Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Window Shades/Covers

I have added these window shades to our crown bus since we will be taking it for our first trip down to Tennessee from Missouri. Since it isn't really finished inside I though adding these shades will help with the heat a bit and also not allow anyone to look inside, also hopefully the campground we booked allows us to park there, we have tents in case we want to sleep outside but I hope they don't give us trouble, I even sent the reservations lady a picture of the bus and asked if that was fine and she said it was okay, I hope when we get to the park they don't give us any problems.

attached are pictures of the "RediShades" they basically are made of construction paper, I am not sure how long these will hold up to the heat and also to any dew that builds up on colder days, but at $15 for 6 of them on amazon, they are easily replaceable. I am probably going to custom drill holes on them and add wire/rope so it holds them butter sort of like blinds. I added them all the way from the back and just left the front 4 windows without them, since that's where I have seats right now.

The product: http://a.co/j7ApTho

if anyone is interested in following our build.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f32/19...ion-22653.html
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20180711_175015.jpg   IMG_20180711_175009.jpg   IMG_20180711_174729.jpg   IMG_20180711_174322.jpg  

Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I have added these window shades to our crown bus since we will be taking it for our first trip down to Tennessee from Missouri. Since it isn't really finished inside I though adding these shades will help with the heat a bit and also not allow anyone to look inside, also hopefully the campground we booked allows us to park there, we have tents in case we want to sleep outside but I hope they don't give us trouble, I even sent the reservations lady a picture of the bus and asked if that was fine and she said it was okay, I hope when we get to the park they don't give us any problems.

attached are pictures of the "RediShades" they basically are made of construction paper, I am not sure how long these will hold up to the heat and also to any dew that builds up on colder days, but at $15 for 6 of them on amazon, they are easily replaceable. I am probably going to custom drill holes on them and add wire/rope so it holds them butter sort of like blinds. I added them all the way from the back and just left the front 4 windows without them, since that's where I have seats right now.

The product: http://a.co/j7ApTho

if anyone is interested in following our build.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f32/19...ion-22653.html
Great Idea and what a beautiful Crown! I just love that curved look. Your bus looks really clean too. Following to see what you do with her.
fadderall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Beautiful bus, those Crowns have the best curves. I like your shade idea, I didn't think to use something like that so I did it the (somewhat) hard way. I made window quilts.

I used a layer of felt backed vinyl for the window side, a layer of fleece in the middle and cotton for the inside. They are attached at the bottom of the window and held in place at whatever level we want them with spring tension rods.
They seem to be making a big difference, the laser thermometer was reading an almost 40 degree difference between window glass and closed shade.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_0622.jpg   SAM_0623.jpg   SAM_0624.jpg  
Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Beautiful bus, those Crowns have the best curves. I like your shade idea, I didn't think to use something like that so I did it the (somewhat) hard way. I made window quilts.

I used a layer of felt backed vinyl for the window side, a layer of fleece in the middle and cotton for the inside. They are attached at the bottom of the window and held in place at whatever level we want them with spring tension rods.
They seem to be making a big difference, the laser thermometer was reading an almost 40 degree difference between window glass and closed shade.
Well you guys should stay away from this cheap window covers, they only lasted 1 week, the dew gets them wet and they start losing shape and we still have some water get through when raining by the window and got the material wet, I think fabric or vinyl material you used is probably best. It was worth a shot, very cheap and I guess I got what I paid for haha
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I'm a skoolie Noobie, so might be a dumb question.

But

Did you all remove the metal strips(not sure what they are called) down teh sides on the out side of your bus? Or was it standard with smooth sides?
navonifamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by navonifamily View Post
I'm a skoolie Noobie, so might be a dumb question.

But

Did you all remove the metal strips(not sure what they are called) down teh sides on the out side of your bus? Or was it standard with smooth sides?
Hey Navoni.
I think the crown may have come without them. Not sure. But they are called "rub rails". They are the rippled pieces that run down the side of most of the busses.
fadderall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I believe that the rub rails are a structural part of the bus, and should not be removed. Go to the "search" box at the top of the screen and I bet you'll get a better idea about them. (ya gotta type in what your searching for, 1st (-
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:44 PM   #8

Rub Rails

They serve another purpose as well. They let firemen know where the floor is, the bottoms of the seats are and the tops of the tops of the seats. That's why they line up with the rails
CHAD C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:23 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAD C View Post
They serve another purpose as well. They let firemen know where the floor is, the bottoms of the seats are and the tops of the tops of the seats. That's why they line up with the rails
That isn't true and has been debunked many times.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:06 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
at one time it may have been the case.. but manufacturers offer different positions for those rails.. some school districts spec where they are to go.. there are also different seats these days too..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:57 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
That isn't true and has been debunked many times.
Every bus type I've looked at has the rub rails not on the floor line. And it wouldn't really make sense to indicate that with something as thick as a rub rail when a painted line would do the same job.

It is a very persistent rumor, though - when I took my 14-hour certification class to become a school bus driver, one of the instructors asserted that this was true and the other said it wasn't and they had a big long argument about it. The guy who said it wasn't true was also the guy that taught us about the best way to kill a man with a knife (stab in the armpits, apparently), so I'm inclined to believe him.