Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
$4 grand to spend on solar? What would you do?

So I recently came across a few grand and am wondering what is the most cost effective to buld some solar power...from the panels to the batteries. Thanks Rebel math is welcome.

JHerrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry about the phone post..Home now. I would just like some input with exp. We have a 29 ft BB and are trying to solar panel for boondocking. I have a few bucks to spend (rarely ) but would love some insight.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Bus Geek

too many variables

Start with a list of what you want use, when (daylight/night) and what they draw

then you will need a battery back to support what you can make and store

then you can look at panels and controllers, one thing to keep in mind, higher voltage panels can use smaller wiring, but the controllers can cost more

lots of info out there, I have used solarblvd with good success and check this out until others post

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Start with a system you can afford, make sure you can add panels & batteries later on. Of coure youll have to upgrade converter too. But ive only been researching and have zero hands on.

You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the reply bansil...I guess my next question I who knows an installer and seller in NC.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Should I split the difference money wise and get a genny and smaller solar..This decision makes my brain hurt.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerrin View Post
Should I split the difference money wise and get a genny and smaller solar..This decision makes my brain hurt.
This is the same question that I have been struggling with. My problem is that I want air conditioning. I'd love to go solar but it seems like all in for a good system that can boondock for a week or more is $3-$4k. But then I'd have only a few hours of AC I think, which is especially pesky for driving.

A good, quiet diesel generator (I'd rather not add a third fuel besides diesel/propane) is also $3-$4k, and it would power everything including AC, and would power that AC going down the road all day long.

If it weren't for AC I'd go all solar. As it is I think I'll need to make it "solar ready" by running the wires and installing the roof connections before I insulate, and then find a good diesel generator and think more about solar when and if I ever find enough money.
Bus Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
Bus Nut

My plan is to drop $6000 on a solar system. And find a genny for just my AC most of the time. Run the AC soley off genny and solar runs everything else. But i know there is a flaw in my plan..always is.

You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to
Old 11-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
This thread has me thinking that i may go with a generator next summer for the ac.
I just used fans this summer, which my 200w Renogy system powered just fine.

Also i planned on installing more pannels, at least 400w, but my gut said wait and sure enough it was accurate; this 200w system has provided me with everything that i need-
Charge laptop, cordless drill, cordless shavers, cell phone, lights, stereo, TV, and fans.

This winter i watch around two hours of tv, with the lights on, and have yet to even run the batteries low (two Trojan t105)

I use propane heat and stovetop.

I am quite surprised at how well this has performed for me. This week i used a electric sander for at least 20 minutes straight, two days in a row, and barely pulled the voltage down from 13.4v to 12.4 and still had more than enough juice for the evening.

I use lamps with LED bulbs (9w) a LED tv that is 28W. So with this new low power stuff, a little solar goes a long way. After a lot of research into running a solar setup big enough for AC it just seemed too much hassle and this was a darn hot summer but the bus has two rows of windows and the fans helped a lot. I survived. Just laid around a lot.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

A good genny seems the way to go. I hate the smell and waste.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I am wondering if there is a buyitall kinda kit. I am a electrical mooooron.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
DJ's energy

260 watt renogy panels, I chose the 10 pack for my buses first panels. They were 3000 at the time. I think they cost around 250$ per panel on renogy site without shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/RENOGY%C2%AE-...ds=renogy+260w

For the solar controller I chose
Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 250/85-MC4
Had to go with a 48v system as its the only option to expand beyond 3000 watts. Also running a system with low amps saves money on wire and 48v is a much more efficient system.

Went with a hybrid inverter that will run up to two ac's/heaters as well as lights fridge etc with ease.
]Victron Energy Quattro 48/5000/70-100/100 120V/60Hz +50A aux Inv./Ch.

Finally batteries, tesla car batteries. Had to go with 18650 modules and tesla car batteries are the cheapest option out there and they are from a reliable source averaging around 50 cents a cell versus spending an equivlent of $5,000 per 24v @ 250AH on most other brands. I was lucky and bought some 2016 modules with only 300 miles on them, never know what you will find on ebay.
Tesla Model S battery module, 24V, 250Ah, 5.3kWh, 444 Panasonic 18650 3400mAh | eBay

This setup isn't cheap but it will do the job for years to come with minimal maintenance/future costs.
djthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djthe3rd View Post
260 watt renogy panels, I chose the 10 pack for my buses first panels. They were 3000 at the time. I think they cost around 250$ per panel on renogy site without shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/RENOGY%C2%AE-...ds=renogy+260w

For the solar controller I chose
Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 250/85-MC4
Had to go with a 48v system as its the only option to expand beyond 3000 watts. Also running a system with low amps saves money on wire and 48v is a much more efficient system.

Went with a hybrid inverter that will run up to two ac's/heaters as well as lights fridge etc with ease.
]Victron Energy Quattro 48/5000/70-100/100 120V/60Hz +50A aux Inv./Ch.

Finally batteries, tesla car batteries. Had to go with 18650 modules and tesla car batteries are the cheapest option out there and they are from a reliable source averaging around 50 cents a cell versus spending an equivlent of $5,000 per 24v @ 250AH on most other brands. I was lucky and bought some 2016 modules with only 300 miles on them, never know what you will find on ebay.
Tesla Model S battery module, 24V, 250Ah, 5.3kWh, 444 Panasonic 18650 3400mAh | eBay

This setup isn't cheap but it will do the job for years to come with minimal maintenance/future costs.
Tesla batteries? Output of 250mah..ok, i was seriously considering lithium ion 6v batteries. Do you have these teslas in use right now? How low can you run them? 50%? Im all kinds of excited about these.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Well my inverter allow's a voltage shutoff of 37.2 volts, at 100% SoC they are 50.2v so I could cycle them with my setup to a full drain, but I keep around 90% SoC and only drain to 30-50% for battery longevity. Which with my setup of running an ac lights fridge etc I average about 5-30amp draw/hr so that gives me 5-6 hours of ac at night with my current two module setup. If I don't put the ac on 60 all night I can easily last 12 hrs on just two tesla modules
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Well my inverter allow's a voltage shutoff of 37.2 volts, at 100% SoC they are 50.2v so I could cycle them with my setup to a full drain, but I keep around 90% SoC and only drain to 30-50% for battery longevity. Which with my setup of running an ac lights fridge etc I average about 5-30amp draw/hr so that gives me 5-6 hours of ac at night with my current two module setup. If I don't put the ac on 60 all night I can easily last 12 hrs on just two tesla modules
I did a little research on these tesla batteries for solar use. They say that one of the packs is only meant to be recharged about 50 times a year. These are alot less than the lithium ion i was considering. Ive got some time before i get to that point. Could you keep me updated on those batteries?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Sure, don't know where you read that but mine are modules out of a 90D and most others are out of a 85D. They are made out of 444 panasonic 18650 cells in 6 series 74 parallel and rated for 8 years in the vehicle, which most people charge their tesla daily. 50 charges would mean most people charge once a week at an average of 300 mile range thats less than 42 miles a day, which is feasible. Through my research of batteries and people building their own 18650 batteries the longevity is around 3000-5000 cycle life but I will gladly keep you up to date on the life cycle It is very important to not overcharge/keep lithium batteries topped off though they much prefer 85-90% of their capacity for more cycle life.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Sure, don't know where you read that but mine are modules out of a 90D and most others are out of a 85D. They are made out of 444 panasonic 18650 cells in 6 series 74 parallel and rated for 8 years in the vehicle, which most people charge their tesla daily. 50 charges would mean most people charge once a week at an average of 300 mile range thats less than 42 miles a day, which is feasible. Through my research of batteries and people building their own 18650 batteries the longevity is around 3000-5000 cycle life but I will gladly keep you up to date on the life cycle It is very important to not overcharge/keep lithium batteries topped off though they much prefer 85-90% of their capacity for more cycle life.
If there is a better option than lithium im interested. I had no idea tesla batteries were even available, let alone using them in a skoolie. I had read an article on the tesla after you posted it. Looking at the article ,it was printed in 2014.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
I have a 480 watt solar system with four six volt "golf cart" type batteries. With a good charge converter, a 2000watt pure sine inverter, large wire, power disconnects, connectors, brackets, good battery monitor... I spent around $1500 give or take. I plan to use only 20-30% of the available power from my batteries so they should last for many years. I will run a small 110vac fridge, all led lights, cook some on an induction stove and make a few cups of coffee. I can even take the occasional siesta during a sunny afternoon, closing off the back of the bus and running the AC for a couple of hours. I will heat with propane and supplement cooking with a Coleman gas stove when I am low on electrons.

I used two 240 watt house size panels running in parallel. I think a third panel in parallel ( for a total of 720 watts) and another couple of batteries (6 in all) would be a very suitable system for a boondocker camper. Six batteries would be a good balance to a 720 watt system. You would rarely want for more. You will get energy on a cloudy day! My panels are flat and I'm charging my 12v battery bank from 7am to 7pm. On a sunny day I am getting a solid 350 watts or better for five or six hours and tapering off from there. My panels are 48volt and allow me to charge my batteries for longer daylight hours.

You could put a 720 watt system with six batteries, charge controller, inverter, battery monitor, disconnects, fuses, and big wire for well under $2500 and I dare say never need a genny. When you do, pull in to a campground for a few nights and hook up.

As for ac, you're mobile! Go north when it's hot, south when it's cold. Follow the weather you like and drink multicolored beverages when things are a bit too warm.

That's where I'd start!

Best of luck!

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

All I can say is wow...Thanks for all the info and advice. I am not so impressed with the GoPowerstuff I have looked at and am willing to bet, like Ross stated, I could build my own system for a bunch cheaper. A/C will not be an issue as we have not. Lights,computer, sewing machine, fridge yada yada. Basics as I see it. Its all just so confusing.
Thinking a generator may be best.....JK!

Jeremy

BTW I am located in Yadkin Cnty NC so if anybody wants to swing by and give me some pointers Id be willing to give you a great wine tour. About 15 vineyards within 25 minutes of my home. Just saying!!!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Oh and Ross...I have no shame in reproducing my system after yours if it works.