Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1990 Shortie

Howdy everyone!

I have a shortie that I am about half way to 3/4's finished. I have a couple floorplan pics in gallery "The Shortie" and I'll post some real Pictures in a few days.

It's only a Shortie so I don't plan on using it for full-timing or anything, but it sure makes camping in the rain more enjoyable than using a tent. It's pretty much a warm up for me until I find my "Perfect bus" Hopefully a 40 pass International. It's not quite as small as mine... but not too huge as to effect it's maneuverability in an unfamiliar town (I may change my mind on this)

For now tho... I am enjoying the work on this one, Im still working on plumbing the sink, finishing the Cabinets, Upholstery and trim baby.. lots o Good looking trim. I am curious if anybody has any further info on Roof racks?? I think I am going to make one out of wood for now (More affordable) I have the Idea in my head but I am mostly concerned about holes in my roof/side of the bus... Leakage has anyone had a problem or a solution for this, as I am sure more than one or two people out there have put some holes in their roof's.

Anyways Keep up the good work on all of your projects, Any insight on mine would be cool and Keep on Truckin'

Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
Skoolie

Just a thought on roof racks....with the caveat that I haven't built any, but have done roof decks, metal roofs, etc.....

There are screws for sheet metal that have rubber sealing washers built in, they are used for sheet metal roofing. These would do OK in many situations.
And whenever you put a hole in the roof, first thing you do before the fastener goes in is to add sealant, then more sealant around the fastener, and some between the roof and the thing laid on it (wood 'sleeper', metal support, etc.).
Use only sealants that remain flexible for their lifetimes. Some caulks dry out and get kinda brittle pretty quickly.

Seems many folks cut 2x10's (or something), cut arches across (to fit) the roof, with the decking laid on that.

While I like the idea of plastic decking, it's expensive and some is kinda HEAVY, buses may be fairly top-heavy as it is and I wouldn't want to add to a possible hazard. O'course, there ARE lighter synthetic decking materials, but the price goes up......

The newer ACQ pressure-treated is hell on fasteners, twice as corrosive as the old stuff. Use only RATED galvy or stainless fasteners, or watch the screws disappear......

Y'know, it occurs to me that there is a temporary safety railing BASE (made of heavy plastic, and yellow in color) that is used on work sites for railings and hand rails, etc. Maybe look into these, I've seen them in Fine Homebuilding, and The Journal of Light Construction magazines.
You build the rails and posts of 2x4s etc., using these bases and cross-pieces.

They may have been featured also on This Old House, which BTW has a TREMENDOUS resource site, for materials, suppliers, etc.

Lots to look at out there................look at the ROOF DECKS section on these forums.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Right on man... finally the answer I was looking for. I have seen those screws that you were talking about, and I have used them before, but I seem to remember the cost being quite high. I choose to go the sealant route, as I have done this before and it seems to work ok. As for the application of the sealant, I guess I was spot on... it seemed like a bit of overkill but come to think of it.. when it comes to roof leaks you can never be too careful.

I was pretty much just thinking of using 2x8's or 2x10's cut to the arch of the roof and secured with angle iron, then laying the deck on top (similar to Pablo's). PT lumber is not an option for me because of the corrosion factor. I was in fact thinking of using Cedar (looks nice) or just normal "el Cheapo" lumber and using somthing like "Thompsons Water seal" or would that be the same as using PT?? Im not sure.

As far as railings go... I havn't put much thought into it other than the fact that I want it light and removable, or possibly short (no more than 2ft) and permanant. Im sure the Idea will come once I put it to paper and start building... Just like most of my other projects, the engineering is a result of the building (anyone with me on that last comment) which is what makes all this Bus Building so fun. No plans man... coz it's mostly custom... cept for a few simple guidelines.

Anyhoo tx for the Reply
Take It slow Yall
Old 07-23-2005, 12:15 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Ah well, Screw the roof rack idea for now. Everything is torn out and im starting again, im pretty stoked!
Finished grinding away at the floor today and put down my first coat of paint. Floor took about 2 days longer than I expected, but that's most of the crappy work done. Other than handling the insulation, the rest is quite fun.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Finally, after a week of painting some real progress. Finished painting, caulking and covering the floor today. Took a while to do the floor... waiting for paint to dry and such, then painting the boards to lay down too. All the wet paint around kinda makes it hard to make any measurments in the bus, but in my downtime I managed to build up the frame-work for the walls too. Now that the wood is screwed down it looks real good, and im glad I took the extra time to do this part Well.

Should have some pic's in the gallery tomorrow, I think the paint on the floor is worth a look
Old 08-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Okay, your picture is about a close to a grizzly as I want to get! Boy, those are some beautiful places you have gone with the bus.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Heh.... that Pic was a total fluke. Grouse mountain, 20 min from my place, has a Grizzly Sanctuary, oh and a Wolf Sanctuary. If you ask me the area is too small, but that's how the world seems to treat animals now adays. There are Two Grizzly's there that have been rescued from the interior... one was hit by a truck I think... and im not sure about the other one.

Anyways, My Girlfriend took the Pic, She was standing on the fence post, Im sure she was about Six feet Away... couldn't have been much more, but the funny little (Big) thing just sat there for about 15 min just scratching himself and Yawning, Im not sure just how tame they are but YOU DO NOT want to get any closer than that.

Good fishing in that lake too, lotsa yummy Rainbow Trout
Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Pics are up with the floorwork done, I have now started on the walls. Didn't do any work on her today, neighbours were complaining.

Stapled this thing on my garage door a while ago:

Quite rude, they coulda just taked to me, so the agreement was to make noise till eight, Fair enough.
Now they want me to stop at around 4 or 5 coz that's when they get home from work. The city is kinda a bummer for this, I mean.. I could legaly keep going till 8, but does that make me a Jerk?? Im thinking kinda.

Anyways, figured i'd give them a break for today. Should have the walls Insulated and Skinned tomorrow, and maybe the back beds will be partially done too, at least that's my goal, coz I gotta get some of this junk outa my workshop and back in the bus.... more pics to come.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

tacked??

Dan-O, did they tack that on your door? If so, call your local police department and file a case for Criminal Mischief. That way when you find the person that did it you can have them arrested!
finfan3dp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Really?!... does that apply in Canada too? Coz I know exactly who it is, I can't prove it coz I don't have their voice on tape or anything but they come over and bug me all the time. Like I said, they want me to stop at 4oclock now coz that's what's convienient for them, but im still within the rules, what about me man. I gotta work too and this is what I choose to do after work.

I'ts an ongoing battle and im just a reid bending in the wind, would be nice to have somthing to throw back at them tho next time they confront me.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Just took the virtual walk-thru of yer floor, looks real nice! What did you use?

About the note on yer garage...did you wake up in Russia this morning?

P.S. Are ya gonna put the pole back in? Maybe you could put some (non-pointy) hooks on it for a coat / hat rack or something.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Saw Finfan3dp & your posts after I posted my last...want proof? Dust the note they stuck on yer door for fingerprints! Bet they wouldn't see THAT coming!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks man. I used this Marine grade rust stopping paint (orange), then I caulked every edge I could find with Butyl. The wood that I put down is just "PressBoard". I know, I know... damn PressBoard, but I threw on 3 coats of porch paint on the bottom and 4 on top (I had a lot left over from other projects) so it should stand up to the traffic while I do the work, before the carpet goes down.

Stripper pole is back in, Girlfriend likes it, and I find that I am using it too... but not in that way
it will act as a stud in my Entertainment centre construction too so I kinda need it there, and actually yeah, I have a hook on that to hang my hat
Old 08-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Construction Noise

I'd send them a note thanking them for confirming that legally you can work until 8PM in the evenings, and that you plan to do that since it's convenient for you.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Eric, that seems to be a pretty civilized thing to do, with just a hint of "Smart Ass" added to it I started today at around 7:30-8am and im planning to go right till 8 at night. If anyone has anything to say then this will probably stir it up, and on saturday I'll probably start getting some reactions.

Ah well, Moving soon anyways
Old 08-06-2005, 02:31 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Pretty much finished up the walls today (photos in gallery). I just fine tuned the framework, did the insulation, stapled up the vapour barrier and then skinned it. I'm a lot happier with the way these walls look compared to the first time I did it, just looks cleaner I guess.

Spent a lot of time just sitting in the Bus thinking about how everything will fit. I'm still sticking with pretty much the same floorplan so I pretty much know where it will all go but i'm gonna tape it out tomorrow just to make sure.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Looking good!!! You're making good use of the limited space. Sure feels nice to get over the rusty floor hurdle doesn't it? The floor in my bus made me question my decision to take on this project, but once I got past that it's been fun and I can't wait to go. I noticed your Suzuki awning, are you an old motocrosser too?
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:40 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Didn't get as much done today as I had hoped. I started with building a nice set of steps (3 steps) so that I can enter/exit the bus a bit easier through the side door. The sliding door is cool and all but I like the side door coz it's bigger, it's just easier to get things in and out this way during the construction process, wish I had done this long ago.

I taped out my floorplan to make sure everything fits and pretty much just sat in the bus for a while in case I decided to change anything, but I think I'm happy with what I have. I will be using a "combo" of both floor plans that I have drawn up. It will pretty much consist of a dining/sleeping area, night table, closet with a door that separates the sleeping/eating area from the Galley (Thanks for the Idea Steve) a small galley with stove and sink, entertainment center in the cab-over and some additional fold down seating and tables. I'll be drawing up the final floorplan in the next day or two.

Cleaned out my shop a bit and I found a bunch of neat suff up in the rafters that I had forgotten about, some very well built stainless steel boxes (2) about 2ft x 4ft that I may use for some basement storage and these:

I dunno about the fliptop one but the "Jeep" one I'm gonna clean up, paint and use it instead of my "El Cheapo" Plastic one.

Framed in the back wall but to do that I had to clean up some of my old lumber:

Pulling all those staples is a B1tch but It has to be done, some of the lumber I can use as is and the others will be taking 2 passes through the Jointer then 1 or 2 through the planer. This will leave me with some funny sized lumber but I'll make sure that it's consistant.

Thats about all I've got for ya's, Tune in tomorrow for some more progress.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:51 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis441
Looking good!!! You're making good use of the limited space. Sure feels nice to get over the rusty floor hurdle doesn't it? The floor in my bus made me question my decision to take on this project, but once I got past that it's been fun and I can't wait to go. I noticed your Suzuki awning, are you an old motocrosser too?
Thanks man, yeah with the space I have... I really have to make the most of it. The rusty floor: I had considered doing it with the first conversion but I thought It would take too long.. BINGO turns out I was right. Took so long to get all that flooring up, not to mention taking out everything that I had already built, and once I saw the condition of the floor, I was glad that I had taken the time on the second time around to fix this. After all everything gets built on top of the floor... Don't it?!

The Awning... My friend Picked it up from Burning man for me last year but yes I have done a fair bit of MX'ing back in the day but I havn't for a while now and have just stepped down to Freeride Mountain biking, but man... with the price of bikes (DH Bikes) and the tires... MX'ing is looking quite apealing once again... I just paid $95cdn for ONE tire for my bike... that's $30 less than a Tire for my bus... Now that's Highway robbery.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:50 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

... Haven't posted for a bit... feel like I'm moving backwards on this project. Well I finally got that back wall finished (pics in the gallery), I'm still itching from the "Pink"... guess I shoulda worn a turtleneck.

Oh well hopefully won't be touching that stuff again anytime soon.

Got one side of the bed done, let's see what happens tomorrow.