Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 12:49 AM   #81
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEHOLMAN View Post
My first bus purchase, 5 years ago, I did not know this site existed. I'm not totally stupid, but I broke about 1/2 of those Commandments. While I was wasting time and money trying to turn that sow's ear in to a silk purse, I did find y'all and got some REALLY good advice/tips/information.

This time, when I got the bug again back in January, I started my research AND got back on here almost daily, just refreshing myself. I pulled the trigger in April. THIS TIME, I have had a few questions, but for the most part I actually did all that stuff.

Except II...I don't know how you don't overpay. lol. But I'm running about 15-20% over budget this time, instead of 100%.

And because I did research it, and did have a plan before I purchased, I'm probably going to be on the road 90 days after purchase, more or less complete. Not to say the plan hasn't had to be modified somewhat, but mostly she looks like I laid it out before I purchased.
90 days is an awesome and ambitious schedule and it looks like you're making fantastic headway there Dave, keep it up and get cruising!
Cheers

Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #82

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Mid Bus Inc. Ohio ( might be wrong)
Chassis: Not sure it' chevy express
Engine: duramax 6.6 diesel
Rated Cap: 8+2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
I almost typed 'DON'T DO THAT!!!'

I invest time on this forum precisely because you people are a)earnest in their knowledge search and b)into dialogue not drama.

I recently created a new thread here to share your 'Deal, Steal or Dud' details to help those newbies that show up and ask the same same same same questions about whether their craigslist ad is a deal. We can start to point them over to that thread for first impressions, then they can follow up with more targeted questions. Hopefully that adds some quality to the flow of posts that come in.

Yes, every group has a few folks that rile up, but Skoolie Facebook groups have a huge number of folks more interested in having others validate their lifestyle choices than talking skoolie.

Facebook groups are...mostly stream of consciousness babble and my thumb gets tired from scrolling past the junk posts.
Thank you for this post! We have relied on a skoolie Facebook group to lead the way for us since getting started! Your concern for folks that you don't know is admirable and extremely appreciated! Thank you so much for all the info! Love- my wife
Old 08-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #83
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I – Thou shalt not jump in feet-first without doing thy research.

II – Thou shalt have a realistic budget, and thou shalt not overpay.

III – Thou shalt know what thee is buying.

IV – Thou shalt not take thy seller's word as gold.

V – Thou shalt not buy sight unseen without a pre-purchase inspection.

VI – Thou shalt not buy diesels newer than 2007, nor shalt thou treat diesel engines as gasoline.

VII – Thou shalt study thine Commercial Driver's Manual, and take thy skoolie's weight, height and length seriously.

VIII – Thou shalt plan thy conversion carefully before beginning, and thou shalt seek help if necessary.

IX – Thou shalt not wontonly cut wiring, disable safety devices, or remove anything without consulting skoolie.net or professionals.

X – Thou shalt not scrap anything removed until it is proven unnecessary.
I accept these commandments. I haven't violated any as of yet, not to say that I won't, but I will do my best.
BusDaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote