Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Title - Didn't get it notarized (NC)

Hey let's start here : I'M AN IDIOT ok thanks now that we got that out of the way

Bought the bus last March. Have failed to deal with the title. Am looking for help. Located in North Carolina.

Sellers signed the title and told me to get it notarized. I realized after that we should have both been present for a notary. I thought I needed to get it mostly RV-converted before signing transferring the title so I could do the Vermont thing. Whoops it's almost been a year haha ok.

Things I have : a bill of sale/receipt, the old title, the bus.

Things I do not have : a CDL, a desire to pay for bus insurance, or enough of a brain to figure out whether I need to register/inspect/property tax it.

How fucked am I and how do I unfuck this?

elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird Micro Bird
Engine: GMC 3500
Did you buy the vehicle in NC? If so, you should try to meet with the seller and get the title notarized together. If you bought it in another state you'll need to get a new title and depending on the laws in the state you bought it in, a notary isn't necessary. I'm located in NC as well but bought my bus in Georgia. All I needed to get the bus registered as an RV was the old title, bill of sale, an ID and a little over $100. At the license plate DMV they had me fill out a document to apply for a new title which got to me in a few weeks.

From my understanding talking to the state, because we're not hauling students or hazardous materials a CDL is NOT required in North Carolina.

When dealing with insurance, let them know that you are planning to use it as a recreational vehicle. Tell them you're planning on converting it and using it as a part-time travel situation. As long as you're not planning on running a boutique or business out of it you should be fine. I pay $112 a month for insurance.

What's the Vermont thing you're referring to?
graceashlynn.arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceashlynn.arts View Post
Did you buy the vehicle in NC? If so, you should try to meet with the seller and get the title notarized together. If you bought it in another state you'll need to get a new title and depending on the laws in the state you bought it in, a notary isn't necessary. I'm located in NC as well but bought my bus in Georgia. All I needed to get the bus registered as an RV was the old title, bill of sale, an ID and a little over $100. At the license plate DMV they had me fill out a document to apply for a new title which got to me in a few weeks.

From my understanding talking to the state, because we're not hauling students or hazardous materials a CDL is NOT required in North Carolina.

When dealing with insurance, let them know that you are planning to use it as a recreational vehicle. Tell them you're planning on converting it and using it as a part-time travel situation. As long as you're not planning on running a boutique or business out of it you should be fine. I pay $112 a month for insurance.

It really surprises me how many say they just walked in, told what their plans were and they just changed the designation on the title to something it's not. What happens when you go to insure your "RV" and the insurance says it isn't an RV because it doesn't have 4 of the 6 requirements.
Vermont will issue a title and registration to any vehicle, to anyone, regardless if you are a resident or not. Once you have title and registration from Vermont, you can transfer that to your own state. I have a liability policy through Progressive and pay $171 a year.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
That's the Vermont thing - changing the title to an RV by registering it in Vermont through the mail, then passing the registration back to NC with the VIN now recognized as an RV. There are threads here about it...

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ion-15292.html

Basically I just forgot I owed the state some money after buying it and I guess I need to pay it back now I don't know jeez.
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird Micro Bird
Engine: GMC 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It really surprises me how many say they just walked in, told what their plans were and they just changed the designation on the title to something it's not. What happens when you go to insure your "RV" and the insurance says it isn't an RV because it doesn't have 4 of the 6 requirements.
Vermont will issue a title and registration to any vehicle, to anyone, regardless if you are a resident or not. Once you have title and registration from Vermont, you can transfer that to your own state. I have a liability policy through Progressive and pay $171 a year.
I talked to my insurance before even purchasing the vehicle, and set up a quote. I needed to make sure it was insurable through my company and that I could afford it before purchasing
graceashlynn.arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I don't know how things work in other states. I only have experience in WA, OR, CA, NV & AZ.

In the states where I have registered and insured buses, my insurance company doesn't care what it says on the title. Bus or RV.

My insurance company has its own standards for what they will insure as an RV. Not only a checklist of completed amenities. They want to see a certain level of quality.

All three of my buses have been titled as RV'S immediately and insured "commercial for personal use" until I completed conversion. When changing my first bus to RV insurance I had to send lots of pictures. Including pics of electral and propane installation.

Regarding your probem, if you can get in touch with the seller that would probably be the simplest.

I think that all you need for VT is a bill of sale if the bus is over 15 years old.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceashlynn.arts View Post

Which License Plate Agency did you go to? It sounds like I should use that one, haha. I like easy.
TJHooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot_peas View Post
That's the Vermont thing - changing the title to an RV by registering it in Vermont through the mail, then passing the registration back to NC with the VIN now recognized as an RV. There are threads here about it...

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ion-15292.html

Basically I just forgot I owed the state some money after buying it and I guess I need to pay it back now I don't know jeez.
Assuming it's the bus in your profile (the '95) just make a copy of the title, the original BOS, and fill out the VT forms as a MH(motor home) or box truck (cause that's all a bus is w/out seats...) and be on your way.

You'll get to pay local taxes when you transfer the VT title/registration to your locale -- but you can skip out on paying someone else's back taxes -- I sure would... Come to think of it I am while waiting on my VT rego!
banman is offline   Reply With Quote