Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I'm building a wet bath on a 30x60 shower pan. The shower drain is centered on one of the 30 inch sides; the toilet is in a corner at the opposite end of the pan. The toilet (with the lid closed) will be a nice place to sit while bathing the little kids who still need help. Hopefully we can mitigate the wet floor vs dirty shoes problem with a kitchen anti-fatigue floor mat. Not sure what to call the style exactly.. honeycomb, maybe? It's an open-cell design so that shower water can fall through the open holes and drain away below the mat. Hopefully at least the top walking surface of the mat will dry quickly.

We're doing the wet bath because it's more important to us to have the finite floor space spent in other ways. Family of 7 needs a lot of space for beds, storage, dining, seating, etc. Eliminating the 30 inch square a toilet closet would have required helps.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
I get the space requirements are limited. But when you do a 30 x 60 pan that's as much space as a bathroom and toilet use any how in a RV. 30 or 36 inches square is very standard. Unless it lays out in a design to eliminate a door that would give access to more space but if the door is on the hall way I'm not seeing why any one would put the toilet in the shower.

Like I said my bathroom on boat is this way. Its a very nice all in one fiberglass encloser. But the water never seems to dry up and the shower always seems to be filthy on the floor and water is tracked from one end to the other on board. seven people just sounds like it would be two or three times worse. Which bothers me because it has tile floors and they get slippery but that's not for every one. Carpets would just be messy getting water streak across them.
I dislike it so much I am actually remodeling the boat bath room to separate them at the same time there positions wont move. The toilet is also in the way when showering. I'm not sure if you mean you have it this way and it works better for the kids or if you want it this way hoping it helps with the kids. I just cant imagine how having it in the shower trying to bath a small monster how it being in the way makes it better.
I just don't understand the idea i guess. in actual working with it I just think its the worst thing ever and shortening up the shower pan by half to get the toilet next to it seems to easy. Cleaning the shower every day from shoes in it? wondering if that's pee or water being tracked through the RV? And the toilet seat is always wet some how.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Well, it's true that many RVs do fit separate toilet and shower spaces into a footprint about the same as my 30x60. That's part of why I'm building a skoolie: I don't like the cramped quarters of airplane lavatories, and I find those just-big-enough mini RV facilities to be not much better. Having both functions share the space means there's plenty of space for standing and moving while pulling up the pants after using the toilet, space for letting the elbows stick all the way out sideways while shampooing the head, etc. We hesitated for quite a while because of concern about wet floors, keeping the toilet paper and clothes/towel dry, etc. Ultimately we decided we could find solutions or at least work-arounds for those problems, and the appeal of the feeling of roominess while using the space won out. Naturally other people might value the space vs water mess differently and that's okay. That's why we're all here building skoolies: so we can have it according to our own "best."
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
wondering if that's pee or water being tracked through the RV?
that one gave me a chuckle.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #25

Does anyone have pics of their combo with a composter inside? Right now my composter sits on a platform above the wheel well. I’m considering making it bigger to incorporate a shower, might have to take 12” off the hallway to do it because the toilet will need to turn 90’. Looking for pics and general “wishes I had done ___ instead”
mjmuckenthaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:57 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
The first thought that comes to mind is Jazty's Armageddon bus
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/ar...st-8870-5.html
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
mine is almost perfect

huge space saver too

Old 11-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 65 pax
My son ended up framing it out, used PVC liner, then installed the stone floor. Lined the walls with green board and the toilet floor and tiled them. I bought a diverter from the UK for $30 and have a HD bucket. I ended up with a six gallon standard electric hot water heater. The shower is approx 28”x28”. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

p.s. like Dredman... I bought lots of different things to do the bathroom in, some of them with Dredman I just ended up not happy with so many of them. I wanted more room, I didn't want to feel blocked in when using the toilet, I wanted room to turn around in the shower and I was limited on space because I insisted on my big king-size bed! But, we made it work. And, in fact, if you look closely, you'll see tile dust on the tiles below the toilet floor, why? Because we had a plywood floor with a pretty awesome rubber matting that I paid a fortune for. He was in town for one day this past week and I had him tile the entire toilet area floor... he's a keeper, that kid of mine!
Old 02-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #30

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 V-8
WanderWoman, your shower looks amazing! How has the tile job held up since you installed? I'm a little worried about some of the unimproved roads we go down shaking tiles right off the walls if I tried it.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
That is a nice Wanderwoman bathroom job.
I would think if the tile setter has a lot of experience they could set them so they don’t ever fall off. I wouldn’t have a clue how to do it the proper masonry way. I would use marine epoxy for everything lol as that stuff is amazing.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
What about a toilet in a bathtub or under the driver seat....kidding lol

I’m going to start a extra tall persons thread unless there is a current one already. I’d rather have a outdoor shower on the outside of my bus and sponge bath when it’s too cold as I’m just too cramped in any of those showers ive seen in the pictures.
One idea I wondered about was a bathtub inside of a bench seat. Bathtubs take a lot of water obviously so it probably isn’t practical. But if its seldom used at least it could be used as storage.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Tile doesn't need to be set in mortar. There are many construction adhesives that work well on tile in other than floor applications. I did the complete fireplace surround in my home with liquid nails. 16 years and they are still there. If you're worried about the flexing of the bus breaking the grout use an elastic grout.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #34

This IS Nice!!
MrsAThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rex View Post
WanderWoman, your shower looks amazing! How has the tile job held up since you installed? I'm a little worried about some of the unimproved roads we go down shaking tiles right off the walls if I tried it.

We used silicone based grout so it gives. Not a single crack in 20K miles of travel.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
We used silicone based grout so it gives. Not a single crack in 20K miles of travel.
20k miles is a good bit. What's your maintenance log looking like?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
20k miles is a good bit. What's your maintenance log looking like?

Ready for its 4th oil change and will replace the fuel filter at the same time. We’ll do that before hitting the road June 1.

Sandi
Old 04-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
Ready for its 4th oil change and will replace the fuel filter at the same time. We’ll do that before hitting the road June 1.

Sandi
Your u-joints and kingpins been greased?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote