Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatherder View Post
NO! You've got 8hr pot life after you mix in the catalyst. And I think that varies with temperature.
Thanks that's good to know.... I will need 2-3 gallons of paint (might get by with 2 since I'm just doing the bottom half in the blue, based on 400 sf per gallon coverage estimate from Home Depot website) and was just gonna mix up the whole batch at one shot to avoid color differences.... I guess I could mix all the paint together to even out the color, then just add 3 oz acetone and 2 oz hardener per quart as needed into the roller tray.

I hadn't considered doing the wheels to match.... if there's any paint left maybe I'll do that as well.

I'll also be painting the stop sign over (leaving it on because I don't want extra holes to patch.) I wonder if I could find blue light covers to replace the reds on the sign.... just to be clear they aren't going to be used, just to avoid the clash of red on blue.

As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on my new bus im going to try getting away with just making all the lenses orange or clear and see if i get bothered.. im gonna take the stop sign off and use rubber Plugs most likely to plug the holes. little silicon and theyll look like an option that was never installed
-Christopjer
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: 3500 vandura
Engine: 6.5L GMC
Rated Cap: 16
I planned on mixing my two gallons of white and whatever amounts of blue and green to get aqua all in a 5 gallon bucket. Then I will pour out gallon, half gallon, whatever it is a need for the day and add the acetone and hardener accordingly to each batch. That way my paint color stays consistent. The hardener is 1 can per gallon and has a shelf life of 8 hours. So only mix what you might need at the time and you won't waste your paint or have the catalyst go bad. The acetone I will mix depending on how thick the paint seems and how it rolls. Thin enough to smooth out but not so thin it runs. Several thin coats are better than a thick one and you have less chance of the orange peel effect with thinner paint. I used to paint wooden boats and that was my approach ( minus the hardener). The bus is a first for me. Rustoleum is also a first.
jennynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: 3500 vandura
Engine: 6.5L GMC
Rated Cap: 16
The stop sign. Well, my idea was to take out the screws and wiring, then the holes are to be filled with screws that have a rubber gasket that are designed for corrugated roofing. The threads will get a bit of caulk before they go in. This seems like a simple approach with very little work. I'm getting smarter as I go. SO much work. So much still to do. My list keeps growing the deeper I get into this.
jennynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Liberace was THE MAN!
And this would be his bus

Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
BTW...My bad! Floetrol is indeed for latex paint. Penetrol is the variety for oil based. Sorry 'bout that. Both are "flow" control products.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #27
Bus Geek

what does it do? help the paint to not run?
-Christopher
Old 10-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #28
Bus Geek

I wish! No, but it does improve the flow. Goes on smoother and with less drag when using a brush or roller. Also helps when spraying to aid adhesion and helps prevent corrosion. Good stuff. I've used it for decades.

Hingst's Sign Post: Penetrol Paint Conditioner
Old 10-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
So do you use the Penetrol in addition to the acetone, or in place of it?
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Penetrol is strictly a conditioner. Whatever thinner you use, go by the ratios recommended by the paint maker.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

How will these paint suggestions hold up in Arizona? The unrelenting sun and searing heat kills all automotive paint here. Every car more than a few years old has peeling clearcoat and oxidized paint. Horizontal surfaces are affected much more than vertical surfaces. I've read that white paint is the most resistant to UV, so I will probably paint my entire bus white except maybe the bumpers and the side impact strips. But I'm still wondering what type of paint is best to resist the UV.
Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Acetone and Mineral Spirits are 1/2 the cost of Lowes at WaLMART.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66
So we are wanting to use a white Rustoleum in a sprayer. Is that feasible, and which additives/ratios do we need? Do you guys remove all the fixtures (mirrors and such) before painting?
rjnye79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
This is the ratio that was given a few posts back:

So, by my math, that would be 12 oz of acetone and 8 oz of hardener (the whole can, if you use what was pictured) per gallon of paint.
How much would this differ if we were wanting to spray?
Old 11-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazolba View Post
How will these paint suggestions hold up in Arizona? The unrelenting sun and searing heat kills all automotive paint here. Every car more than a few years old has peeling clearcoat and oxidized paint. Horizontal surfaces are affected much more than vertical surfaces. I've read that white paint is the most resistant to UV, so I will probably paint my entire bus white except maybe the bumpers and the side impact strips. But I'm still wondering what type of paint is best to resist the UV.
for arizona Id paint the roof with Bus-Kote or something similar.. its made for UV as well as has heat reflective properties too...

ive been told in any crazy sun state that lighter colors are better off for resisting UV than darker colors.. part of it may also be the temperature the paint reaches when its a darker color... paint is like anything else only so hot it can get before it begins to detiorate.. the darker colors get physically hotter in the sun.. when the ambient temperature is already 120 degrees that makes for one hot surface..

-Christopher
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnye79 View Post
How much would this differ if we were wanting to spray?
Just follow the instructions on the can.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #37
Skoolie

Thanks EastCoastCB. Can anyone tell me a comparable product from a brand other than Majic? That one seems hard to find in my area.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Thanks EastCoastCB. Can anyone tell me a comparable product from a brand other than Majic? That one seems hard to find in my area.
https://www.amazon.com/Valspar-4625-.../dp/B000LNY1MY

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #39
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatherder View Post
This

and this

and last (but not least) this:

Got me this:

(Hi Mom!)

I rolled the top (almond) and sprayed the green. I mixed green and silver and black to get this metallic green color. You can't roll metallic. If you want to roll it, I'd thin the paint about 10% w/ Acetone, and mix the hardener about 15:1. And use a 1/4" knap roller.

Again, you can't roll metallic. It will look swirly and blotchy and like absolute sh!t. But you can roll solid colors with a short knap roller and have it come out pretty nice, especially on vertical surfaces.
Nice work! How many coats is that?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
Quote:
Nice work! How many coats is that?
Coats? I dunno. I painted it twice; first time it came out a fruity green that would get me noticed in the Pride parade. Used about 3 qts then. A day later I mixed a new (darker) batch of 6 qts and used about 5 of that...so it's got about 2 gallons of paint on it. I went around the bus until my arm wouldn't hold the spray gun up.
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote