Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 01:54 AM   #1

What should I start with in my conversion?

I'm honestly a major newby and don't have hardly any experience in crafting/construction, working under the assumption that I already have a bus, what should my first step be? (Flooring, plumbing, electricity, etc,)

Artrias98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Take out the seats.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
1st decide what your doing with the bus, live in or weekender. 2nd find the right bus. 3rd buy and insure the bus. 4th have a place to work on the bus. 5th have the funds to build out your bus. 6th sell bus when you loose interest.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

Ok, after removing the seats, what actual physical work should I move on to with the bus. Also, your faith in me is astounding, truly.
Artrias98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Tear out the interior walls and ceiling panels, then replace all the crappy fiberglass with real insulation, whether or not you're planning on long or short term living in it. Follow on with repainting it and removing the warning and caution lights up top. Depending on where you're planning on traveling to (or live) some states have problems with privately owned school buses still school bus yellow with functional warning and caution lights

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artrias98 View Post
Ok, after removing the seats, what actual physical work should I move on to with the bus. Also, your faith in me is astounding, truly.
After the seats are out its sorta "your world", man. You asked what was the NEXT step.
After that-
I'd take out ALL the interior metal paneling except the chair rails, insulate, panel it back in with wood or something, and commence to making it livable.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #7
Skoolie

plans...what is your plan for the bus?
You need this before you even go bus shopping as it can affect the type/size of bus you'll want.
will that work? In space, function, cost, skills and time frame?

I'm still in the planning stages..would love to full time..but i don't retire for a decade plus..so i'm thinking a shorter full size bus to replace a cargo trailer or 2 as well as a tow vehicle for my 28' camper.

Long term plan to strip the camper for the components for the bus buildout..it has all the plumbing, appliances, wiring, awning, doors, windows, etc I'll need.

For me air brakes and diesels and turbos are new. Camping is old hat. I plan to go to RV shows and get ideas for floorplans, storage, etc.
No need to reinvent the wheel - just copy what works, what's proven to work.

You need a plan - so you cna wire/plumb before insulation before floors and walls..after the floor is in is the wrong time to decide where the gray tank is going and now you have to cut up the new floor.

You can go simple - hang a hammock, camp stove, etc.
You can go middle of the road, you can go nuts too.

If you're full timing then storage, entertainment and laundry become things to consider more than if it's a weekend toy sorta thing.

I like art deco..I like trains..I like salil boats..I like versatility..I can weld...I'm pretty sur e I don't want it to look like a school bus when I"m done...these things go into my brain and get stirred..so art deco, sail boat or 1950's sleeping car design..what will come out?

I can hardly wait to find out!
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Welcome to the forum, Artrias!

But... given that you have so little experience in fabrication and such....
Are you sure this is a project you ought to undertake?

And... for what purpose do you need a bus?

Reason I say this is that... there are soooooo many given-up-on school buses sitting around the country.

I'm close to as well qualified to convert a bus as any amateur can be, and it is still quite a challenge for me.

But let's say you are willing and able to learn as you go, without bogging down.
You would want to have a very clear picture of what the bus is to be used for.
If, on the other hand, you merely have fallen in love with the "coolness" of a converted school bus... I would beg you -- in all kindness -- to think twice.

That covered....
I'm looking forward to learning the purpose of your bus.

In my case (as an example), a small group of us needed a vehicle to transport our racing vehicles to half-dozen races up and down the west coast each summer, and to camp in while at the races, plus the Burning Man event. And in ten years we have driven Millicent 60,000 miles to these events.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
Skoolie

I would agree with what the others have said, you need to know what you plan to do with the bus first. Then, find the kind/style of bus you want and get one. Strip it out and look at the open space. What do you want in it? There are so many variables. Total off grid or RV park queen or a mix of both. Sleeping for 1-2 or 10? Weekend or full time? Many more questions to answer.
Once you have a game plan, lay out the ideas on paper, then with tape on the open floor. Walk around, feel it out. Maybe even put in a air mattress and some cardboard boxes to simulate your layout and do a practice weekend.
Once you are happy with your layout, you have a plan, you have a budget(that will get blown), start buying the stuff to convert it. Layout your electrical and plumbing, mark it on the floor and walls.
Dig into this forum, watch YouTube, read books, dream. Research, research, research.
Then, take it slow, one bit at a time. Everything is easy if you just look at the one task in front of you. If you try to think out everything all at once, you will be overwhelmed and go crazy. Be flexible, be willing to make a mistake, understand you will probably want to do some things over again down the road because you see a better way or a different need.
There is no "Right Way". Like floors, some do floors last, I did my floors first. Some insulate like crazy, others do not. Pick a topic and there is a thread here where it is argued what is best, many times with no clear answer.
Most of all, have fun with it. Its best if you have no real deadline, but plan for about 1-2 years depending on the complexity of your build. Could be way more or even less.

So, tell us what you want out of your bus conversion and how you plan to use it. Oh, and what is your unrealistic budget?
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Id just sit there and get high looking at it. Your resume says to me this might not be your project. But I don't want project my feelings on to U. A good read is the Good news bus. Check out there build start to finish on there web site. Kids are optional.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #11

You know, I put together that removing the seats, painting and pulling the fiberglass out would all be first after researching a few hours. I'm pretty handy myself but still have yet to find any details on what tools were used beyond a grinder for bolts on the ceiling. I am looking to go full-time in a bus, building out hopefully this next spring. If anyone has some handy links to threads or youtube channels, those resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
PopGolbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopGolbal View Post
You know, I put together that removing the seats, painting and pulling the fiberglass out would all be first after researching a few hours. I'm pretty handy myself but still have yet to find any details on what tools were used beyond a grinder for bolts on the ceiling. I am looking to go full-time in a bus, building out hopefully this next spring. If anyone has some handy links to threads or youtube channels, those resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If you wanna see demo and rivet removal theres a good bit of that in my build thread.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #13
Skoolie

several ways to remove a rivet..what works for you, what tools you have, etc.

grinder - grind off the head.
drill - drill the center out.
chisel - air is easiest, remove the head.
Maybe a torch if you're really good with one. Much higher risk of fire though.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
When grinding and welding -- inside or outside -- be certain that no sparks can hit any windows. Hot steel particles will melt the glass and embed itself in the window. Millicent has sections of glass that are essentially sandpaper now.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
Skoolie

frosted glass and etched glass is a nice upgrade, and you got it for free!

Yeah, shields are a good idea. Maybe big magnets and some fireproof/resistent cloth..sparks won't bounce off the cloth (wet fabric?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
When grinding and welding -- inside or outside -- be certain that no sparks can hit any windows. Hot steel particles will melt the glass and embed itself in the window. Millicent has sections of glass that are essentially sandpaper now.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I absolutely agree with Elliot...protect your glass when doing any grinding, cutting or welding. New windshields and windows ain't cheap. A basic welding blanket and a few strong magnets come in very handy for preventing such damage or even fires.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_7kt0ui4urh_e
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first bus, new to this, planning