Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2023, 12:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Using travel trailer electrical system

Is it possible to just use our travel trailers electrical system. Would it be to hard to transfer it? It's 30 amp anyone have step by step guide on how to do this?

Imnewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Sure.

You could use bits and pieces borrowed over from a camper. People have used camper components in skoolie builds all the time. I considered doing such a thing in mine, but I couldn't find a camper cheap enough to get what I want off of it at a reasonable price.

I'm not aware of any step by step guides on this though. If you're going to attempt you should be mechanically inclined and have a good fundamental idea of what you're messing with. But you should be that way if you're wiring in a skoolie to begin with, or really wiring anything up in general. Electricity can kill, it can also cause fires and explosions if done improperly.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:32 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Vice Versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnewhere View Post
Is it possible to just use our travel trailers electrical system. Would it be to hard to transfer it? It's 30 amp anyone have step by step guide on how to do this?
(I may have misinterpreted your question)

The RV panel is likely sized for the camper. You may be able to add 10-20% to the load, lights &/or one small appliance. Limited.

If you are building new, in the bus, it may be practical to size the new panel to include one 30A RV circuit. Power the RV through a larger bus panel.

Installing a distro panel on the bus is necessary, either way. The only change, I suggest, is that the bus's panel size be increased. 60A, for example.

Everything you currently plan for the bus branch circuits, remain unchanged, adding only one dedicated circuit (1P30A) to the build plans, to accommodate the RV.

A 2Pole panel may ease the task of splitting the loads . Either separating the bus from RV OR equally throttling both, depending on the utilities available & builder's choice.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote