Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #21
Skoolie

We were also delayed over an hour on I37 due to a terrible rollover. Requiring double airlife helicopters and fire departments from counties around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
glad you got the bus!!! re: the gauges.. very common.. if you can reach behind.. nearly behind the speedometer is the connector that contains the communications link between the ECM and the gauge panel.. and press on it.. they will usually come back to life.. Temp,oil,Volts,RPM,Speed are all on a CAN (J170 communication from the ECM to the Panel.. on my red bus.. they didnt work at all.. I took it apart, resoldered the connectors to the circuit board.. and they were good till about a month ago and will freeze after they get hot.. so i need to check it again..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
glad you got the bus!!! re: the gauges.. very common.. if you can reach behind.. nearly behind the speedometer is the connector that contains the communications link between the ECM and the gauge panel.. and press on it.. they will usually come back to life.. Temp,oil,Volts,RPM,Speed are all on a CAN (J170 communication from the ECM to the Panel.. on my red bus.. they didnt work at all.. I took it apart, resoldered the connectors to the circuit board.. and they were good till about a month ago and will freeze after they get hot.. so i need to check it again..
-Christopher
I will be looking at replacing the console, as it is pretty beat up. Curious about those digital consules I see pictures of.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #24
Skoolie

This morning before we headed out, I was met by APPD. The officer was friendly, could've sworn I met him somewhere before. The Neighbor accross the street apparently called 911 saying a bus was blocking the road. Here is the picture I took as the officer was leaving. The bus is clearly obstructing traffic on the interstate.

I went ahead and moved the bus anyway. A second picture to show it moved into the driveway. Almost unable to do because the neighbor accross the street parked their vehicles along the roadside, making fir a tight fit. The trip home was nice. Cruising at 55mph locked in cruise control. Even the steeper inclines were barely noticable except for the sound of the turbo spooling up.

She is now home. I only had 15 minutes to get ready for work, so I ditched the bus and bolted. Pictures to come.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:59 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
What part of Texas are you in Charles? I have a '99 International AmTran DT466E myself. Good luck with your build.

-Flyboy
Old 08-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
What part of Texas are you in Charles? I have a '99 International AmTran DT466E myself. Good luck with your build.

-Flyboy
Nearest big city to me is San Antonio.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Ok, you're about 2.5 hours away from me. Once again good luck with your build and just ask if you have any questions.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #28
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466E Allison 3000
Rated Cap: 84 Kids/56 Adults
Good to see another international 466e on here. I look forward to seeing your build

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattarn View Post
Good to see another international 466e on here. I look forward to seeing your build

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You can check out my build here if you'd like. www.flyboyrv.wordpress.com
Old 01-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #30
Skoolie

Update. Hurricane Harvey took a toll on us and our family. We recently moved to the San Antonio area from Rockport. The wife is about to pop with our latest addition to the family, and I have been short handed on stripping the bus. All of the flooring is out of the bus. Now I need to yank the interior walls, ceiling, and insulation.

I am still weighing what to do with the AC units. I would like to keep the forward AC if it is possible to strip the other two, but I have yet to see how the hvac is all tied together yet. Having ac while going down the road without using a generator to powered a roof top unit would be nice.

Anybody near by interested in learning the ins and outs for free? Just PM me, right now I doing this solo.

Once the wife pops with the new baby, I will be taking about 4 weeks off work, so I will be able to work on the bus full time.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Congrats in advance.

Another pair of hands to help work on the bus, huh? That's what I call advance planning. You can work them for years without violating the child labor laws.

You're actually making nice progress in that less than fun destructive period on the interior. Keep it up.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #32
Skoolie

To recap on progress.

Day 1 & 2: (Sometime in November)

I started at the back of the bus to remove the seats. I had a dozen 13mm and 1/2in wrenches I would put the closed end on the bolt heads along the isle, and impact the nuts of from below. After fighting feriously with wrenches flying loose, I had my wife sit in the bus and step on the wrench wrench to hold it in place, before moving on to the next. Once I got to the wheel well seats, they were the toughest due to a bit of corrosion on the bolts, so I had my wife hit the bolts with an impact at the same time I did to break them loose. Goggles necessary! As I went, I stacked the chairs in the back of the bus, until I was finished. I had to hit the rails in front of the bus with the angle grinder, because I could not access the nuts underneath. Removing the bolts in the chair rail was cake with an impact ratchet. A pain to do by hand.

Day 3: (Sometime in December)

Started pulling up the rubber flooring. Using a pry bar, it was easy. Some spots it seems like the morons spilled the glue, and it was impossible to get up. Most of the screws were easy to back out. #2 Phillips head screw holding the plywood to the floor. Some would strip out sadly. Many of the smaller screws in the metal trim along the walk way stripped. As I pulled up the plywood, I would really regret the stripped screws.

Day 4: (January 6th)

Pulled upper all the plywood, except the wood under the coolant line running to the heater in the back of the bus. I need to remove this before I continue the floor removal. I used my skills saw, and cut to a set depth along the hose down the length of the bus. Once I remove this, I can pull up these small remaining peices of plywood. It was not worth stalling the demo of the floor IMO. All the flooring is great. There are a few spots of surface rust, like at the rear door, and underneath the leaky emergency roof exits. Note to beginners, floor removal requires physical exertion, lol.

Day 5: (Jan 11th)

Okay, I was lazy. I started on some minor things. I pulled out the flashing lights front and rear. I should go ahead and pull all lights at some point in all honesty since we are going to seal and repaint the bus. I would like new led running lights anyway. The blinkers and and turn signals are good IMO though. Only 1 is upgraded to LED, those are my preference, I'd if it is worth the cost to upgrade.

I un-bolted and removed the stop sign. A major pain. Especially with a constant hot 12v? That surprised me. It was also shorting against the sheet metal. Cut the wires, bobbed em, and moved to panel.

I had to break into the electrical panel outside the bus, as the lock was corroded from the salt air I suppose. Sadly the lock for the bus door is corroded as well. Once inside, it was a rats nest. First I tracked down the circuit for the no-child-left-in-bus alarm system and removed it all. I yanked the camera system out completely. Then I started on disconnecting the emergency lighting systems. I forgot what all I did, haha. I Need to get back out and get some work done on the bus, but the wife is almost ready to pop. Could be today, could be two more weeks, who knows. I will add pictures during the next step. I am sure some people want to see how to cap off and remove heaters and such.