset the seams of the insulation and the plywood to keep the seams from having a common weak area. All of mine is glued down.
bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstewrat3 View Post
1/4" plywood isn't going to give you much support to keep from denting the insulation underneath. I used 1" insulation and 3/4" tongue and groove Drymax OSB. I offset the seams of the insulation and the plywood to keep the seams from having a common weak area. All of mine is glued down.
We are trying to keep the floor minimally thick as I'm 6'3. On top of the plywood we are putting 2mm underlayment and adding traffic master vinyl flooring. Do you think that will be adequate ?

Old 06-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I don't know how flexible your other flooring materials are but I'd suggest thicker ply to make your floor solid. Tong and groove works well to keep the edges matching.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I can only go by what I have done, but I would take away from the insulation thickness and add to the plywood. With your layers being thin I would try to avoid common seams. Maybe go with the 1/4" fan fold insulation and a 1/2" T&G plywood and use the same underlayment and vinyl. The adhesive I used is PL 300 which is specifically for foam insulation.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72 Passengers
What would be the downside to screwing to the floor? I planned on going under the bus to coat all the screws that came through.

I can relate to the OP. Im 6'2" and concerned about going to crazy on floor height. Im ok with slouching while walking, but my wife is not. If I go above the stock floor height by even an inch, she will be in danger of hitting her head...
ZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedEx View Post
What would be the downside to screwing to the floor? I planned on going under the bus to coat all the screws that came through.

I can relate to the OP. Im 6'2" and concerned about going to crazy on floor height. Im ok with slouching while walking, but my wife is not. If I go above the stock floor height by even an inch, she will be in danger of hitting her head...
there is no downside, just a different way of doing it
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

is it worth gluing down the rigid foam panels? or can they float until screwed down with the plywood?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

If you plan to screw them down, I wouldn't waste time gluing them. The only thing it may help with is avoiding the insulation squeak when things shift.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
foam

IF you guys are desperate for height, spray foam the underside of floor 2" and just lay the plywood on the treated/sealed steel floor, Like BlueBird does from factory.

Or raise that roof ! I thought my wife was tall at 6'
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
IF you guys are desperate for height, spray foam the underside of floor 2" and just lay the plywood on the treated/sealed steel floor, Like BlueBird does from factory.

And hope like hell you never have to replace a fuel, brake, air line under the bus.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

It's easy enough to isolate the wires and lines ahead of time. Im finding several examples online of people doing it to motor homes and campers. I also don't have air lines. Ill have to leave the spot over the fuel tank open though.
Is 2" necessary? I was thinking just 1".
Old 06-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
It's easy enough to isolate the wires and lines ahead of time. Im finding several examples online of people doing it to motor homes and campers. I also don't have air lines. Ill have to leave the spot over the fuel tank open though.
Is 2" necessary? I was thinking just 1".
I have air lines, air tanks, and for some damn reason a front fuel tank in an RE bus. With the rust conversion about complete, I guess I need to start making some "hard" decisions. Hard in that once made and committed, it will be difficult to undo.

Should I move the tank to the rear and get rid of the hatch and filler neck up front? Should I spray foam the floor and then foam board over it? Should I do radiant heating? That will only get me to the point of a plywood floor. It's going to start to get expensive fast. Appliances, electrical system, etc.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I have air lines, air tanks, and for some damn reason a front fuel tank in an RE bus. With the rust conversion about complete, I guess I need to start making some "hard" decisions. Hard in that once made and committed, it will be difficult to undo.

Should I move the tank to the rear and get rid of the hatch and filler neck up front? Should I spray foam the floor and then foam board over it? Should I do radiant heating? That will only get me to the point of a plywood floor. It's going to start to get expensive fast. Appliances, electrical system, etc.
I hear ya. This is a super important step that you can't undo. We're just going to have to commit to something
Old 06-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #18
Bus Geek

To this point I've just been farting around. Bought some lights, back up cameras, this and that kind of stuff that I can't even install yet. Welded a patch here and there. Slapped (sprayed) some paint on the outside. Did a terrible job masking.

Already screwing things up. I need to weld patches in the floor where the heater hoses went under the emergency door. Also need to finish the patch behind the driver's seat. Should have done that before treating the floor. I just wanted to get SOMETHING done so it looks like progress is being made. This time I think I'll just weld over the floor instead of trying to cut pieces to fit in the holes. The floor isn't exactly level anyway.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
To this point I've just been farting around. Bought some lights, back up cameras, this and that kind of stuff that I can't even install yet. Welded a patch here and there. Slapped (sprayed) some paint on the outside. Did a terrible job masking.

Already screwing things up. I need to weld patches in the floor where the heater hoses went under the emergency door. Also need to finish the patch behind the driver's seat. Should have done that before treating the floor. I just wanted to get SOMETHING done so it looks like progress is being made. This time I think I'll just weld over the floor instead of trying to cut pieces to fit in the holes. The floor isn't exactly level anyway.
I did the exact same thing with my house Renos. Had to get little victories to motivate me and improve my mental state around the project.
So I should get the rust hole on my wheel well cleaned up and welded before treating the floor? I have a bunch of painted 26ga steel to cut up and flue down for the bolt holes. I'll undercoat them later with a rattle can
Old 06-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
I did the exact same thing with my house Renos. Had to get little victories to motivate me and improve my mental state around the project.
So I should get the rust hole on my wheel well cleaned up and welded before treating the floor? I have a bunch of painted 26ga steel to cut up and flue down for the bolt holes. I'll undercoat them later with a rattle can
I don't want these "short cuts" to bite me in the as5 but I don't have a lot of self discipline or patience when I'm hot and sweaty. Should have bought a heat gun to help with getting chalking off the walls at the floors. Instead I'm scraping with a pry bar. I still have a few spots with chalking and even a couple of plywood splinters under there. It's at the corners of the wall and floor, it'll be covered up, and not seen. But by the very same token, that's where any moisture and rust will eventually be.

If I'm covering up the easy stuff already, what's it going to be like when I need to cut true 45° angles to build a cabinet?