Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #1

Year: 1990
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: chevy 6.0L
Rated Cap: 53
Tinting Legal?(new guy)

So first off for me being the new guy I must say this website has played an huge part in guidance and inspiration to my project!!!For im only seventeen and my bus is older than me!!!(born in 1992 and the bus is a '90) I have chosen this for my senior project and the school year is about over! I have the bus about 80% done and now all thats left is the details!
So enough with the small talk!
I was wondering if in Nebraska there is any restrictions on how dark i can tint my windows?I have a roll of 2.5% laying around and thought maybe the cops would give me a bad time if i had all my side windows tinted that dark? oh and one other quick question for my back lights i have two red then one white on each side...do i have to change one of the reds to amber if i make the outside red light a turn signal? THANKS!!

malibuhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Tinting Legal?(new guy)

As for the tint, I don't know about Nebraska, but most states with tint restrictions do not apply to windows behind the driver. Only the windshield, and right and left front are an issue.

For the taillights, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires (at least) 2 amber turn signals in the front, and 2 amber or red turn signals in the rear, each 15 to 83 inches above the road. You should be fine on this (look at how many cars do not have amber).
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #3

Year: 1990
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: chevy 6.0L
Rated Cap: 53

alright thanks!...i just seen many skoolies with amber ones so i didnt know if there was any reason behind it
malibuhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

I took off my amber 'arrow' covers and put the red ones from the 'blinkies' on. Then I reattached a wire at the steering column and now I get brake lights as well as signal lights at the outer lights.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E

Any Pix?
scosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Here's how I set up my rear lights....
Attached Thumbnails
rear-lights.jpg  
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Very Cool.
I like having the taillights on the outermost position. I see school buses in service after dark, with the middle lights lit over the taillights in the license plate spaces, and it does not give a real indication of the true width of the bus.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote