Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #1

4x4 Conversion

Hello, Noob here.

I did the right thing and did a search first but came up with nothing.

I am researching building an expedition vehicle and like the early DT466 engines. (1984- 1995)

These happen to be very plentiful in school buses. Certainly I've seen many a school bus converted to an RV configuration. So I'd have a good base to start with already.

But for what I want, 4x4 is needed. Has anyone here done a 4x4 conversion?

Thanks for any guidance.

Paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Back in the day we had a couple of that vintage of 4x4 bucket and digger trucks that were international for building powerlines. They worked good, had the dt466 but were limited to about 55 on the highway due to lower gearing. Not sure out junk yard availability but I know they made them.
HTH
Eric
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Your best bet would be getting a set of Rockwell military axles and designing a divorced t case. A lot of work but it can be done. Just surf online at military surplus sites.
Oregon's bus guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's, I found a couple of places to do the 4x4 conversion, looks to be about 15K, which is within reason for this build.
But I do cut and weld, so if someone had done it and I had a resource, I could do it myself and save some change.

I can't believe how cheap some of the buses are, I had no idea.

Any suggestions of good places to buy buses from? I'm in Ohio, so in the Midwest would be great. Again, I'm looking for a larger bus, with a mechanical injected DT466t years 1984-1995 according to my research.

The upside of having it done is it will be new components, I'll be able to pick rear end ratio's, add selectable lockers, etc. , instead of trying to track down all the misc. pieces and parts from a salvage yard.

That can be a real time killer.

Is there a place where I can get bus specs? I see them advertised as 78 seat or whatever, but how long is that?
Old 12-06-2015, 01:30 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Dt466 had a few mechanical engines still up to 1997. I've heard of a 1998 bus with a presumably 1997 engine.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

Found more info about length, looking a windows, etc. But still looking for more in depth specifications.

The 'net has that info, just have to find it!
Old 12-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Bus Nut

All busses are basically One Ofs. They are made to spec per order which is why you can't just say ALL make X model Y's have these parts. The only thing that is kind of stock is the body its self. However even those can have options too. The only real thing that can be inferred from the model number is the headlights, the windshield, and the frame. Everything else can be slightly different or have an optional part in its place.

And all that is assuming no part was ever swapped by the district that operated it.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote