Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 07:02 AM   #61
Almost There

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3500
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 8 handicapped
#11- Thou shalt never use the word 'commandment'. It just rubs people the wrong way.

jackdebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:24 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
There's a group on Facebook, Skoolie Nation, that I recently joined after meeting a nice couple in a skoolie. Over there it's not uncommon for some people to buy a bus and then ask the group what engine or trans they have. It takes a different level of patience to try and help someone, especially with electrical issues. I'm not a Facebook kinda guy and I don't care for their politics but I feel like I should be directing them to this site.
I had to leave all the FB groups. I couldn't take it anymore.

no one does research
they all cut wires first and cry later
many don't have tools
nor a place to even work on the bus

My personal favorite: everyone on the FB has this idea they are going to live rent free across america, and then choke when they realize the places they wish to go, ironically especially left leaning states/cities, are saying NO more and more to buses and other off grid stuff. They post often how shocked they are that they bought land (without research) and got a note from the council (county/city etc) saying cease and desist

Then there are the help me I am broke down because I did no research and etc and I am broke and stuck threads constantly...

After answering a question on an AT545 and getting flamed by some dipshit talking out of his arse I just couldn't take it anymore.

I'm one of only a few that has successfully done an AT545 to A2000 transmission swap so I think I am pretty knowledgeable about the IH drivetrain so to get in an argument with some dreadlocked hippie telling me the AT545 does indeed have a locking torque converter for the umpteenth time I just left.

I joined the FB groups to help, not to ask shite. And instead all I got was shite.

I check here every so often on the IH drivetrain site.. sometimes (like now) a random thread over on the right side bar catches my eye and I may reply.

but you can have the FB nutters

I'm here for the IH stuff
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:32 AM   #63
Almost There

I ignore the whiners and the pontificators.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International CE
Chassis: CE
Engine: 7.6
Rated Cap: 26 seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I – Thou shalt not jump in feet-first without doing thy research.

II – Thou shalt have a realistic budget, and thou shalt not overpay.

III – Thou shalt know what thee is buying.

IV – Thou shalt not take thy seller's word as gold.

V – Thou shalt not buy sight unseen without a pre-purchase inspection.

VI – Thou shalt not buy diesels newer than 2007, nor shalt thou treat diesel engines as gasoline.

VII – Thou shalt study thine Commercial Driver's Manual, and take thy skoolie's weight, height and length seriously.

VIII – Thou shalt plan thy conversion carefully before beginning, and thou shalt seek help if necessary.

IX – Thou shalt not wontonly cut wiring, disable safety devices, or remove anything without consulting skoolie.net or professionals.

X – Thou shalt not scrap anything removed until it is proven unnecessary.
Now I see this! I've already busted 6 of these, still have a few more to go!
slowstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #65
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Wow! skip a week and look at all the sh*t I missed. Hey Cheese if you're still reading as others have said, got your back!
I think it's just about time to put all this woke, cancel culture BS on the back burner for a while. If you don't like "thou shall not" or "commandments" there is an easy solution, turn the page! It's called free speech for a reason, I may not like what you have to say but I will fully support your right to say it. This thread was started by a very knowledgable person to try and help many others and while it was meant to be serious it should have also be taken in jest. There have been some on here that I have had disagreements with but I respect and value their opinions and try to learn from them. I truly hope Cheese comes back because I think we may have lost a very huge encyclopedia of knowledge.
As always stay safe out there
Cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #66
Bus Nut

Quote:

VI – Thou shalt not buy diesels newer than 2007, nor shalt thou treat diesel engines as gasoline.

VII – Thou shalt study thine Commercial Driver's Manual, and take thy skoolie's weight, height and length seriously.

VIII – Thou shalt plan thy conversion carefully before beginning, and thou shalt seek help if necessary.

IX – Thou shalt not wontonly cut wiring, disable safety devices, or remove anything without consulting skoolie.net or professionals.

I actually went back, re-read these and thought about it

I didn't break any in buying our Vista

not a one

wow
Old 04-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #67
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
This sounds like there are scenarios where it is acceptable to be a jerk, just not in reaction to others not following the commandments. Why not simply a commandment "thou shalt not be a jerk"? The reason is simple: cheap moral points.

Not much point to rules if we're going to rule out critiquing those who chose not to follow them.

I spend time helping people with the same set of questions and issues regularly, when all of the answers are available here. The impulse to go after people whom have lost patience to deal with people not doing their research/due diligence is more toxic than the shaming in question.

He's one of the reasons I stick around.

And they had plenty of warning before getting into a mess of their own making. Yet when pointing out that they are responsible for where they are and why, not only do they get offended but a brigade rolls in to get offended on their behalf. All that accomplishes is chasing the biggest contributors out, I'm not going to bother helping people if I get attacked for saying what is true. Sometimes the path forward begins with acknowledging mistakes made as to not make more mistakes going forward, or to do damage control.

Notably the "rescue threads" are started by posters with single digit post counts, and even when they receive help we're unlikely to get them to respond meaningfully ( with pictures when needed, or follow troubleshooting steps and answering our questions ), nor will they post their resolutions in the threads they started for other users, or ever contribute to the site in any way.

Thread title: IT DONT WORK, HOW DO I TROUBLESHOOT IT!? HELP!
Helpers: "Do you have X? Can you tell me Y? Can you try Z and let us know what happens?"
OP either ghosts or: "Haha, thanks I'll call an electrician"

But yeah, lets attack the users with a decade-long membership or 5-digit post counts because they were insensitive to or shamed this same category of people in some way. Great idea. Wonder who will stick around for that.

Buying buses at auction and remarketing them to the uninformed. Top dollar return, zero effort. The buyers either get really lucky or they get really unlucky... And when you point this out you get sanctioned in some way.

Well said mate

Brilliant post and exactly why I left the facebook groups and took all my knowledge and "went home"

The attitudes of some (most) of them hell IMHO they deserve the karma they get.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #68
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Hopefully the moderator(s) didn't drop the ban hammer on CW?
It didn't sound that way in his last posting, but post# 56???
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Hopefully the moderator(s) didn't drop the ban hammer on CW?
It didn't sound that way in his last posting, but post# 56???
I was led to believe that's the case. Granted, anyone can doctor up a screenshot to show anything now, but I really doubt that's what he did.

We'll all come and go at some point I guess.

I echo the other's on FB. I'm still a part of one group for buses, but unless there are fewer then 5 comments on a "help me" post, I scroll past. Too much mis/non information on there for me to waste my time and precious patience on.

Don't get me started on those who take a hatchet to their wires, and then complain and panic about a no-start.

I guess I don't feel like arguing any more with people. The world seems to have gone confrontational, and my heart hurts to do that 24/7.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i cant find your email contact cheesewagon but you know i have your back.
PM me your email?
they did make full size gas powered buses and my son and i are mechanically inclined enough to build and put a gas motor into any bus you want and i might be down on the coast of NC but virginia isnt out of reach for weekend trips to make it happen.
can even haul/bring an excavator or forklift for a motor/tranny puller/installer.
we got this.
mitcheldaniel252@gmail.com
i dont check it very often but i will pay more attention.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i was one of those newbies that bought a bus and at the time i didnt even know this sight existed but one day i think in 2015 my wife found this site and i have been hooked ever since.
yes my first bus was purchased before i ever new about this site?
yes it has a very un desirable power train but knowing what i had it has served us well as a family camper and boy scout hauler even at 49mph.
on the flat land areas it was designed for.
my second bus i found after many years on this site was found on this site is a shorty and was a handicap bus in raleigh and it has no issue running the interstate.
lesson learned from my personal experience and the knowledge of this site.
search/search/search and if you cant find what you are looking for ask the question.?
up front info would be
exactly what your bus is?
and your specific problem/issue.
THERE ARE BUTTHEADS EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD?
HOW YOU DEAL WITH THEM IS UP TO YOU?
i am not a keyboard warrior?
i am a hands on worker so i am good at ignoring some jackleg with a mouth.
might respond one time with an opinion but after that its?
SHUT YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU ARE TALKING TO ME?
this site is full of knowledge and alot of great and good members here that are willing to share there experience.
i dont do facebook because of the BS and never was on a FB skoolie site.
so for some please keep the FB skoolie arguments over there and dont drag them into here.
debate an issue with constructive criticism is one thing that might hurt some feelings but helps in the end.
downgrading criticism does no one any good except it might make you feel better than the other person?
if thats what you want then get the HE-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS off of this site that is for a better purpose.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:46 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:

Palabra de Skoolie.net.
Te bendesimos senor skoolie.
LOL
Old 05-10-2021, 11:18 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Some good commandments to follow absolutely. Easy to get excited and pull the trigger on something. Make damn sure you know what you're getting into 1st. Im in research mode now.

I personally want a 6 window. Gas big block for now, b/c im confident i can fix it on side of road. lol or oreilly parking lot. Just saw a 6 window, 83 GMC 454 gas, 5 speed manual i really wanted but not quite ready. It sold in 3 or 4 days. $4300. It was sweet. Im sure he'se on here or was.
Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:37 AM   #74
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Slider View Post
Some good commandments to follow absolutely. Easy to get excited and pull the trigger on something. Make damn sure you know what you're getting into 1st. Im in research mode now.

I personally want a 6 window. Gas big block for now, b/c im confident i can fix it on side of road. lol or oreilly parking lot. Just saw a 6 window, 83 GMC 454 gas, 5 speed manual i really wanted but not quite ready. It sold in 3 or 4 days. $4300. It was sweet. Im sure he'se on here or was.
There will be others, you have to be ready to jump.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:45 AM   #75
Almost There

You should consider drying up and blowing away. And take your stone tablets with you.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #76
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdebear View Post
You should consider drying up and blowing away. And take your stone tablets with you.
Why all the whinning and pontificating of this thread? We've read all four of your attacks to this thread. That's more than 20% of your posting activity, focused on just one thread.
I hope you are able to find peace while these words exist in hyperspace. It's renting space in your head. Let it go, friend.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #77
Almost There

Obviously the problem starts with Moses. The commandment post is obviously irritating to lots of us. Instead of lecturing us about expressing irritation I would suggest the thing to do is remove the irritation. But I don't suppose that is likely to happen even though the neither original pontification nor any of the responses have had any value whatsoever. IE; it's a total waste of virtual space as well as being a general annoyance. So I'm going to deal with this at a personal level and sign out of the thread and hope I never have to hear another word about it.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #78
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdebear View Post
Obviously the problem starts with Moses. The commandment post is obviously irritating to lots of us. Instead of lecturing us about expressing irritation I would suggest the thing to do is remove the irritation. But I don't suppose that is likely to happen even though the neither original pontification nor any of the responses have had any value whatsoever. IE; it's a total waste of virtual space as well as being a general annoyance. So I'm going to deal with this at a personal level and sign out of the thread and hope I never have to hear another word about it.
Thank you!

I feel a larger number of people will find more value in this thread, commandments and all, then they will from your complaints about it. The original post address the core issues that many first time skoolie buyers will face. Did it need to be in a commandment style format? No, it did not. But the format is irrelevant as it still gets the message across that these points should be followed for a happy skoolie experience. It's not a coincidence that most of the people that come on here with troubles didn't follow the advice laid out.

This is the internet, if there isn't something on it that annoys or upsets you, you haven't been on it long enough. The key is to let it go and move on. I've got a feeling the "lots of us" in your post isn't that high of a number.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #79
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
The only thing you have to do jack/bear is not click on the thread, as it seems you've now committed to do!
It really is that simple, if your feelings are hurt over the biblical reference.
Let's hope you're a man of your word and we don't hear from you again on this thread.

The rest of us will continue to reference these words of wit to the newbies looking for guidance, even though the original author is no longer with us...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:53 PM   #80
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Chassis: HDX with lift
Engine: Mercedes MBE 920
Rated Cap: 22
My first bus purchase, 5 years ago, I did not know this site existed. I'm not totally stupid, but I broke about 1/2 of those Commandments. While I was wasting time and money trying to turn that sow's ear in to a silk purse, I did find y'all and got some REALLY good advice/tips/information.

This time, when I got the bug again back in January, I started my research AND got back on here almost daily, just refreshing myself. I pulled the trigger in April. THIS TIME, I have had a few questions, but for the most part I actually did all that stuff.

Except II...I don't know how you don't overpay. lol. But I'm running about 15-20% over budget this time, instead of 100%.

And because I did research it, and did have a plan before I purchased, I'm probably going to be on the road 90 days after purchase, more or less complete. Not to say the plan hasn't had to be modified somewhat, but mostly she looks like I laid it out before I purchased.
DAVEHOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote