Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
three point seatbelt installation

my 1975 Chevy bus doesn't have 3 point seat belts - to pass the safety it has to have the 3 point belts - installing lap belts is easy enough after installing bracing under the floor if the seats don't have a suitable attachment, but I haven't yet figured out what to do about anchoring the high point of the shoulder strap - any tips? been there done that, let me know what you did please - Al

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Only advice I have is to make sure it doesn't retract all the way and lock up on you. When I took off my first seat belt, it locked up and I've been unable to extend it to get it bolted back into place. Bought a cheap on from China, can't get it to roll out. Just my two cents.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins View Post
Only advice I have is to make sure it doesn't retract all the way and lock up on you. When I took off my first seat belt, it locked up and I've been unable to extend it to get it bolted back into place. Bought a cheap on from China, can't get it to roll out. Just my two cents.
This advice would have been fantastic to have read it last week

I did pretty much what you described. Now I am stuck. I am going to try taking it apart and manually disengage the pawls.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I chose to use take out van seats that have the 3 point system built in. I didn't want to have the shoulder strap in the way of things when I was parked. It also made using the rotation of the seat possible.
Jack
ol trunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
This advice would have been fantastic to have read it last week

I did pretty much what you described. Now I am stuck. I am going to try taking it apart and manually disengage the panels.

If you're able to get this fixed, I would LOVE to see any photos or hear any advice you have. This is something I've been really struggling with, and I'd like to drive the bus legally to stretch out its legs.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
my 1975 Chevy bus doesn't have 3 point seat belts - to pass the safety it has to have the 3 point belts - installing lap belts is easy enough after installing bracing under the floor if the seats don't have a suitable attachment, but I haven't yet figured out what to do about anchoring the high point of the shoulder strap - any tips? been there done that, let me know what you did please - Al
Seats from a 2000 era Silverado (and others) have built in 3pt belts. I would get those kinda seats from a pick n' pull junkyard. Bonus, probably have built in seat heaters!

Check the 4x4 build forums for adding seat belts. Adding roll bars makes an easy anchor point. You're probably not adding a roll bar to the bus...

If it's for the driver seat, I'd fasten the retractor to the structural pillar behind the seat. For elsewhere, I'd get seats with the belts built in. 3rd row Suburban seats and others have the shoulder belt built in. Just reinforce the floor mount for the seat.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Safety inspection is requiring equipment not installed from the factory? Seems odd, here in the states, only the belts in it at manufacture are required.

All you need is to properly weld a nut on a rib to bolt the 3rd point to.
If I had kept the Thomas, the first thing I would have done was lower the belt. It was at the perfect position to do nothing but chaff my neck. Rode the whole way home with the shoulder belt behind me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191112_132018491.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Safety inspection is requiring equipment not installed from the factory? Seems odd, here in the states, only the belts in it at manufacture are required.

All you need is to properly weld a nut on a rib to bolt the 3rd point to.
If I had kept the Thomas, the first thing I would have done was lower the belt. It was at the perfect position to do nothing but chaff my neck. Rode the whole way home with the shoulder belt behind me.
"Safety inspection is requiring equipment not installed from the factory? Seems odd, here in the states, only the belts in it at manufacture are required." Yup, what you said.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
"Safety inspection is requiring equipment not installed from the factory? Seems odd, here in the states, only the belts in it at manufacture are required." Yup, what you said.
because it's a 'conversion' it's not considered factory, I'm guessing - I was going by the rules as stated, I can only guess why they are the way they are - I;'ve been in two accidents that could ( should? ) have taken my life - the first one was before they days of collapsible steering wheels and I was able to dive under the passenger's side of the dash just as the steering wheel buried itself into the seat back - barely touched my ribs as I dove out of the way, left a small bruise is all - the 50 Merc was a right off - the 2nd accident was a drunk driver that came across the road at me - the further to the right I moved, the further he moved over - my driver's side wheels were a measured 13 feet into a road side parking lot when the drunk sheered off most of the left side of the PU I was driving - again, I dove under the dash at the last possible second - had I been wearing my lap belt, I would have gone with the side of the pickup, so I'm not a big believer in how much safer seat belts are - it's the law though and expensive to ignore it -- I have 3 old vehicles with seat belts and I'll see if I can do something with them as has been described here - thanks for all the tips
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
but I haven't yet figured out what to do about anchoring the high point of the shoulder strap - any tips? been there done that, let me know what you did please - Al
I got a used rear captain's chair from the local LQK, but it didn't have the integrated shoulder belt. I got a 12" seat belt extension to bolt to the bottom rear of the seat frame, then used a piece of 1/8" flat stock to span between that and the end of my shoulder belt (all joins bolted). I anchored it under the fold-down handle by cutting two small slits for the handle screws to pass through. This of course eliminates the fold-down option, but I don't really need that anyway.

(...pic was taken before the extension arrived, but gives you the idea....).
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #11
Bus Geek

My mount point on the rib is not a typical rib. It is thicker and has 4 x 3/8" threaded inserts.

The belt bracket is 3/16" plate bolted to the heavy rib with grade 8 bolts.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:12 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 2001
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
You have a pic of that setup? Never I spoke too soon
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins View Post
If you're able to get this fixed, I would LOVE to see any photos or hear any advice you have. This is something I've been really struggling with, and I'd like to drive the bus legally to stretch out its legs.
Advice?

I can tell you that if you follow my example.......

New seatbelt can be had on Amazon for $35 after you destroy the original.

When it gets here I'll post pics of the install.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Advice?

I can tell you that if you follow my example.......

New seatbelt can be had on Amazon for $35 after you destroy the original.

When it gets here I'll post pics of the install.
Can you send me the link to the item on Amazon?