Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2021, 01:05 AM   #1

1997 Blue Bird P30 - "Hummingbird"

I've been researching buying myself a rocketship since last fall, and I finally found the right one for me at the beginning of May, when I took these pictures. I've been sitting on the forum for a pretty long time, reading and researching mostly, but I've made a few friends in direct messages. Hi Steve!

My bus is a 1997 Blue Bird P30 from Mount Baker School District in Washington with a 6.5L diesel engine (no turbo) and no real rust, just some patches on the floor I've treated and painted over with no issues. 175,000 miles, so not bad on that front. It's got 4 gears, but I'm still not sure which model the transmission is, though. It tickled 70 on the highway on the drive back home, but I think this will be more of a country road cruiser anyway. It's not a cheetah or a mountain goat, just a hummingbird that stops to taste the flowers along the way.

The previous owner had it for two years and was a mechanic, so he had changed the oil and the coolant and replaced the batteries and the exhaust pipe. Unfortunately he didn't get much further than that, and the bus stood in his yard for two years. He had to move to another state and selling the bus was easier than moving it. The owner he bought it from was a church that installed a trailer hitch and and bunk beds and used it as a camp retreat vehicle. From what he told me, the rear-axle had to be rebuilt as a result of the hauling, so I'm not planning on making use of the hitch beyond carrying a bicycle or short, light hauls.

These pictures were taken the week I bought the bus in early May. Since then I've torn up the floors, rust-treated them with Ospho, then painted them matte black Rustoleum and bought some R5 pink panther rigid foam for the flooring and the walls/ceiling, which I've also gutted. But before I can wrap up the interior, I am focusing on washing, sanding, caulking and painting the outside. I'll post those pictures in a follow up. Good night folks!
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC1906.JPG   _DSC1908.JPG   _DSC1914.JPG   _DSC1917.JPG   _DSC1918.JPG  

_DSC1920.JPG   _DSC1921.JPG   _DSC1922.JPG  

butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue bird, build thread, p30, washington state