Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
What to use for heat & sound insulation

I have a front engine flatnose 37' International with the big engine cover right next to the driver. Of course it has the plastic cover over it, for which I bought a new gasket (to help seal some of the heat off). But it is hot and loud right there by the driver. I plan to build a wooden cover over the plastic cover and would like do something to make it cooler and quieter. I've read the reviews for Kilmat and Thermo-Tec but don't think either of them are exactly what I'm looking for. The Kilmat seems to be mainly for sound deafening and doesn't stick well with high heat. The Thermo-Tec seems to work for both heat and sound, but also doesn't stick well if it gets too hot. I read one review where someone's vehicle caught fire after the Therm-Tec's adhesive melted. What product would work for noise reduction and heat, under and over that plastic engine cover and also over the wheel wells? Also where else might I need it? The bus will have 1" insulation in the floor and ceiling and 2" insulation in the walls.

Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Try this: https://lizardskin.com/
mcduffieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

EHP Rollboard or, at less than half the price, the CeraTex product from Minseal.com in Tucson. It's exactly designed for engine compartment insulation. https://minseal.com/ceramic-fiber-paper/

It will do a lot for both heat and noise. The only challenge is attaching it in a curved space like a doghouse. It's super easy to use in lining a rectangular generator bay, but on a firewall or doghouse it takes some cutting and overlapping. You can use screws and fender washers to hold it in place.

Then, if you want more for sound, you can use the Lizard Skin on the inside.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Try laying wool army blankets on it, or u haul moving pads or sleeping bags and keep piling them on to get an idea of how much padding you will need. Now don't go to the homeless park and take theirs.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:34 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I just ordered some CertaTex blanket (not the cloth) in 1in thickness to recover the inside of my doghouse. I also have my radiator out, so i have ripped out the factory pool noodle material surrounding that and going to replace with the CeraTex blanket (like to insulate a boiler). I have also noticed that some of the Thomas buses have a steel heat plate over their turbo and manifold. I'm going to fabricate one up and line the top with CeraTex blanket as well. Is this a mistake over the 1/8 cloth? I have room for a full inch so i figure the blanket should be better overall right?

For noise, i have noticed most of my current noise comes from the turbo exhaust outlet into the stairwell. I think i'm going to add butyl mat to the metal and then cut XPS Foam to line the outside of the stairs.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:50 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
It's hard to go wrong with some basic old Rockwool, but I'd bet there's probably some better material around these days.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:58 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
https://www.secondskinaudio.com/shop/

i was really looking hard at the secondskin line of products.
The sprayable sound damening product - spectrum- is like lizardskin
they have dampening mats - like dynamat (kilmat)
they also have a line of noise absorbing foam mats - like studio foam. This is the stuff that will eat up general noise. The deadener just adds mass to lessen panel rattles and such. The Deadener matts and spray handle your Vibration and harmonics. Sound absorbing matts get the Noise. Need like a 2 or 3 part system to properly tackle NVH (Noise, vibration, Harmonics). They you need that third layer of heat blanket for that issue.
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote