Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
turbo on a GMC 366

here is a question for cadillackid, or anyone that might have experience - putting a turbo on a GMC 366 - is it worth the trouble? - possibly damaging to the 366? - any idea what the HP boost would be?

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive never put one on a 366 specifically.. but im thinking that the intake is not going to have big enough runners to get big gains on that motor.. and the cam profile isnt condusive to spooling up a turbo..

it sounds like fun though just because.... well because building what others say shouldnt be done has in the past netted some great gains...

how much boost are you looking to push through it? im thinking 6-8 PSI wouldnt hurt anything and might be obtainable with the lower RPMs that cam profile suggests for that engine..

it **could** be cammed.. and the valve springs are standard big block.. the piushrods are different for a tall deck than a standard deck..

the 366 is a big block chevy.. but its never going to rev super high even with a bigger cam..

I womnt go as far as to call it a boat anchor because i actually Love the engine.. these engines obtained longevity that previously only diesels could get.. plenty of them ran for 300k plus before an overhaul...

im guessing like all performance builds, that to make it go faster it will shorten its life..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive never put one on a 366 specifically.. but im thinking that the intake is not going to have big enough runners to get big gains on that motor.. and the cam profile isnt condusive to spooling up a turbo..

it sounds like fun though just because.... well because building what others say shouldnt be done has in the past netted some great gains...

how much boost are you looking to push through it? im thinking 6-8 PSI wouldnt hurt anything and might be obtainable with the lower RPMs that cam profile suggests for that engine..

it **could** be cammed.. and the valve springs are standard big block.. the piushrods are different for a tall deck than a standard deck..

the 366 is a big block chevy.. but its never going to rev super high even with a bigger cam..

I womnt go as far as to call it a boat anchor because i actually Love the engine.. these engines obtained longevity that previously only diesels could get.. plenty of them ran for 300k plus before an overhaul...

im guessing like all performance builds, that to make it go faster it will shorten its life..
-Christopher
I did some research on that motor and was pleased with what I read about them - like others have quoted I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but if a simple, almost bolt on, like a turbo would give it a little extra oomph on the hills, that would be great
Old 04-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
I strongly suspect you'd get better performance out of a newer LS motor with a 6 speed transmission.

Even with a 4 speed, the turbod LS moves this along pretty well

There is a build playlist here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7aNeNpQhAJoEVM
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
366 low revvin motor

I would think belt drive supercharger would offer a pretty good boost,,,, maybe like a paxton, or 4/71 6/71 style blowers.....use efi throttle body kind of system and use a blow through? with out a piston change, probably good idea to keep boost low 6psi? I think 8 might be too much,.....4 I think would be safe

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the old tonawanda motors i thought had forged bottom ends.. they are 9.5:1 so youll likely have to run fancier gas to boost it.. small-ish turbo for quicker spool-up..

a 6-71 would be sweet on there.. and you can get intake spacers to account for the tall deck to install standard BBC goodies on top...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
the old tonawanda motors i thought had forged bottom ends.. they are 9.5:1 so youll likely have to run fancier gas to boost it.. small-ish turbo for quicker spool-up..

a 6-71 would be sweet on there.. and you can get intake spacers to account for the tall deck to install standard BBC goodies on top...
I was hoping at first to find a bus with a 454 in it, but it seems the 366 would do a better job - when/if I get a bus with a 366, I'll be back to pick your brains
Old 04-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I did pick up a vehicle with a 454 in it this week - a 93 GMC Suburban - with a modified 454, 30 thou bore, etc - paint and body looks like it was garaged most of it's life - needs a few repairs here and there, but I'll have it on the road after passing the safety for less than a grand - figure I'll have some fun with it for a month, leave some black marks, then market it - for the most part, body and motor are in better shape than any I've seen - funds from it's sale will go towards the bus I find
Old 04-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
This would be a labor of love. Unless yr building a junkyard turbo ls engine, pretty much all effective positive pressure engines are purpose built. In my opinion the amount of money/time/engineering it would take to get that setup to work would be better spent on an turbo diesel engine swap or just buying a bus with a better engine. Is it possible?..anything is possible. Will it work?..sure! Will it last?..without being purpose built, probly not. Also because of the power band of a gas engine, your bus would be screaming up hills like andrag car as gas engines make there power at a much higher rpm than a diesel. Overall take...get a Cummins 5.9 and swap it in. Probly a cheaper option and proven to work.
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote