Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 78
Warmtoo 12v Diesel heater installation

Has anyone ever installed a Warmtoo (Chinese) 12v Diesel heater onto their bus?
Did you take pictures, or better yet, videos?
I’m sure that I can do it, but I’m a little freaked out over putting more holes in my bus. (You should have seen me when I started drilling holes into my roof to secure my solar panels lol 😂)

BriteLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriteLeaf View Post
Has anyone ever installed a Warmtoo (Chinese) 12v Diesel heater onto their bus?
Did you take pictures, or better yet, videos?
I’m sure that I can do it, but I’m a little freaked out over putting more holes in my bus. (You should have seen me when I started drilling holes into my roof to secure my solar panels lol ��)
I recently bought two Warmtoo 8K heaters - one will be for the bedroom and the other for the front, and I'll start installing the rear one soon. Because it's 25 feet or more from the bus's fuel tank, the little metering pump probably won't suck fuel that far to the heater, so I also bought a pair of Amarine gear pumps to push fuel from the bus's tank to both heaters' plastic 10-liter day tanks. Getting the rear heater's exhaust safely out of the bus without introducing excessive backpressure and without having an ugly eyesore of an exhaust pipe was another challenge. I bought a 1.5" polished stainless deckfill for boats, and that will attach to the outside wall with a length of 1.25" stainless pipe inside it as the actual exhaust pipe; the heater's corrugated exhaust flexpipe will then connect to the stainless pipe to make a neat installation, and the marine deckfill is the same as what I used for my two water tanks' gravity fill inlets. No cheap plastic RV crap for me! This will be a fun project, one of the few I can do while my usual local suppliers are closed during this pandemic.

I've also just ordered a Pioneer 12K minisplit A/C with heatpump, and my plan is to use that for heat whenever my solar panels are producing enough power in winter to run it, so maybe the diesel air heaters won't get much use; however, it's always good to have two ways to stay warm, so if one craps out then you're not totally SOL.

There's no need to freak out about making holes in the roof. I drilled 76 holes in my roof for my solar panels and walkway, and they're sealed well so they won't ever leak or cause problems.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 78
I guess you missed this part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I recently bought two Warmtoo 8K heaters - one will be for the bedroom and the other for the front, and I'll start installing the rear one soon. Because it's 25 feet or more from the bus's fuel tank, the little metering pump probably won't suck fuel that far to the heater, so I also bought a pair of Amarine gear pumps to push fuel from the bus's tank to both heaters' plastic 10-liter day tanks. Getting the rear heater's exhaust safely out of the bus without introducing excessive backpressure and without having an ugly eyesore of an exhaust pipe was another challenge. I bought a 1.5" polished stainless deckfill for boats, and that will attach to the outside wall with a length of 1.25" stainless pipe inside it as the actual exhaust pipe; the heater's corrugated exhaust flexpipe will then connect to the stainless pipe to make a neat installation, and the marine deckfill is the same as what I used for my two water tanks' gravity fill inlets. No cheap plastic RV crap for me! This will be a fun project, one of the few I can do while my usual local suppliers are closed during this pandemic.

I've also just ordered a Pioneer 12K minisplit A/C with heatpump, and my plan is to use that for heat whenever my solar panels are producing enough power in winter to run it, so maybe the diesel air heaters won't get much use; however, it's always good to have two ways to stay warm, so if one craps out then you're not totally SOL.

There's no need to freak out about making holes in the roof. I drilled 76 holes in my roof for my solar panels and walkway, and they're sealed well so they won't ever leak or cause problems.

John
I was specifically asking about pictures or video, but thanks.
I wound up drilling 16 holes in my roof for my solar as well. It’s been two years without any leaks.
BriteLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I don't have any pictures They are excellent. My hired man installed one inmy bus and he and wife loved it.

Go for it.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Do a youtube search for John McK 47 This gent has about 20 videos on the Chinese Heaters tips tricks rv installations disassembly repair Everything.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese diesel heater