Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 77
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 855 Cummins big cam
Rated Cap: single axle
What You Can Do With Nutserts

I don't know how anyone can seriously contemplate a skoolie build without a nutsert installation tool. This wonderful tool allows you to install a solid machine thread in even very light sheet metal. Here is an example I thought would be useful. My Toyota truck I bought new in '86 came with rear view mirrors more like passenger car mirrors. I always wanted a pair of the larger truck style mirrors. A couple of days ago I snagged these beauties for forty dollars. Nutserts made what could have been a difficult and shaky installation in that paper thin sheet metal pretty straight forward and solid. Imagine all the things you can do on your build with these. You can get collets for maybe ten to fifteen bucks each in just about any metric or standard size. The actual nutserts are pretty reasonable. I get them on ebay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	39369

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	39370

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	39371
Attached Thumbnails
065.JPG   066.JPG   067.JPG  

wireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

PlusNuts are even stronger. Use stainless
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 77
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 855 Cummins big cam
Rated Cap: single axle
Was not aware of these. Cool.
wireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
Bus Geek

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...d.php?p=815926

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=74877
Old 11-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
One thing about regular rivnuts (I'm just in the habit of calling them that instead of nutserts) is that if unsealed they will leak, both through the hole that the rivnut is inserted in and past the bolt that is screwed into the threads. I did not expect this to be the case when I first started using rivets, but I have a metal box experiment set up where I run a fastener of whatever kind through the bottom and then fill it with water to test for leaks. I was surprised to find that my pop rivets leaked unless I put them in "wet" with seam sealer around the hole, and that the rivnuts leaked the same way (and also leaked past the bolt if I sealed the rivnut itself).

It seems other people have reported their rivets being watertight on their own, so perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I've always put everything in wet since then. The thing with rivnuts is that you kind of want to be able to easily unscrew anything you run into them, so putting sealant on or around the bolt itself kind of defeats this. For my replacement LED lights on the back of my bus, I wanted to use rivuts and have them be watertight but still allow me to unscrew the lights when necessary, so I used closed rivnuts which are watertight (without glopping up the bolts) unlike the regular kind. Unfortunately, the biggest I could find were for 1/4-20 bolts, so I don't think the closed variety could be used for something like a roof rack attachment unless bigger-diameter ones are available somewhere.

Also, there seems to be at least two different types of rivnut setters available on Amazon, and they take mutually-incompatible bits (I broke off a couple of my bits when first using the tool and unfortunately ordered the wrong kind of bit replacement) but it's hard to tell which is which because some of the tools are knockoffs.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Butyl tape