Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #481
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I will post more when I get a chance.

A few random thoughts on doing different. I should have purchased all the screws and hardware somewhere less expensive than ace. Ended up being like $100 in stinking screws washers, and nuts. Also, getting the panel in place and then drilling both the lexan and steel at once would have helped a lot with registration. I marked with a template but bits drift a little and it adds up. So far they are working great but I am nervous about scratches and about the impact this will have on insulation. I'm planning on thermal covers but haven't made them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fastener hardware is cheaper at TSC, they sell by the pound and not the part, so it's WAY cheaper. As for your insulation in the skylights I would cut blocks of 2" rigid foam to push up into the cavity to block light and insulate at the same time. I love that idea for sky lights and will use it myself. It the lexan is curved to the right contour I would silicone them down with weight on top to squish them tight and then come back after it's dry to drill and rivet or screw them down. Self tapping screws would work without needing a nut and washer on the other side.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #482
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Well, it's not a runner....can't fix on site....is $1000 tow away....and would be another full-sized bus in my driveway. Might just put the Mrs. over the edge.

I'm still going to put in a low bid, guy wants gone b4 Winter.
I found one like that locally, $1k obo, It runs good, looks good, but needs a tranny. I might consider it for a 2nd or 3rd build.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #483
Bus Geek

Quote:
We'll see how it goes with the blue for now. It is only the last six feet and it is a bedroom that will be used primarily at night when the sun isn't a factor. I've got the foam sprayers coming tomorrow to give a quote on spraying closed cell two part foam, which the guy says will give me r-26. I can always repaint it white easily if need be. I'm not sure now many gallons. I mixed the colors myself (none of which look right in pictures so far but I'm really pleased in person) so I mixed extra for future fixes. Probably 2 quarts black, 1.5 gallons white, 3 quarts light blue, and 2 quarts dark blue. Now if I can just figure out why my turn signals don't work anymore after reinstalling them that would be great!

Check that they are properly grounded, you may have covered some ground spots with paint.

Well as you can tell by now, I have just read your whole thread, quite informational.
I like you spray insulation and it gives me faith that I might lean towards that after deciding after see every other spray job that was sprayed on so thick it expanded past usable depth and hours had to be spent shaving it back down. Yours doesn't look like they filled the whole cavity. How thick is it. Yours has the advantage of having plenty of room left for electrical wiring. I've picked up some more ideas from your build.Great build.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #484
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Space, not only for electrical wiring but for a thermal break.

That foam trimming sounds vaguely familiar for some reason. I was saying some very bad words about the spray foam guy.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #485
Bus Geek

What did the professional spray foam job cost? I figured the cost of rigid insulation in a 40'er would be between $750-$900
Old 01-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #486
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It was $800 to have the guy spray it. That means all prep and masking were on me. It took several days to mask everything off properly and close to that much time to clean up after. It only took the guy about 1.5 hours to spray it.

My spray guy way overfilled all the cavities causing me to do several weeks worth of trimming.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #487
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It was $800 to have the guy spray it. That means all prep and masking were on me. It took several days to mask everything off properly and close to that much time to clean up after. It only took the guy about 1.5 hours to spray it.

My spray guy way overfilled all the cavities causing me to do several weeks worth of trimming.
I don't want what you got, I wanna know what david paid to do it right.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #488
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Check that they are properly grounded, you may have covered some ground spots with paint.

Well as you can tell by now, I have just read your whole thread, quite informational.
I like you spray insulation and it gives me faith that I might lean towards that after deciding after see every other spray job that was sprayed on so thick it expanded past usable depth and hours had to be spent shaving it back down. Yours doesn't look like they filled the whole cavity. How thick is it. Yours has the advantage of having plenty of room left for electrical wiring. I've picked up some more ideas from your build.Great build.

Foam was $1175 out the door. That was with me doing a lot of masking prep and whatever trimming I decided I needed to do beyond what they did. 36’ bus. Included wheel wells and rear engine cover.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #489
Bus Crazy

Working on 12v electrical tonight. Oem battery box is below the floor in this shot. Underneath is a breaker and a 140 amp voltage sensitive relay that opens either direction in charge situations and closes under drain, and a 250 amp breaker. As you can see, two more breakers up here, one that allows me to manually isolate starter batteries and another that protects toward the load of my inverter and house 12v system. That portion isn't wired yet...

Old 01-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #490
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

My foam is about 1.5" in the ceiling and 2.5 to 3" in the walls. The foam job isn't perfect but it's better than I probably could have done.

Glad you enjoyed and got some value!

Old 01-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #491
Bus Crazy

Conduit down to the battery box.

Conduit coming into the battery box from above.

Now the two gauge wire has been run. In addition to the conduit I put the wire inside of vinyl tubing to help give additional vibration protection. These lines will be caring a lot of amps and I don’t want to start a fire. That’s why I put breakers on both ends of the system as well. The blue light shows that my charger is working and charging not only my house batteries but my starter batteries.

The battery box does not have walls yet so it is not isolating the compartment from the rest of the bus like it will eventually but it is at least roughed in. It is generally how the inverter/charger will fit on top of the box as well.

I currently only have two deep cycle AGM house batteries but I built the enclosure to be able to hold four.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #492
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
That's a nice looking inverter there

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #493
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
That's a nice looking inverter there

Thanks! So far I like it! Hopefully will have at least one functional circuit installed in the bus tomorrow fed from a 30 amp line from it!

Old 01-06-2018, 10:47 PM   #494
Bus Crazy

More work in progress...

Old 01-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #495
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
how many watt inverter on 2 Gauge wire? seems like a big inverter for small wire.. I guess your distance is a lot less than mine,, I put my inverter near the back of the bus so i had about 22 feet of wire... I had to run 2/0 wire for my 1500 watt inverter.. (and the charge wire to the house batteries which are next to the inverter).. that gave me very little voltage drop from the main bus system (I charge with my 200 amp alt.) ..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #496
Bus Crazy

I calculated the load. It is a 2500 watt inverter. Total wire length is only a few feet - around 6 I think including both directions. I did the math on it using one of those online guides. Hopefully it is correct!

Old 01-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #497
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
David,

My apologies, I must have missed it somewhere, but how much load are you putting on the inverter?

My inverter is a 45 amp (read VERY expensive) inverter and I'm only putting on, at most, 20 amps. It's just enough to power my A/C and refrigerator as I'm driving down the road with my wife using her computer all at the same time with an anticipated start-up draw if all three power up at the same time (worst case scenario). I prefer to use slightly less than half power at any time to save my investment, and to prevent the possibility of electrical fire.

Just concerned, nothing more....

M
Old 01-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #498
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
I calculated the load. It is a 2500 watt inverter. Total wire length is only a few feet - around 6 I think including both directions. I did the math on it using one of those online guides. Hopefully it is correct!

A 2500W inverter is more than enough for any anticipated loads other than big AC units.

I'll probably go with the AIMS 2000W Inveter/Charger. That's more than enough power and cost is a factor. Smaller than 2kW and the charger part can't deliver the charge rate I want.

I guess if you want to use an induction stove and a microwave at the same time, you might need bigger but they get very expensive, very fast.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #499
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
David,

My apologies, I must have missed it somewhere, but how much load are you putting on the inverter?

My inverter is a 45 amp (read VERY expensive) inverter and I'm only putting on, at most, 20 amps. It's just enough to power my A/C and refrigerator as I'm driving down the road with my wife using her computer all at the same time with an anticipated start-up draw if all three power up at the same time (worst case scenario). I prefer to use slightly less than half power at any time to save my investment, and to prevent the possibility of electrical fire.

Just concerned, nothing more....

M

So your inverter is around 4000 W? I plan to put 15 to 1600 W on the inverter which seems like a reasonable load for 2500 W inverter. The inverter can produce up to 7000 W for30seconds. It’s built with solid-state technology and large capacitors. I’m running 30 amp service to my main electrical panel because my shore power will come through my inverter as well. It’s an automatic transfer switch with a 30 A breaker. So shore power will come through the inlet directly to the inverter/charger from there to my service panel that will supply 120 V to the bus.

What kind of an alternator are you running?

Old 01-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #500
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
A 2500W inverter is more than enough for any anticipated loads other than big AC units.

I'll probably go with the AIMS 2000W Inveter/Charger. That's more than enough power and cost is a factor. Smaller than 2kW and the charger part can't deliver the charge rate I want.

I guess if you want to use an induction stove and a microwave at the same time, you might need bigger but they get very expensive, very fast.

Are you looking at their blue inverters? I poked around and found that they have a line that is painted green which has the same components as-the blue ones but with fewer bells and whistles The one that I got does everything I need and more and was less expensive then the lower wattage unit in the blue series. They also make a much lower cost series that didn’t seem to do the things I needed it too.