Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 05:28 AM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
93 chevy 3500 short bus *PleaseRead

Single mother looking to take a 1993 Chevy short bus and use it as shuttle or transit bus for working adults. Needing info on if i would need to obtain a CDL? What kind of insurance for these vehicles? Any iinformation is appreciated.. Thanks!!!

naybaby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut
superdave's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: hills of sw virginia
Posts: 889
Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
yes you need cdl, commercial insurance policy
living in a bus down by the river.
my build pics
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 20
That depends. If it's 16 passengers or less, has hydraulic brakes, and is under 26,001 pounds, all you would need is a regular license. If it's under weight and less than 17 passenger and it has air brakes you can get by with a regular with air brakes endorsement. Or if it's just over 16 passenger, you can just get a passenger endorsement.

As for the insurance, I'm not sure since you would be using it for commercial reasons. The company that insures you might have licensing requirements that you would need to meet to get the insurance too.

I work in public transit, obviously our full size buses require class B with passenger. Our para-transit buses are a bit different though. Our insurance company requires all of our drivers to have a passenger endorsement regardless of the amount of people the vehicle hold, but you can have a class C and get a passenger endorsement, you don't need a commercial license.

All states differ a little on what they require too, so the safest bet is to contact your local DOT/DMV and ask them, because they'll be the ones giving you the ticket if we gave wrong info.
Ironwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
New Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Thumbs up hey

Thanks... I appreciate the response... Studying the guide to take test on Tuesday!!! Wish me luck... Any advice for the skills/driving test.. and basic controls test?
naybaby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 20
Can't really study for the skills test. I can tell you the 2 main areas people always fail is the walk around inspection and the brake check portion if doing air brakes. You must get all 3 parts in the correct order or else it's immediate fail. Bwing able to back is a definite must, you might even have to parallel park. I had to parallel park a 30 foot wrecker that was towing a 35 foot transit vehicle, but my boss, who took the test the same day I did (different examine administered his), did not have to parallel park. It all depends on the examiner.

For the written test, go to Trucker Country | Helping Truckers Since 2004!
They have tons of practice test for you to take. I believe they have everything but school bus practice test now. They are a wonderful source for the general knowledge, air brakes, and passenger test (and anything involving trucking). When I took the 5 test I had to take, every single question that was on my exams, they had in their practice test.

If you can pass their practice test, you can pass the computer/written test just fine.
Ironwindow is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.