Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #1

Red face 1947 Ford - "Purple Gator"

She has arrived! I'm new to the site, new to the concept, and new to the community. I have wanted to tackle a conversion for more than 20 years, and I finally found the perfect project!
I've already named her. I have a million ideas and zero experience. I have the most supportive husband (that doesn't mean he's not a little nervous for me), especially when I told him I wanted to learn to weld and do most everything myself! This is just a tiny introduction, so I'll post more, as I get to know her!

**If anyone has any information on this bus, I would really appreciate it. I'm having a very hard time finding anything out. I do know its a Wayne body because the medallion on the back has made it 73 years! But I can't find anything on how it is supposed to look. It was gutted when I bought it.

Any advice is SO welcome!

Thanks,

Cara
Attached Thumbnails
GatorsArrival.jpg  

purple-gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
That thing is awesome, but I am glad it will be you investing the time and money into that and not me. I love to see projects like that. The old busses look so much better than my modern flat nosed box.
I hope it goes well and that you are mentally and financially prepared for what lies ahead.
Please keep us posted with progress pics.
Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
I won't lie, I love curves!

If you don't have somebody to show you the basics take a beginners welding class at your local community college or maybe there one at a "Makers Space" near you.

To prevent being overwhelmed by different ideas and directions:
Decide on some basic things first --
What is your end-use-goal for this project?
1) restored 1947 school bus?
2) resto-mod rat-rod?
3) custom camper?

Then get more specific about how do you want to use the bus like:
If it's a camper-conversion do you envision driving x-country 1000's of miles or will you only be driving to the nearest lake a few weekends a year?

There are NO wrong answers but there are right answers only known by you -- and your right answers can change through time but the more you get right upfront the less rework you'll do later...

For instance, those sweet curves I mentioned -- I have a '54 Willys Wagon -- I got it in 1993. I rebuilt the original SuperHuricane flat-head 226 motor. It ran great. I drove that thing x-country twice. Turns out the Continental engine company originally designed that motor to run factory generators in the 1930's. Willys needed a cheap available design and bought the rights to make them in the early 1950's. Not a big surprise that wasn't the best powerplant for driving on the interstate in the 90's...
Fortunately I was able to sell the rebuilt motor and transmission to someone else doing a restoration when I re-powered mine with a more modern GM engine/transmission. (where the term restomod comes in -- my Willys looks original on the outside but when you lift the hood you at least step into the 20th century...) If I only wanted to drive my Willys at under 60mph and only locally, the ol' flathead engine would still be find -- but for modern speed, power, towing, reliability and ease of getting repair parts changing to a modern drive line is the way to go...

Oh, and as my wife always reminds me "if there's a part of the project that you don't enjoy doing, pay somebody else to do it! Keep the project fun for you or it won't get done..."

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Great find! I'd sure like to see a big bunch of "before" pics and to know what drive line it has.

As another old bus owner I can tell you that the line of people who want to look at your bus and ask questions NEVER ends. We've had to come up with a plan that gets one of us out of the bus at rest stops before actually parking or the "rest" never happens.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
46 or 47 wayne

Look for a bus owner “Tango” here on this site. His was a 47, I think. I have a 54 wayne and a 58. There are some around.
William. 785 2077600
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Tango s thread was 46 chevy shortie
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Do you have any auto or mechanical restoration experience?

If you don't mind me askin how much did you pay for that?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1947, ford, unexperienced, wayne