Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
35 Chevy school bus

I'm able to post on everyone else's thread but not my own. Lets see what happens here.

I'm feeling all smug. I've had a check engine lamp glowing on my little bus for a year now. I talked to the local Isuzu dealer about it as soon as it came on and was told that it would cost $200 to scan for the problem and then we would go from there. The bus seemed to drive just fine though the fuel economy took a nose dive. Down from 17 mpg to a bit over 14. A little while ago I bought a dealer level scan tool that covers the engine, trans, ABS brakes, wiring and troubleshooting. I decided to wait until there was a lull in the camping activities before I risked tearing into the problem. I plugged in and immediately was told that the mas air flow/ air temp sensor was showing low voltage. It took me longer to open the hood than it did for me to spot the MAF sensor and about a second longer to find the broken in the insulation 12v power wire. A big Isuzu parts house in Santa Ana, Ca was able to ship me a 3" long wire patch that slipped right into the 5 wire plug at the MAF sensor. The wire cost $8, the shipping $12. A half hour later the wire was installed, the code cleared and the check engine light out--whooppie

As I read through the diagnostics I saw that the computer automatically resets the fuel management to whatever reading it was at just as the wire went open. Though I wasn't seeing smoke, I'll bet the wire broke at cold idle which would account for the poor fuel economy.

Though I know wish full thinking when I engage in it, a buddy who has had his trucks worked on at the same dealership assured me that he had never gotten out of the shop after an electrical problem for less than $1500. Since the scanner cost me $1500 that news made me feel good (better?)--still, $200 savings leaves $1300 cost--Oh Well. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
which scan tool do you have? (curiosity for me since im a scan tool geek).. and yeah these compuiters will run on a pre-set when a major sensor like that goes Bust.. fortunately you got out easy!!.. the scan tool is a great thing to have.. not only have i used mine for my own bus.. ive used it on several others, while i dont charge any $$ for it.. at least i know its getting used rather than just sitting in the back of my bus (yeah I carry it along with me just in case)...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Hey Christopher. The scan tool is an ISUZU IDSS II 2 Truck Diagnostic Scanner Dealer Scan Tool NRR NPR NQR FTR FRR with a Panasonic Toughbook computer. Jack
Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's a happy ending for all except your checking account.

Howdy Jack.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Sounds good Jack. Now all you have to do is break/fix another $1300 worth of goodies and you are even!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
nice scan tool... I keep scan tools around.. if nothing else it keeps a shop honest... you walk in with the codes and results of the self tests and they know they cant BS you around... thats worth the cost of the tool..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Hello All

I'm trying tapatalk again--hope it works! Jack

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk