Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22
91 Thomas,International Shorty

Hello fellow bussers ,
Anyone have one of these . We'r having a diesel tank problem . It has a 35 gal. tank and would like to know if it has a filter inside tank ?

Also time for new battery . Thinking of seeling but really enjoyed it so not sure yet . We have traveled 5,000 mi.s so far . GMAC insured it .

We painted it solid white , put holding tank, toilet. Put captain chairs up front and carpet throughout . New tires ' $1600 ' .

What kind of battery is best and how to clean out diesel tank .

Thanks very much

shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Almost There

Re: 91 Thomas,International Shorty

Thanks Smitty . But I was hoping you'd give me an easier way to clean that tank ,LOL . My husband took lines off and put a can of diesel on the frame beside engine and it cranks so it must be in the line from tank forward .

Now we think the battery has gone bad . But we need to move it off the chicken pen where parked it in the shade , can't pull down the hood . Didn't think we wouod have problem starting it !.

Can you tell me what kind of battery is the best for it ?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Almost There

Re: 91 Thomas,International Shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
lol, sorry but the way to clean the tank requires removing it. You're saying the bus won't run with the fuel lines hooked to the tank, but it will run from a different tank (you said it "cranks")? If so, then yes, you have a blockage between that point and the tank.

Have you checked for a fuel filter under the bus, along the chassis? Are you sure a hose isn't kinked when connected to the tank?

As far as the battery, you should be able to take it with you wherever you want to buy a battery from, be sure and tell them what it's for, and that you get a proper-sized battery. If your asking what brand is best, you'll get many different opinions.

Smitty
Thanks Smitty
I'm the husband of Meerkat and I just figured I would update this post.Since we had posted the questions on here I've solved the problems we had.Also the new tires we had put on were $2600.00 not $1600.00 like my wife had put on here.Anyway the problem was not the tank it was the fuel pump.When it first started not cranking we put a fuel pump on and it fixed it for awhile , so when it started doing it again the last ting we thought is that the new fuel pump went bad too.But sure enough it did and Im telling you it drove me nuts before I figured it out
Now it cranks everytime you turn the key.So we've made a few more trips in since then.The last one was to the beach and meerkat my wife drove it about 2 miles down the beach scared to death she was gonna get stuck , but it only slowed to a crawl in the solf sand and kept going . I guess being a doolie on the rear helps them more than I thought.She would'nt let me take over the helm so I just sit there and agrevated her and got hate looks from her.HaHa
Its really a good bus and we got alot of compliments on it from the older people and all the kids look at like they are ashame of it.We just laughed at them and remembered our kid when they were home and how embarrest they use to get of our old cars we had
Well I guess I'll close for now and come back latter and see if anyone replies.