Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2023, 07:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9l 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
95 Thomas Saf-T-Liner 15" under-window roof raise

hello! This is a thread with pictures and details of a 95 Thomas SafTLiner roof raise. This has turned into quite the project, between doing this outdoors and for the first time I feel as though I have bitten off quite a lot. We chose to to raise the windows along with the roof so that we could have full height counters that didn't cover the windows and so we could look out the windows without leaning over. Materials used in the conversion include:
18 gauge mild steel
1"x1"x.120" wall mild steel square tubing
several sizes of steel angle.
I'm happy to answer questions about tools and techniques if there are any.
Attached Thumbnails
whole_bus.jpg   Back_cut_detail.jpg   Front_cut_detail.jpg   Rib_Detail.jpg   Side_detail.jpg  

Samweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:28 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

rear panels

the sides are finally done and its on to the back, the cut across the very back of the bus was made in the only part that was vertical sheet metal AND wasn't part of the engine bay we will be losing a couple windows on either side of the back but different types of windows or windows added back into the sheet metal would not be hard to accomplish. Also if this is where the bed ends up it will ad some privacy.
Attached Thumbnails
Back panel.jpg   corner bends detail.jpg   corner fitup.jpg   Back_and_Corner.jpg   corner welded in place.jpg  

Old 01-29-2023, 07:35 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

window replacement panels

as mentioned in the previous post we lost some windows due to the way we cut the bus apart. these are the panels being put in place of the windows.
Attached Thumbnails
lower fill in inside.jpg   panel support detail.jpg   lower fill outside.jpg   upper fill pre fit.jpg   upper fill first fitup.jpg  

Old 02-04-2023, 05:05 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins mechanical injection
Those pieces of sheet metal on the ends of the bench seat below the windows that are welded to the rib had fiberglass behind them on mine, I cut them out and spray foamed that section. I also removed those back windows, mine has the transit style windows that are twice as long but the two in the back were shorter single-rib versions. I riveted a panel where the window was. Yours looks pretty good so far, I like that curved corner piece
Attached Thumbnails
4F603862-62A7-4219-9C59-D35A3E3B9392.jpg  
Jackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:44 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! I didn't have a slip roll so I did the best I could with my home made sheet metal break